lakes tour

clareh

(?) hi everyone, im sure many, if not all of you, have toured the lakes in your motorhomes and therefore id like to pick your brains if i may re good sites to stay for 1-2 nights at a time. good accessibility, electricity and countryside walking nearby, also local pub, are big preferences.children facilities not required, but pet friendly is (2 dogs). as we are planning to travel there in july i believe booking is advisable and therefore i prob need your recommendations asap if you please! my intention was to travel/stay on the following route/circular/regions: ambleside>patterdale/glenridding>keswick>ennerdale>coniston

would greatly appreciate response

:-D

clare

My cocker loved Ashness Bridge area: ambleside was great for a good sniff, Keswick is nice out of season! Most shops used to allow her inside even clothes shops! If you climb Helvellyn take lots of doggy water as there aren't any streams if you choose the route from the Lake below which escapes me but begins with a 'T'. It's well worth the view! But we never attempted Striding Edge with her as that is very steep!

Have a wonderful time. We've been there in heavy rain, bright sunshine but not snow.

It is - thanks! Knew some Bright Spark would recall the name for me. It's a beautiful place so I'm not telling anyone or it will be spoiled with loads of visitors :-)

The Lakes is how hubby and I began searching for a motorhome 2 years ago - but I want him to see the Italian Lakes when he retires in 5 year's time so think that driving down leisurely will suit us. Then we can take our time and stay as long as required. I went there when I was 18 and yearn to return!

you should try the lake's in autumn and winter lizzy far fewer visitors & to me the scenery is even better, to see the fells with a dusting of snow wow!. Anyway the site i mentioned Parkfoot is also dog friendly it has several specified walking areas for your pets & there are a couple of pubs in pooley bridge that are a pleasant stroll along the lakeshore away, both pubs have beer gardens so taking your dogs for a walk to the pub shouldn't be a problem :-D

Hi Clare, At the northern end of the Lakes is Troutbeck Head which is very nice. It's just off the road from Penrith to Keswick. There are lots of lovely walks, waterfall, mountains and of course the Lakes. It is dog friendly and motorhome friendly.

There is another Troutbeck near Windermere but I have not been to that one.

Phil

Hello clareh, This year especially, be warned re the tremendous tourist pressure expected in the area due to the release of the new film Beatrix Potter. The authorities in the Lakes area have banded together and obtained an agreement that worldwide release of the film be staggered during the year with the last release being Japan in September. They are scared stiff of a massive invasion starting in the Spring which they fear they will not be able to handle.

I have put my planned first visit in a Motorhome on hold, probably until next year.

Think about it and make further detailed inquiries. Sorry if I sound as if I am a killjoy.

Good luck and best regards,

sax

sax - 2007-01-09 9:57 PM

Hello clareh, This year especially, be warned re the tremendous tourist pressure expected in the area due to the release of the new film Beatrix Potter. The authorities in the Lakes area have banded together and obtained an agreement that worldwide release of the film be staggered during the year with the last release being Japan in September. They are scared stiff of a massive invasion starting in the Spring which they fear they will not be able to handle.

I have put my planned first visit in a Motorhome on hold, probably until next year.

Think about it and make further detailed inquiries. Sorry if I sound as if I am a killjoy.

Good luck and best regards,

sax

Where did you hear this? I live in the area and the "authorities" are far from scared stiff as you put it they are in fact welcoming all the free publicity the film is generating! so you needn't put off your visit sax we are not going to be overrun !

Hello colim&jb,

Thanks for spotting my post and responding as a local. I look forward to reviewing my plans!

I did not want to be taken as a scaremonger but read it in an extensive travel article on your area in last weekends press showing a suggested Potter tour. Probably Telegraph/Sunday Telegraph or Mail/Mail on Sunday. Cannot refer exactly as all now gone for recycling. Just confirms that we should all be wary of taking as gospel what we read in the Press. Thanks for putting me right.

Best Wishes, sax

Burns farm near keswick idyllic going there myself in the summer check out their website gotta be one of the best views in the lake district i was born & brought up only a couple of miles from here you never appreciate things when your just a kid but boy are my eyes open now!

thanks colin&jb, i am taking all recommendations on board, appreciated. i love ullswater, so pooley bridge may well be on my route planner, thanks. :-D also, in response to sax i take on board the added interest re BP film which will not put me off the lakes, merely get me to book quickly! (lol)

Archived