it's here

gadjo

Hi Y'All

got it safe and sound on Thursday its fantastic :-D Spent the last few days kitting it out B-) feel part of the gang now got the waves on the way home

Just cant wait to use it and get away :-D roll on Friday

Cheers

not too far Rosedale Abbey near Pickering North Yorshire just for the weekend just to give it test.

We have a week booked in July and intend to get few more wekends in b4 that. Dont know if we will go abroad this year but you never know (lol)

Go on, give it a go.

If you're willing to use the various free & cheap facilties France offers to motorhomers, you'll easily save the cost of the ferry compared to using rip-off UK campsites EVERY night of your trip here. Plus, diesel is still noticeably cheaper in France than here. And that's just the financial side!

Once you take into account the gentler pace of life, uncrowded roads etc, it's got to be a winner!

But wherever you go, enjoy it.

Tony

Congratulations Gadjo. Much happiness ahead I predict.

Tony, where's the best place to find out about all these ' free and cheap deals in France' ..../ sorry can't remember your exact wording.

Joy

Hi Joy

A lot has been written on here, and in the magazines, about this, but basically there are two points about motorhomng in France.

1) You can overnight anywhere it's not expressly forbidden, because, under French law, a "camping-car" is only "camping" if it has furniture, awning etc outside. The vehicle itself, with only its wheels touching the ground, is merely "parked," even if you're eating or sleeping inside. So anywhere that cars can park overnight, you can stay too. That's just the legalities: the big point is that people are happy to have you around - you're not treated as some sort of "problem" the way we often are over here. But of course, you'll need somewhere to fill up with water, empty waste, etc. Which brings us to:

2) "Aires de Service Camping-Car." These are easy to find all over France, and are listed in various books (an outfit called "Vicarious Books" can supply most of them, but I usually buy mine while I'm over there). Look out for signs which look like a motorhome relieving itself! These "Aires" provide water and waste facilities, sometimes electricity, and usually room to stay overnight where the more nervous among us can KNOW it's allowed (because it says so). Many of them are free of charge, and those that aren't are usually only a couple of Euros or so.

So these two facts mean it's perfectly possible to have an entire holiday in France without ever entering a campsite - although you may prefer to use a site sometimes, if you're staying somewhere for a while, or just need to do the laundry!

One other wonderful idea is "France Passion," a scheme whereby you're invited to stay (without payment, prior booking, or any obligation) on any of hundreds of farms, vineyards etc. This costs about £18 to join, which you can do from the UK (again, I understand Vicarious are agents for this, but I've usually joined online). The idea is that you have a chat with your hosts, sample their produce if you want to, buy some if you want to (but again, absolutely no obligation), and only stay for one night at a time.

So you see, taking your camper to France is a very different matter from using it here in the UK. Even from the North West (which I assume means you'd use a longer Channel crossing rather than Dover/Calais) the savings compared to a fortnight's UK site fees would easily cover the ferry fare, and you have the bonus of an enormous, uncrowded, beautiful, friendly country!

You'll realise by now that I can't stand the place, but don't mind me, give it a go anyway!

Tony

WOW! THANK YOU, Tony. That was brilliant. I will print it all off. It explained a lot of things I've read on here and didn't understand a word of at the time, but now I do. Very grateful.

Joy

(Sorry for distracting from original thread, everybody) :$ :$

Nice one Tony -very well explained I thought.

The only thing I would add, for anyone who has not yet been to France, is that the " Aires de Service de Camping Car" should not be confused with the 'Aires' on motorways which are simply rest areas, with or without fuel stations.

It is on these motorway aires, in certain parts of the country, that people are often advised NOT to stay overnight, especially the ones which do not have fuel stations / restaurants.

:-|

Archived