has the forum ran its course

KD

Posts always dry up a bit as we all start getting out and about (no pun intended!) after the winter.

After all it is always quality not quantity that is important.

The excessive and rudely excessive posts from social inadequates that made this Forum a laughing stock have now thankfully gone.

There will be plenty more posts when people start posting about their last trip or a problem etc.

:->

K&D - 2008-04-14 2:08 PM

posting seems to be getting fewer and fewer its a shame but are we fighting a lost course. our forum regular mickey takers must be rubbing their hands together at the demise

Not a lost cause Dean, and as Clive said hopefully the last we have seen of those vicious personal attacks, at least for now, that can be totally offputting to say the least.

Difficult to understand the mentality with such postings, and can only assume belittling others makes it easier to live with their own obvious inadequacies.

CliveH - 2008-04-14 2:53 PM Posts always dry up a bit as we all start getting out and about (no pun intended!) after the winter. After all it is always quality not quantity that is important. The excessive and rudely excessive posts from social inadequates that made this Forum a laughing stock have now thankfully gone. There will be plenty more posts when people start posting about their last trip or a problem etc. :->

You couldn't be more wrong I'm afraid. Visit the other motorhome forums and you'll see no decline in postings. It's not exactly the peak holiday period after all.

Regrettably, this forum is declining rapidly and I think that the following reasons are why:

The Chatterbox section is dominated by a small clique whose life seems to revolve around it. The main reason for the section sometimes seems to be to cut and paste old internet jokes. I notice that there is actually a joke topic but it's ignored and people go on posting a load of silly stories.

I started to visit this forum and now rarely do. My reason is one member who delights in denigrating not just 'tuggers' as he calls them, but anyone who stays on sites, especially CC sites, which he seems to hate. We, according to him, have a 'herd instinct' and can't hold a candle to the likes of him who scurry around every night looking for somewhere to camp free of charge.

What then stuck in my craw was his constant claims that it's all 'tongue in cheek' or just to wind us up. But I noticed last week when someone made a joke about him he had a real go at them about 'chucking insults' at him.

As long as forums tolerate people like this, the sensible and fair ones will vote with their feet, which is what is happening - some sections can now go for hours without a single post, which never happened some months ago.

And I'm sorry to say this but comments about 'social inadequates' about people who simply disagree with you and wish to point out what's wrong with one or two members of this site, are typical of the ruling clique.

This forum has been brought to its knees by a handful of people and the rest of us have had enough. It is now a basket case!

I sign on nearly every day but don't always post, probably cos I don't have anything to add - and you might be fed up with reading about the problems we've had.

But I am here and wishing I had copied the joke about the man in the nursing home a couple of weeks ago, if anyone can put it on again I'd be grateful.

howie - 2008-04-14 6:13 PM

I,ve been buzy too what with the marathon and everything. Really enjoyed the race yesterday but disappointed with my time which was almost 9 minutes slower than the practice run I put in Saturday.

Never mind the time Howie, it's still an achievement, especially if you had completed one the previous day.

Congratulations, hope your chosen charity benefits enormously from your efforts.

Hi Tom. Irrespective of what you or anyone else feels about this forum, i,m sure you would agree that any point of disagreement should be made in a reasonable manner that does not degenerate into nothing more than a opportunity to mount a personal attack on a fellow member.

Quite often at odds with Richards comments, but would never dream of adopting Ruperts attitude, who I still maintain can only bolster his own inadequacies by belittling others.

Cliques are a fact of life on this or any other forum, but I for one welcome any contribution, and if you look at the various threads there is something for everyone.

As for 'basket cases' , then this of course is down to individual preference, but I hope you will not deny us having the bit of banter we enjoy, and has been said so many times before, if its not to your liking then simply ignore it and find something more suiting your taste. It really is that simple.

flicka - 2008-04-14 11:40 PM

howie - 2008-04-14 6:13 PM

I,ve been buzy too what with the marathon and everything. Really enjoyed the race yesterday but disappointed with my time which was almost 9 minutes slower than the practice run I put in Saturday.

Never mind the time Howie, it's still an achievement, especially if you had completed one the previous day.

Congratulations, hope your chosen charity benefits enormously from your efforts.

Must confess I never took acutually took part in the race John, and looking at the number of runners would have considered it quite a achievement if I had staggered over the starting line.

There was a guy called Buster Martin aged 101 who started though. Don,t know how he got on, but hope for all of us yet.

Hi Gypsy Tom

You wrote:-

"And I'm sorry to say this but comments about 'social inadequates' about people who simply disagree with you and wish to point out what's wrong with one or two members of this site, are typical of the ruling clique."

My comment about social inadequates was clearly aimed at those sad individuals you yourself criticise for wanting to somehow control the Forum.

It is a far nicer Forum now than before. But I too find the "tongue in cheek" explanation for some individuals abusive posts fairly hard to take seriously.

What I would say is that thanks to fair and even handed moderation, that silliness is now thankfully virtually extinct. You will never stop it completely but I do believe it is now under control.

Hi. I take it then Gypsy Tom, You will not be visiting the joke section,

Dont you realise a laugh does you good. But, there are serious sections

if that is what you really want, The majority on here are really decent.

By the way, I am sometimes a one liner, anything wrong with that,as long as I do not cause offence to anyone. Laughingly yours, Ria. (lol)

CliveH - 2008-04-15 8:54 AM

Hi Gypsy Tom

You wrote:-

"And I'm sorry to say this but comments about 'social inadequates' about people who simply disagree with you and wish to point out what's wrong with one or two members of this site, are typical of the ruling clique."

My comment about social inadequates was clearly aimed at those sad individuals you yourself criticise for wanting to somehow control the Forum.

It is a far nicer Forum now than before. But I too find the "tongue in cheek" explanation for some individuals abusive posts fairly hard to take seriously.

What I would say is that thanks to fair and even handed moderation, that silliness is now thankfully virtually extinct. You will never stop it completely but I do believe it is now under control.

In a bit of a quandary over this whole business Clive. Always found you helpfull and informative in the past and would appreciate your views on how exactly this forum could be improved.

First to hold my hand up when it comes to 'nonsense' postings, though offense has never been my intention and hopefully none has been taken. Always enjoyed the banter here which never fails to cheer me up, but if you feel this sort of thing is detrimental to the forum as a whole then i,m more than willing to take on board anything you have to say which i,m sure will be honest and constructive, and I for one would much prefer to alter my ways if it means less bad feeling on this forum.

Hi Ria. Not spoke to you for a while but good to see you as bright and cheerful as ever.

Hi Howie

I think the forum just evolves constantly over time. If those that think it has gone downhill feel that way then they leave and others take their place. There will always be regulars either posting every day/week/year whatever.

That is healthy

What was not healthy was the abuse which is what Gypsy Tom is alluding to - I think.

But with just 7 posts to his name and with all due respect to him, GT can hardly be a regular poster as the all the serious dummy spitting puerility was months and months ago.

Not that how much you post or how often is the issue. I find the Forum a welcome relief from the paperwork mountain that is ever growing on one side of the desk that requires all sorts of ink laid on it before I can pass it to the other side of the desk and ultimately into a normal filing cabinet or the circular one by my feet.

I sit with yet another cup of tea and read who is saying what. It is better than the paper because the news in the paper I saw on the TV last night. The news today appears as my screen saver so I am aware of most stories before I see the evening news anyway!

I have learnt a lot from Forums - this one especially.

I have a great respect for this one because the Out and About mag is so good. The only mag that covers all that I do or have an intention of doing.

I love caravanning and cannot wait till Saturday when at last we get away for a long w/e - the first this year. But my goodness! - do I find the likes of the caravan magazines boring or what!!!!

So I like and respect the O&A Forum - long may it continue.

It keeps me amused and that is saying something because I have a very low boredom threshold.

And there are guys and ladies who post on here who just crack me up!

(lol)

OMG Forums do have quiet times as do shops, pubs etc etc etc.

As for being upset by someone taking the mickey for goodness sake grow up and ignore these ignoramouses (spelling).

If I start reading something & I decide its not for me I go onto something else, remember most of us left school a long time ago so lets act like it.

Possibly some people will be offended by my remarks but lets face it if you don't like a programme on the telly either switch off or onto another programme!!

If those of you who participated on this and other threads have now finished with your comments aimed directly or indirectly at Tracker perhaps you can now stop digging your own holes and reflect on how others may see your own unfriendly comments?

It seems to me as one who observes rather than regularly takes part in this forum that Tracker's odd sense of humour can be taken by some as offensive when they choose and particularly by the politically correct self styled guardians of our society.

Consider instead that he seems to have a wealth of practical experience and has contributed a lot more to people who ask for advice than some of the pc types ever will and I for one have picked up several good tips from his contributions.

I totally agree with you, Peter - Tracker's certainly odd, and I should know :D

There are a few trouble-makers who mainly post on another forum, but every so often they launch a hit-and-run attack on us.

Dunno what else they do for kicks, but I'm sure small furry animals would be involved *-)

When we first bought the motorhome I went onto another forum, have just gone on again today to see what's good about other forum's (or should it be fora). I'll stick with this one, it's better and cos I'd have to pay £10 yearly to carry on with the other.

Well Dean, I think you have your answer, no the forum has not run its course, just look at the number of posts already, I have to agree with Potts and Janine, as I put in another post, yesl Mel & Tracker had a bit of a rutt, but they are both knowledgeable and helpful posters and both well able to look out for themselves, as any one of us who follows the forum will know.

Picking up on GT point yes of course he is as entitled to post on here the same as anyone else, but why try and throw a spanner in the works of a forum that he clearly has little time for. If you do not like a particular post leave it and read another.

Chatterbox is the section of MMM where all Motorcaravaners, Caravaners, ex Motorcaravaners and ex Caravaners, and the tenters, people thinking of buying motorcaravans or caravans and all the folk who are interested in this kind of relaxation can have a chat about anything they like, it does not have to be serious all the time there is other sections for that, so why not live and let live and enjoy the forum for what it is, knowledgeable helpful and 90% of the time very friendly. Carol.

I do look at this and other forums, and I am bound to say, when reading some of the threads here, they do appear to be constricted to much dialogue written by the few, leading to the thread subject becoming irrelevant. That in turn leads me to look elsewhere for less fraught debates and relevance of subjects.

All have our differences and opinions, but I also despaired at some of the previous rantings here, so became a viewer instead of a poster.

Hymer C 9. - 2008-04-15 4:47 PM

Well Dean, I think you have your answer, no the forum has not run its course, just look at the number of posts already, I have to agree with Potts and Janine, as I put in another post, yesl Mel & Tracker had a bit of a rutt, but they are both knowledgeable and helpful posters and both well able to look out for themselves, as any one of us who follows the forum will know.

Picking up on GT point yes of course he is as entitled to post on here the same as anyone else, but why try and throw a spanner in the works of a forum that he clearly has little time for. If you do not like a particular post leave it and read another.

Chatterbox is the section of MMM where all Motorcaravaners, Caravaners, ex Motorcaravaners and ex Caravaners, and the tenters, people thinking of buying motorcaravans or caravans and all the folk who are interested in this kind of relaxation can have a chat about anything they like, it does not have to be serious all the time there is other sections for that, so why not live and let live and enjoy the forum for what it is, knowledgeable helpful and 90% of the time very friendly. Carol.

yes carol its nice to know what people think. i hope we can get this forum back to where it was. i do agree with gt to an extent with regards to the nonesense silly story posts but i dont bother reading them and ofcoarse its each to their own. but i wonder why gt and rupert bother reading any of the posts if they despise them so much, join in i say and if you can make the forum more interesting for us. i think its time for abit of pride swallowing and live and let live.

Archived