mh towing cars

KD

i have just returned from a week in scarborough. on the way back i saw at least 15 motorhomes towing small cars. now maybe i can understand this if you do alot of europe traveling. but in the uk i cannot unless its a status thing see any point as to why it wouldnt be better to have a caravan. im not wanting to start another mh v caravan debate but surely this is just defeating the object.

K&D - 2008-08-31 5:49 PM

i have just returned from a week in scarborough. on the way back i saw at least 15 motorhomes towing small cars. now maybe i can understand this if you do alot of europe traveling. but in the uk i cannot unless its a status thing see any point as to why it wouldnt be better to have a caravan. im not wanting to start another mh v caravan debate but surely this is just defeating the object.

I'm glad you've asked that question K&D. I've often wondered why they do it but didn't have the nerve to ask.

:-| :-|

Don't think its defeating the object Dean, in fact it has a lot going for it when you consider all the pro's and con's. The main argument is always about transport when you set up on site with the car/caravan being percieved as the most convenient and cost effective way of going about this.

The cost of a motorhome far outweighs that of a caravan, but again'st this is the need for a large expensive towcar, more often than not a 4x4 for todays vans, which are then used as a normal family car for the rest of the year which again starts to balance out that cost difference.

The joys of towing and setting up on site have already been gone over before, and towing a small economical car behind a m/h is a doddle compared to some modern caravans with most m/h's making ideal tugs re. weight and power.

The other advantage with the small car is the ease of parking and accessing small towns and resorts that sometimes can be difficult to say the least with some towcars, and finally back to cost.

Decent 4x4 and caravan?. Lets say £25/30000. Late motorhome £25,000 and £5000 for small car. Not that much difference and makes sense to me.

i think howies point valid but not totally eye opening. i would also disagree with his sums. i would have guessed on the site i was on the average value of the set up of caravan and towcar to be more like 15k. where as these mhs with small tow cars being nearer 50k

syd i have no idea what your on about

Don,t get a lot for £15k these days Dean. The new Discovery 3 starts at £30k and though you can obviously get cheaper the same applies to motorhomes. Anyway, the point is that you wanted to know why motorhomes sometimes have a car in tow, on which i,ve already given my opinion, and its just that, a opinion based on actually towing a car behind a m/h.

I should imagine most of these m/h/car combinations were being driven by older couples, and these are the type who benefit from this arrangement, with couples such as yourself with a young family finding the bigger tow car and bigger living space of the caravan more suited for your needs, which all makes sense, and as always its horses for courses with the understanding that we all do things that suits us best.

What you freeloading this time Sid ?. Hope you're not undermining the Brithish economy with illicit imports again, unless its cheap booze of course which is always welcome if you,ve got a drop to spare.

Guest JudgeMental
K&D - 2008-08-31 5:49 PM

Because the UK is a very motorhome unfriendly country compared to Europe. There is hardly any parking offered anywhere, so its quite understandable, much easier to park up on a site and use a likle car. I have considered it as well ....but as we hardly ever holiday here not worth the hassle.

Who in there right mind would want a caravan.

I would, Judge, have enjoyed both motorhome and caravan, It depends

on a number of things, I think a caravan is more suitable if you have small children, But, a motorhome in my opinion is ideal for just couples,

Finance also has to be considered, for a young family, To each his own though. Ria.

Archived