condemed house boiler- any ideas on cost of replacement

MandyAndy

Our boiler has just been turned off as a danger to all, and we need a new one apparently, been working fine but had a leak on to it and the casing has a hole in the top.

Any ideas on what a new one should cost with fitting etc.

No heating now till it gets fixed - great!! think we will get van onto drive and live in that.

thanks

Mandy

Mandy ,

How longs a peice of string ???

What a you choosing

Who do you know

If its the Gas board expect a large amount it all really depends on what you want . If you want my Boiler a Wocester it will cost you just for the boiler £1300 and again a Vokera is a good make it depends on what you want to do and heat . My boiler is so big because people say I'm running a hotel ? so I need to push all that heating around also we have under floor heating ? Its a hard question girl I hope you get it sorted soon it never rains but it pours always happens when you are not expecting it .

Nothing worse than being cold I feel for you.

the guy has just gone and he reckons around 2 grand, for a combi boiler, put same question on MHFand they reckon this is way over the top.

We live in a 3 bed matchbox, so not alot of work for it to do. I am going to ring round for some quotes and see what I can do.

Going to be a bit chilly tonight me thinks :-|

Mandy- regretfully you will find that you cannot replace your old boiler with a similar type. You'l find you have to have a new condensing type which are quite pricy and in some locations in the house can be a problem to fit. I had a floor standing boiler in the kitchen that was simple and basic and cheap and easy to service. When it packed in I tried everywhere to replace it like for like but you cant under the new regs, So I had to have a condensing type which wouldnt fit where the old one was and had to go on a wall. I had lots of probs locating this. I wont go into this it would take to long. The boiler has to be fittedby a 'corgi' fitter too. Mine cost a couple of thousand!! Quite a nightmare. So go to B&Q and find your own fitter is probably best. The only good side is your bills in the future will be smaller with greater efficiency. Auntygranty

Hi Mandy,

My combi-boiler cost £1600 including fitting but that was 5 or 6 years ago. I suppose you must be looking at about £2000 now. Mine is a Vokera and I must admit that I have since heard some bad reports about them but I haven't had any problems at all (touch wood). They are very efficient and hot water is available almost instantly without having to heat a full tank.

I would try to get about 3 quotes before you go ahead though to get a feel for who is taking the michael and who is genuine.

PS. The Gas Board quoted me £2400 at the time.

John.

You'll be looking at £2000 for replacement.

You have 2 choices -

a combi which means you don't need a cylinder, the water heats on demand. This means that you will get a bit of space back.

a standard condensing boiler which behaves like the old one with a cylinder so you have a supply of hot water.

Which you choose depends on your curcumstances. If you have kids or a need for a lot of hot water you may find a standard boiler cheaper to run.

I would suggest that you go to yellow pages and check out the Corgi installers rather than British Gas etc. As far as buying one from a DIY store I would suggest you find your nearest Plumb Center and have a word there. They may be able to suggest an installer who would be willing to do the job labour only, a lot won't.

As for boilers themselves you could look at a Boulter Boderus for a combi or Ideal for a standard type.

http://www.boulter-buderus.co.uk/

http://www.idealboilers.com/

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/plumb/index.html

;-)

Shop around for quotes but ask local friends for reccomendations too. i certainly wouldn't go for British Gas as they are horribly expensive and not always as good as they should be. A few years ago we had our old back boiler taken out and a new combi fitted in the kitchen instead, the work was done by a local small business (father and son team) in one day and cost £1500. I trust this man's work because he is fully CORGI registered (do check that anyone you use has full certification) and a retired fireman. I like to think that because of his past he is more vigilant than some as he's seen the devastation that poor workmanship on gas can cause.

D.

We have progress, Andy remembered my friends hubby has his own bathroom and kitchen supply and fitting business, rang him and he got on to the guy that does all his for him including his own house, in fact he went over to France for them and fitted a boiler there for them too.

I feel a bit calmer now, turns out we don't have a combi as we have 2 or maybe 3 tanks, I just thought a combi heated water and rads but thats a womens logic for you. I am going for a standard boiler which is what we have and he thinks it will be around £1,000, so fingers crossed, he is coming to sort it out this afternoon and give me a quote.

Thanks so much for all your responses, you are so kind

Mandy

Guest Tracker
If I could get a new boiler of reputable make fitted by a known competent plumber (sorry heating engineer) for two grand I would grab it pdq!

Hi, The registered corgi fitter just been and my quote was £1200 so went with it, at least I know he has a great reputation and can get hold of him anytime I need to.

I get it fitted Friday or Thursday if he can get the boiler delivered on time.

Should be able to keep the chill factor at bay till then.

Mandy

Getting an old boiler out of your house and installing a much younger model in there is NOT cheap.

Separation, followed by divorce costs, then maintenance payments, visits to nightclubs to view newer models, then expensive dinners, red roses, engagement ring, wedding costs, etc etc etc.

Are you sure you want to go through all of that, only to find out that once installed, the new boiler doesn't operate very often or reliably, and doesn't generate as much heat as anticipated?

Maybe just service your old boiler more regularly.......

8-)

Sounds good

If he takes the old water tank away - just remember the price of copper has sky-rocketed - so much so that toe rags are even nicking lengths of power line.

We are about to go over to a Combi because whilst our boiler is still working ok it is so expensive to run. Also the controls are failing and I am fed up with having to "play" with it to get hot water in the summer. Fine in the winter when the heating is on but in the summer at just decides it will not do what the control says it should.

So just as well we have an emersion heater in the tank - but by heck is that expensive.

Similar house down the road had a combi boiler last year and has excellent heating, hot water on demand and fuel bills about half of ours in the summer and about two thirds of ours during the winter.

So I think you may be pleasantly surprised at how more efficient they are.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have been told that you must get one that is powerful enough. If you do not the thing struggles and so uses more fuel.

Guest Tracker
BGD - 2007-12-04 2:54 PM

Getting an old boiler out of your house and installing a much younger model in there is NOT cheap.

Separation, followed by divorce costs, then maintenance payments, visits to nightclubs to view newer models, then expensive dinners, red roses, engagement ring, wedding costs, etc etc etc.

Are you sure you want to go through all of that, only to find out that once installed, the new boiler doesn't operate very often or reliably, and doesn't generate as much heat as anticipated?

Maybe just service your old boiler more regularly.......

Sometime Bruce even the most faithful of old boilers just die on you and then you are left with a stark choice - either get a new one or stay cold.

If it helps anyone, our old Chaffoteaux combi died last December, and we had it replaced with a Worcester-Bosch condensing combi.  It cost £2000 and came with a 4 year warranty from WB.  Has to be fitted by one of their registered installers, of course.  Just had it serviced and the charge was reduced because it was a WB.  Service man said they were so quick to do, and cause so little trouble, he could reduce his prices!

However, do be aware that under Building Regulations, the controls have to be uprated as well.  It is now a requirement to have a room thermostat, and there will be pressure to install thermostatic radiator valves to the bedroom radiators as well.  If the hot water cylinder has to be replaced as well as the boiler, this will also have to have thermostatic control.  If you live in a hard water area, a water softener must also be installed, although the magnetic variety are accepted. 

Installing the rad valves carries risks (possible discovery of corroded radiators), and connecting the thermostatically controlled cylinder can involve additional pipework / motorised valves.  Do be sure you get fully itemised written quotes for all of the work involved, plus an indication of timescale, to include the cost of disposing of the old boiler and all rubbish, and not just a price for fitting a new boiler that grows like Topsy when the work starts!  If there is any doubt about the rads or pipework, try to get rates for replacing these written into the quote, for acceptance if necessary as the work progresses.  Remember that unexpected extras after the work starts cost more than those bought in competition!  Make sure where the VAT is! 

Final thought, don't be afraid to get a quiote for replacing the whole lot.  Sometimes the labour cost of adapting an old system, and the risk of aggressive flushing to remove all the old rust / sludge, means that starting again from scratch with a properly designed new system, incorporating modern high efficiency radiators, may turn out to be cheaper, or at least to offer much better value.  For this, of course, you do need time!

Archived