getting van at last

duetto owner

after a few delays, I am at last getting our first motorhome [new] this weekend and will be camping at the chertsey site to test it out.

how long will the leisure battery last if we watch a small tv or should we go for hook up.

any tips for our first weekend.

Duetto, I don't know the answer to your problem but just wanted to wish you well on your first trip. I am sure you will learn so much from the trip. Make sure you have a pen and paper to hand and write down all the questions that come up ready for your return.

Personally, I try not to use the tv too much when not on hook up but I guess it depends on how big your leisure battery is - there are different sizes. Happy camping. Joy

Guest Tracker

Good luck!

With the benefit of a site with hook up available this is the best opportunity that you will get to see just how long the battery will last unsupported!

Assuming that it is 85 or 110 ah and only using minimal TV, minimal lighting and the usual 12volt pumping requirements (excluding showers) I would tentatively expect the battery to at least last you the weekend.

We have 2 x 110 ah batteries and we rarely use sites and never use hook ups (can't be bothered) and we can go up to about five days before it gets too weak to fire up the diesel heating - or longer if no heating required.

Happy new Motorhome, and good luck ,now is the ideal time to find out for yourself how long your battery will last, use your tv as want to just keep an eye on your volt meter if fitted the voltage of your battery should start off around 13.5 volt if fully charged on your journey to the campsite ,dont let the voltage drop below 12 volts on your volt meter before you start re charging . you can always ask for a pitch with Electric hook up when you need one, and Good luck, :-D

Guest Tracker

You'll be very lucky if your battery charges to more than 12.9 volts on the road because they are often limited to this by electronics or restricted cabling that does not allow a full charge to pass.

This is to prevent the theoretical risk of explosion caused by the 'gassing' off of hydrogen when the battery is charged properly but it's by product is inadequately charged batteries.

The mains charger in the van should get it up to about 13.5 volts.

Unless I have misunderstood as I am no electrician!

Good luck with your new van. Each to their own but my advice, (comment), is stuff batteries and gambling/reckoning up etc how much time you've got left with your leisure power.

What's the point of living your leisure/quality time life like that? If you're that stuck for the odd quid or so on a site, (which I suspect you're not), please let me know, I'll gladly help you out.

Or better still, don't bother at all. I mean, why take part in a LEISURE activity if for goodness sake you need to know how much time you've got left and or checking battery levels etc. Where's the leisure in that for the sake of what, say a couple of £100 a year?

Don't die miserable thinking "well at least I didn't hook up" It will look pretty b****y stupid on your gravestone in my opinion.

Sorry, just cannot see the point in what largely is a middle class hobby.

Each to their own as usual applies though and reaching for crash helmet yet again.

Martyn, (quite happy to enjoy to the fullest, the one shot at life that he's been given)

Martin ... behave yourself! Not everyone has your sort of dosh! :D ;-)

Not everyone likes to stay on sites and/or want electric. On some sites, now and especially in mainland Europe the cost of electricity is more than just an odd quid or 2 a night and it soon adds up.

For the record, I'm not middle class ... working class yes, but certainly not middle class, and even though we could afford to pay for the hook-up if needs be, we don't want it and prefer to rely on our batteries instead.

Duetto Owner - I think it's a good idea to find out now how long the battery will last, as has already been said, whilst they're on a site with hook up available if you need it, this has got to be the 'safest' way to find out. If the battery isn't charging well, or not holding it's charge at least you can soon hook up and still enjoy their camping weekend. If you then go on to using sites without hook-up (ie as with some Caravan Club CLs etc) at least you will have a good idea of what to expect.

We used to only have one 110amp battery and we found that this lasted us 3-4 days so long as we weren't too silly - around an our's TV/video plus some heating (blown air) and lighting.

Hi Duetto, Just wanted to say that you sound like I did when I first got my van (in fact I still sound like that at times :'( ). I really worried about the battery situation and running out when away from home - in my case on my own. Eventually you will start to relax about the situation..... and the best thing to do is to get out there and write down all your questions as you go along.

I really do struggle financially but there are some amazing tips in the Hints and Tips section which save you pennies here and there and help the pounds look after themselves.... I find this site a real boon and I am sure you will too, whether you are like me or are Rockafella.

My leisure battery does charge up when on hook up - just as if plugged into the garage socket. Maybe Tracker or someone can be a bit more detailed about this.

Have a good weekend. Joy

we were in the same joyus situation last year completely new to motor homing didnt know what was what, it was such a laugh I think it was the best time :-S

It's strange how someone can go through everything with you when you pick the van up and you nod and nod, but then when your in charge you think now what did they say????? It might be good idea to take all the manual and intsruction books with you just in case.

we always use hook up and yes they do charge the batteries up, I think you have enough to deal with thinking about water both for washing and waste, heating, lighting, how does this work how does that work without worry about if the batteries are going to last or not, there will be plenty of time for that when the time comes like being on a CL with no hook up or an aire in France (lol)

Just go and enjoy and relax

Hi David. Most 12v tv's have a cut out point that prevents them working once the leisure battery drops to a certain voltage so you could use your telly as a way of checking the condition of the battery without doing it any harm. Long time till friday, but well worth the wait and hope you enjoy yourselves.

Duetto

Assuming that your new van is a new Duetto, then your habitation (leisure) battery is a 90 a/h Varta unit. You can see the battery under the driver’s seat and it has a white case, the battery with the black case is the vehicle starter battery.

There is a good chance that neither battery will be all that well charged when you collect your new van, as it will have spent a fair amount of time sitting around in various locations. My advice is to connect the mains as soon as you get it home and switch on the mains to 12-volt unit with the selector set to charge the habitation battery.

The length of time a battery will last depends on your use and only time (experience) will give you an accurate figure. My best guess is that at this time of year you will be OK for a weekend.

Michael

Guest Tracker
LordThornber - 2009-05-05 8:19 PM

Good luck with your new van. Each to their own but my advice, (comment), is stuff batteries and gambling/reckoning up etc how much time you've got left with your leisure power.

What's the point of living your leisure/quality time life like that? If you're that stuck for the odd quid or so on a site, (which I suspect you're not), please let me know, I'll gladly help you out.

Or better still, don't bother at all. I mean, why take part in a LEISURE activity if for goodness sake you need to know how much time you've got left and or checking battery levels etc. Where's the leisure in that for the sake of what, say a couple of £100 a year?

Don't die miserable thinking "well at least I didn't hook up" It will look pretty b****y stupid on your gravestone in my opinion.

Each to their own as usual applies though and reaching for crash helmet yet again.

Martyn, (quite happy to enjoy to the fullest, the one shot at life that he's been given)

Interesting perspective Martyn!

For many of us sites avoiders it's not about money - having spent a fortune on, and running, a van how could it be!

It has more to do with lovely views, wonderful locations, no noisy families with bikes whizzing round, plenty of space, no pompous show offs flashing their cash, no dogs being allowed to foul the area after dark, no dictatorial but aptly named wardens, no pre booking, no booking in, no arriving by any set time, no getting away from it all with 200 other people all doing exactly the same - I could go on - you get the drift no doubt!

But if that is what you like good luck and I hope you enjoy every minute - it just ain't for us so please don't knock it just because you don't understand or approve!

Thanks!

Tracker - 2009-05-06 8:08 PM

LordThornber - 2009-05-05 8:19 PM

Interesting perspective Martyn!

For many of us sites avoiders it's not about money - having spent a fortune on, and running, a van how could it be!

It has more to do with lovely views, wonderful locations, no noisy families with bikes whizzing round, plenty of space, no pompous show offs flashing their cash, no dogs being allowed to foul the area after dark, no dictatorial but aptly named wardens, no pre booking, no booking in, no arriving by any set time, no getting away from it all with 200 other people all doing exactly the same - I could go on - you get the drift no doubt!

But if that is what you like good luck and I hope you enjoy every minute - it just ain't for us so please don't knock it just because you don't understand or approve!

Thanks!

Hi Rich, I suspect you have misinterpretated my post. My mini, (or maxi), rant was not against site usage at all. Indeed we ourselves do, (very), occasionally free/wild/call it what you like camp.

No, my post was about the hooking up issue alone. Surely, and this is only my opinion, if you're in a situation where you're needing to be asking questions about battery life and/or how long will I get from the TV/lights/laptop etc, the issue then becomes somewhat of a challenge or a chore depending on your perspective.

Tongue firmly in cheek I imagine some folk are sat there in their vans, pen & paper in hand totting up how many times they've flushed the loo, switched a light on, watched TV etc etc and for the life of me, I cannot see where the leisure element is in that.

Never mind the gas uasge element..

Of course the more experienced out there will know more or less just when they've got one last minute on their dimming lights :D

Martyn

picked the van up yesterday, well pleased heading off today for 3 nights to test it all.

found this morning I had got a leaking fresh water drainage tap to be fixed next week and the cobra alarm was a bit temperamental but I think its sorted now was disarming on locking and arming on unlocking but now right way round.

mind blowing trying to take in the handover especially as everything thing runs of different sources with different instructions. But it all a learning curve and looking forward to it.

had a shock filling up the tank with such a large bill also the derv shot out of the tank when full, no cut out like petrol filler.

went to shops earlier got boxed in but the reversing camera saved the day could never have manged so well without it.

duetto owner - 2009-05-09 10:09 AM

had a shock filling up the tank with such a large bill also the derv shot out of the tank when full, no cut out like petrol filler.

The higher cost of diesel and the larger tanks can concentrait your attention on the 'price meter'.

Diesel pumps have just the same cut outs as petrol, but some tanks/pumps work better than others.

Well back after a 3 night break to test it all. Well apart from the leaking fresh water tank, the cooker/oven ignition did not work, the aerial booster would not pick up the freeview, ok for vans around us other campers told us the booster was faulty [no red light], the hot air system only blew hot air out of one vent and after being on for ten minutes had a continuous knocking noise which kept us awake all night.

This was a brand new van not sure who was supposed to quality check before delivery autosleeper factory or the dealer awaiting call back from dealer chased them up twice already.

Otherwise had a great time and enjoyed the experience, had plenty of help from other campers on various tips too, weather very cold and windy.

Guest Tracker

Regrettably David your new van experience is fairly typical, by many accounts, and it is a sad reflection on the slap dash manufacture and lazy and apathetic pdi performance by many dealers and their poorly trained and motivated staff who smile while you pay but don't really give a toss.

They may as well be selling cans of baked beans for all the interest they have in customer care and that alone is one very strong reason why I will never buy a new van from any of 'em.

At least with a used van some other poor sod has already had most of the aggro!

The dealer is the one who took your money and the dealer is the one who should put matters right. That said Auto Sleepers used to have one of the very best customer care attitudes in the business so if the dealer fails you do speak directly to the converters.

Anyway glad you enjoyed the break and good luck for the future and let's hope the Duetto starts behaving like a true Auto Sleeper should - faultlessly!

Ah the delights of motorhoming, we rented a newly converted van last month, dispite having been used by Wildax as a show van it still had several problems which I fixed and it still had sawdust in all the cupboards

Colin, sorry if deviating from thread, but interested in what you said. Do you just RENT your vans/mhs and not own one? If so, how does this work out financially please? Not being nosey, just trying to learn. Joy

Archived