fiat ducato

Forester

We have just got our 1st van it's a 1989 fiat petrol. Has anyone got any advice/tips on this van where to get the best awning (nylon) how can i upgrade to a 13kg propane gas bottle from a sml blue one, can it be done?

Here's hoping for many w/end & days away

Wayne/Maggie 

First up, how come you posted this message at 4.30 in the morning. I have trouble getting to sleep but not this bad. You don,t say which type of awning you are looking for but most of the motorhome mags. have adverts covering fixed and freestanding awnings. How about second hand which seem to be plentyful and only used once etc. We already had the fixed pull out roof awning on our van when we bought it so went for the safari room option, but otherwise would have gone for freestanding as you can move on and off site more easily and mark your pitch. Putting in the larger propane bottle should not cause any problems as long as you have a safe and secure place for it and the payload to match. I think it,s better to use two bottles instead of the one larger one as you always find the single will run out when you need it most. At least with two you can just switch over and refill at your leisure. Howard.

Hi Howard.

I have probs sleeping (old age & povertey) being new to all this i will take your advice and get 2xsml botts (gas) the awning i'm looking for is if poss, a nylon one & free standing 2nd hand if poss, my van is a hightop one.Motorhome mags can you suggest a good one for 2nd hand vans the MMM one has not got much in that applys to me! do they do "a exchang/mart" type mag for used vans?

Cheers Wayne.

How about a gazebo Wayne. A lot of the guys use them on the sites I use and some are available with side panels. Prices start at around £20 and while quality wise they are not going to stand the test of time, you should get a year or two out of them. MMM is to upmarket with regards to second hand gear, but both of the club magazines always have a good selection of what you are looking for. Perhaps you could try e.bay or even this forum which I think offers second hand or exchange items. My own safari room was home built, and while I saved a couple of bob it caused a lot of strife and was hard going. ( my sister still wants to know what happened to her old caravan awning that I borrowed off her some time ago ). If you have trouble finding room for your bottles you could fit the biggest one possible and buy one of those small camping ones as cover. I always use red bottles ( always get Propane/Butane mixed up ) for use during really cold weather or just for warming the van up on frosty mornings. I,ll keep an eye open, but in the meantime why not ask on the main motorhome forum. You never know, but someone may have one they are not using.Howard.

Wayne/Maggie You should have no problem exchanging Calor bottles from small to large or Butane to Propane. I have one large and one small, if the large runs out I swap to the small, try and replace quickly and switch back to the newlarge. Like to try and keep weight down but make use of better value in large cylinder. ( Empty cylinders can quite often be got from a scrapman if lucky ) David

Hiya David. Your right about exchanging large for small although it took a call from Calor to convince my local gas dealer. With regards to bottles from scrapyards, this is o.k. but don,t use them direct from this source as they tend to get a battering. Better to put them in for a straight swop and let Calor sort out the refill/servicing side of things. Howard.

Hiya.

We went to the gas dealer Tue and explained what we want, so we are taking it to them today when we pick "him" up i say "him" because he's got a long exhaust for a "fitting" as they say. By the way I DO have a sence of humor,Maggie says it's wicked (ex publican's ) 

Wayne.

[QUOTE]howardtcz - 2006-09-06 10:48 AM I,ve done a little work behind the bar Wayne, and it,s not a sense of humour you need, more the patience of a saint.[/QUOTE]

We have done 37years runng pubs/clubs/hotels.Had to finnish with osto arther in all my joint's. But glad we finnished as they serve ANYONE nowadays & threaten l/lords. Even the police refuse to come to your aid. ooops spamming this thread so lets go back to it.

Wayne.

We run cricket, rugby and a football team from our local pub Wayne. All little league stuff but still enjoyable. For most of the youngsters when first joining, this can be a real shock to the system as for the first time in their lives it seems they have rules to obey with discipline, good behaviour and no bad language being the order of the day. No arty farty p.c. approach is used as they have a choice of a fine or a thick ear and surprisingly this always works. Not only that, but they come to appreciate and even enjoy knowing their place in the scheme of things, and respect for themselves and from the other team members is the main benifit I truly sympathise with all those years you spent behind the bar Wayne ( and Maggie as well no doubt ) but I believe if more youngsters were introduced to sport then your years in the trade would have been a lot easier. Tell you what, I missed my calling. Should have been a shrink. Howard.

Peter Holdsworth is widely recognised as one of the great innovaters re. motorhome designs Wayne, and though volume was low, quality was always in abundance. Don,t worry if you cannot find any information on your particular model, as apart from layout and design, most of the fittings and fixtures will be standard. You never know, but you might have one of the great classics on your hands and well worth looking after. Hang on . I,ve just found a cantact for you. Sec. K.Way 16 Cherrytree Rd. Seaview Isle of Wight PO34 5JF Tel. 01983 613657 kerrywall@nettletone657.fsnet.co.uk Open to owners of both Holdsworth and Cockburn Holdsworth motorcaravans. Regular newsletters, rallies and technical information. This is the Holdsworth owners club, and the info. comes from page 141 of MMM. You could also drop a line to Martin Watts re. classic motorcaravaning . Again info on this can be found on page 204 of this months MMM. ............. Hiya Michele. Nice to see you up here. I,ll let Wayne fill you in on the details of the show. Sounds interesting. Howard

Hi everybody.

Maggie was cleaning the van out thursday and moved the cusions off the seat, how hard is it to put them back!! She mixed them with the others and can we put them back!! I'm not thick by any means but i'll be dammed if we can get them back. We have got 2 x propane gas (they told us what size) botts, theyare to big will they be alright to lie them down in the cupboard to use them & when MTY swop for smaller one's?

Wayne ps thanks again for the info Howard.  

Wayne. Laying gas bottles on their sides is NOT advisable under any circumstances, otherwise you might find your van being the star attraction in this weekends flypast. Always store them upright. Don,t know about your cushions though. Your own fault for leaving a woman run amok without proper supervision and you should know better by now. Howard.

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-09-07 3:01 PM Dear wayne, please may i ask what it is you are going to this weekend again . Can you tell more please as both my husband and I have a good interest in it WW2 . can anyone go to this show regards michele (^)Or where can we find out about it.[/QUOTE]

Hi Michele.

We had a great w/end there were a huge "battle" involving about 200 troops-Brits/Germans/Yanks. It looked like the d-day landings = spitfire & hurriecane& byplane and last but not least about 5 to 6 hundred +ww2 reenactors. ww2 dispays by the army/airforce/yanks of how they lived in the 40s in the field of battle dugouts ect + the home guard recross and  the Sherwood Foresters (Notts&Derby reg ) which is what i do. If you want a insite to it can we suggest that you have a look at the 'Railway at War' 40s social & military w/end on the 30Sept-1st Oct at Chaple Brampton Northants. We think you will be supprised please don't take any dogs because of the noise, they have a ww2 battle on BOTH days if you do go let us know.

Wayne/Maggie.

Sounds like you both enjoyed the weekend Wayne. Having the camper van seems ideal for your interests and hobbys and means you now have most of the home comforts for overnight stays. How did the van go anyway. Most probably you,ll have a few teething troubles and this is only to be expected, plus you will want to add your own personal touches. Something to keep you occupied over the coming winter months at least. Hope you don,t mind all the advice i,m pushing your way, but as someone who grew up with the top of an egg between six sort of background, its not in me to stand by and watch you spend good money on things you may not need . All the best to you and Maggie. Howard.

Hi Haword.

Keep all the info comming please & we don't mind atall.On friday we had a alarn & amobiliser fitted We arrived on the field at Cosby set our stall up then went posing in uniforms. got back sat outside as it was a lovley day when it started to go dark/cold we went inside put the lights on----nothing. We worked it out by mon that the amoboliser had cut the lot out so back to normal now. We have just bought a awning for the van a nice one too made by fiamma, Just need to get some bodywork done but struggling to get someone with a oven high enough to get it in. Glad you enjoyed Shepton Mallet it's a nice place.

Best regards Wayne 

You seem to lead a varied and interesting life Michele. Why not give us an insight into your experiances and write a tale of your own. I was born at a very early age sort of thing, and just let it flow. Why does your husband spend so much time on the roof of your van. Whenever I need peace and quiet ,I scuttle off down to my garden shed where I can contemplate my latest wrongdoing or plot my revenge on the world , depending on my mood. Garden sheds are the last refuge known to man, and here at least my word is final, Mine is strictly out of bounds to everyone exept Bonnie the dog. She,s getting on a bit, and as long as I tickle her ears and give her lots of affection, she,s happy. This applies to the wife as well most of the time. So here in great anticipation I leave you. Howard.

Archived