hd tv

KD

Go steady before leaping into buying all this new equipment on offer. With digital, there will be some different formats. Choose carefully. Remember the days when video first came out? There were a number of formats. VHS, Betamax and even Philips 2000. Those who chose anything other than VHS soon found their systems completely useless. I suggest you just wait a while.

To reply to both above.

We don't nessasarly need digital tv, but theres money to be made from extra channels and sell off of old analogue frequencies, so we are getting it want it or not.

Old tv's and video's need not be thrown away, but using them with a digibox makes it one more remote a little more hassle and more power consumed.

How does this fit in with a green policy? beats me

Whilst technology moves on in leaps and bounds, so many folks are buying the latest formats available. I bought a TV which lasted for 20 years before it finally gave up the ghost. Nobody knows yet if Plasma or LCD will reach that sort of longevity. So, will we be forced to constantly 'upgrade' in order to meet the advances?

Guest Tracker

There is little joy for us in paying over the odds for new technology when the old technology still works very well.

Keeping up with the neighbours and buying new gizmos is not my scene - but on the bright side - someone has to be the guinea pig to test new systems for us all to benefit when the price becomes sensible!

So please do keep up the good work, as we mortals truly appreciate your sacrifice!

Surely when analogue is eventualy turned off, a cheap freeview box and possible a new digital airiel is all that will be required for your old sets to carry on recieving as before. The H D debate is something else, just as whether to pay out for programmes from Sky, ect. As things stand if you want to recieve high definition transmissions, the TV must be equiped for it and a reciever box installed and a monthly fee paid. chas

sky charge £10 per month for the hd channels, nottingham forest charge £22 per ticket to stand in all weathers, football is my thing and to watch it with the best possable picture £10 per month is a small price to pay

Guest Tracker

Good for you Dean - and long may you enjoy spending your cash the way that suits you.

That is assuming that Grasping Gordon and Avaricious Alistair will allow you to keep any of your cash once GG has funded his plan for the UK to single handedly save the world.

Archived