just trying something

Corky 8

this is the end product of a 5x4 open trailer I bought , stripped it down and renewed the hubs,bearings,hammerited the chassis then built the closed box section onto the chassis , screwed a small set of drawers into it to take all the small/loose stuff, a ply shelf above the drawers for the chairs we carry, has its own two spare wheels and tyres, space for a spare gas bottle, Generator ,Motorhome spare wheel just placed in till I decide permanent possition for it, only use it in the UK, leaves the under locker for more personal things top black waterproof cover as added rain protection, whole trailer painted in smooth Hammerite, cost over all £250. hope its of interest to those who dont have the room or weight requirement for a Motorhome spare wheel,

726595228_Trailer003.JPG.efba6001655527d1834670793a5cb747.JPG

1277054384_Trailer004.JPG.f6d41582642c1c2407d62454efa5eab3.JPG

cORKY i SO ADMIRE PEOPLE WHO ARE ABLE TO DO THINGS LIKE THAT TO SORT A PROBLEM OUT. Well done.

I can't even use my weaker sex as an excuse not to be able to, as Donna is brilliant at engines, plumbing, etc. I think I should go to a Senior Citizens College :'(

Joy

ROON - 2009-05-28 12:50 PM

cORKY i SO ADMIRE PEOPLE WHO ARE ABLE TO DO THINGS LIKE THAT TO SORT A PROBLEM OUT. Well done.

I can't even use my weaker sex as an excuse not to be able to, as Donna is brilliant at engines, plumbing, etc. I think I should go to a Senior Citizens College :'(

Joy

Sweet Lady ,I admire you for the task,s you under take each and every day,and your dedication to your Parents , Knocking things together the average Joe can do . I was sorry to hear of your troubles on the service station, I can only think they were Foreigner's as I know the majority of HGV drivers would never do anything but help a Lady alone

Guest Tracker

Nice one Dennis!

Have you tried reversing it?

How easy is it to see in the mirrors so you can tell which way it's turning when going astern?

You could always take the wheels and chassis off the trailer box and bolt the box to the back of the van to make it easier!

howie - 2009-05-28 2:13 PM

Watch yourself Joy. Sounds like Corky's ready to start on another set of drawers. ;-)

Well made trailer Dennis and should just about take all those 'essentials' we usually have to leave behind.

:-D Howie how could you, us Trappist monks are not like that, besides the wife would slay me, and Joy and I are fellow Lancastrians , Richard do remember I have a X250 Fiat that wont reverse at the best of times, if I tried to reverse with anything on the back it would probably give up the ghost altogether I have a marker arm to fit on each side of the top of the box which can be seen out of both Mirrors (got to devise someway to clip them on and off as yet) , Janine I,m sure your Partner could knock one together under your supervision, Ive not had a tow bar fitted as yet ,not until my M/H gets the Dreaded fix done to it, so towing cant be made an excuse by fiat for gearbox problems.

Guest Tracker

Well done Dennis - a quite breathtakingly ingenious way to avoid reversing judder - don't tow anything and never reverse!

Now why didn't I think of that - but - er - why have a trailer then - if it's not a silly question - wouldn't a top box or back box do the same thing with less aggro!

Tracker - 2009-05-28 5:56 PM

Well done Dennis - a quite breathtakingly ingenious way to avoid reversing judder - don't tow anything and never reverse!

Now why didn't I think of that - but - er - why have a trailer then - if it's not a silly question - wouldn't a top box or back box do the same thing with less aggro!

Richard, I avoided getting things attached to the van like roof racks Top/ back boxes etc, it was my intention when I bought this pig in a poke to keep it for quite a number of years ,so didn't want to invite water ingress , and besides Ive always towed one thing or another work wise and leisure wise so Its not a problem for me, reversing would present some challenges due to the short wheelbase of the trailer,But the storage space Ive gained outweighs all of that.

Well done Dennis

About 10% of the cost of our trailer although ours is around the 3 mtr mark. Having driven artics for many years reversing should not be a problem says I to Angie, hmmm, forgot the princable that the trailer is always better to be longer than the towing vehicle for ease of reversing. I have found that as long as I keep the corner of my van in line with the front of the mudgard when moving backwards into a space then I do not lose control. I consider ours to be the garden shed. We carry the motor bike, two wooden garden chairs (soon to be changed because of weight) the aqua roll, tool box, barbie Q and on long trips where we are away for 3/4 weeks, plastic boxes with spare clothes or extra supplies. When we have run out of clean we empty one box into van and put dirty washing back in it's place. Sorry but although Angie nags about wanting to do the washing so as it does not build up, I am against the putting up of a washing line, but I must admit that Angie does win some times LOL. But by using the trailer as a portable store keeps the van clear inside and therefore more comfortable.

Geof

IMGP0092.JPG.0726e6ce99b3ffe319343a6351010d6c.JPG

1134543662_Sept2008France006.jpg.55553486bdc5fba6bad82454637ed7ab.jpg

HI Geof & Angi,

Thanks for the photo,s of your trailer its a smart looking one,I like the idea of the lifting roof and a drop down back makes everything accessible, the Wife picked up on the boxes for MORE CLOTHES (thank you very much), I too drove HGVs for a living,and give me a 40ft trailer any time ,these shorties come around far to quick if you not watching em,Ive made two arms with a red disc on them (like the German wagons have ) to put on so I can see the back end of the trailer through the mirrors whatever I,m doing ,I see your photo,s are taken when you were in France, did you come across any problems taking it across there,? my wife said it should have been a wardrobe instead of a set of drawers that I put in the back now she has heard you mention MORE CLOTHES in boxes, ( I think she as hoping the trailer was going to be a walk in wardrobe for her ) just kept her guessing till it was finished. BUT now, Now it boxes , thanks to some one , I wont mention ,

Hi Corky

No prob getting trailer over but at a cost, you have to include A frame in length when booking so we book bus at 6 mtrs and drag at 3 total length 9mtrs. We have a frequent traveler deal with eurotunnel, it cost's an extra £39 per journey. The top piccy was taken at Lake Como last June, we are no mare than 10 yards from the shore and over 40% most days, the bottom piccy was taken in Sept near Limogues. As of yet no one has asked for extra to park it but we are on our way to Croatia next week for a month so we will see if that will change LOL.

Have fun with yours, they do come in handy and help to keep inside of bus clutter free, but the downside is finding what you want in the trailer LOL

Geof

Archived