motorhomers/caravaners

KD

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

No dislike from me whatsoever Dean - some of my best friends are caravanners - and I have met some pretty obnoxious motor caravanners too!

Mind you I do sometimes feel that us with our single unit 'unawninged' motorhomes seem to pay an inordinately high fee for the amount of space we occupy?

But that is not the fault of the caravanner.

And there are plenty of 8 metre plus motorhomes with a huge awning and safari room around.

I don't think there is a great divide between the two, whenever we're on a campsite I usually end up chatting with either a caravanner or motorhomer. The one area I find there is a difference is in adding accessories. Motorhomers will, generally speaking, spend more money on accessories than caravan owners. I find this quite strange as so many motorhomers used to be caravanners :-S .

D.

Having just returned from spending a few days in appalling weather on a CC&C site I have noticed another difference between m/homes (which were probably in the majority) and caravans. No motorhomers put up awnings whereas nearly every caravaner (who in general has a larger internal living area) did. I watched them struggle in very high winds to erect them and then in heavy rain dismantle them. Obviously they had to take them home to dry. One couple took over three hours to pack away. All this seemed like hard work to me.

I must admit I was envious of one couple though who managed to eat breakfast in their awning in a rare few minutes of sunshine.

I may be wrong here but from where I stand it seems to me that motorhomes are very limited for space compared with caravans and so are greatly limited to the number of people who can be in them

Whereas caravans have much more space and so take more people with them hence the need for awnings.

We always cook in the awning as this doesn't make the caravan smell or any of the wall/cupboard surfaces greasy

That doesn't mean that I think motorhomes either smell or have greasy surfaces, but they do dont they??? :-D :-D :-D :D :D :$

Guest Tracker
Syd - 2008-03-30 12:07 AM

I may be wrong here but from where I stand it seems to me that motorhomes are very limited for space compared with caravans and so are greatly limited to the number of people who can be in them

Whereas caravans have much more space and so take more people with them hence the need for awnings.

We always cook in the awning as this doesn't make the caravan smell or any of the wall/cupboard surfaces greasy

That doesn't mean that I think motorhomes either smell or have greasy surfaces, but they do dont they??? :-D :-D :-D :D :D :$

It's much easier to wash a greasy motor home worktop and splashback than it is to wash a greasy awning - but at least the greasy awning rails won't go rusty and the extra fat will help the water proofing on the fabric!

We stayed in Newquay once in my humble VW Camper, we were put in a field where the Caravan Club were, you should have seen the looks they gave us!! look down there noises or what, I tried to say "hi" but got ignored. The vans were the biggest I have ever seen with awnings just as big and the towing vehicle was bigger than my Camper. We felt so small. They saluted the flag every sundown and again at sunup, that was the only time we say them & there were only 2 people in each van.

I never ignore caravanner's but I don't go out of my way to say "hi" now

We do find MH owners much more approachable, even better than early VW camper owners. That's why I want one

We have been ridge tenters! frame tenters! trailer tenters! caravaners and now last but not least Motorhomers! but I do get the distinct impression that people think we have just started and dont know how to rough it! I cant put my finger on it but I have felt a bit of a chill from fellow campers in caravans! But now I just think Well You Can Please yourself!!

Guest Tracker
Agreed Maggy, we too have sometimes been aware of that attitude from caravanners and site wardens and we too just say 'suit yerself'!

We would not ignore you Robb! - I love VW's and my sun is nut on them - regular on the "run to the sun" - Newquay!!

We chat to other campers whether they are MH owners or caravanners or owners of "statics" - makes not a jot of difference to us.

You cannot tell a book by its cover.

But you can tell that some on here (thankfully a lot less than a few months ago!) have some rather puerile agenda.

Best to leave them to it and the rest of just get on and enjoy each others company.

I always remember some excellent words told to me by an old neighbour:-

"the best revenge is to have a happy life!"

I think revenge is a bit strong but if someone does try to drive a wedge between MH'ers and caravanners - I do believe it would be best to ignore them and we all have a "happy life!"

I have no issue at all with caravanners, but I do find some of them amusing. Last year I stayed at Brompton-on-Swale. A very nice but slightly over-crowded site. After sorting out the level of the m/h we erected the Fiamma zip, pegged it down and got the red opened. Shortly after this, a caravan arrived on the next pitch. After some to-ing and fro-ing the owners finally decided that they had their position right. I then watched for a couple of hours or so while they erected their full awning which was followed by the wind break on the other side of their van. Next came the white 30cm tall picket fence which marked out their pitch and finally the numerous pot plants, windmills and garden gnomes, all of which were re-positioned a number of times until the owners (well at least one of them) were satisfied. Nothing wrong at all with that, but what a palaver to have to go through. Especially if you're touring.

Vic - 2008-04-01 10:01 PM

Shortly after this, a caravan arrived on the next pitch. After some to-ing and fro-ing the owners finally decided that they had their position right. I then watched for a couple of hours or so while they erected their full awning which was followed by the wind break on the other side of their van. Next came the white 30cm tall picket fence which marked out their pitch and finally the numerous pot plants, windmills and garden gnomes, all of which were re-positioned a number of times until the owners (well at least one of them) were satisfied. Nothing wrong at all with that, but what a palaver to have to go through. Especially if you're touring.

Vic, please tell us that this was an April Fool posting. And whilst you are at it, how long did it take you to stop grinning/laughing/pi**ing yourself at their antics? I thought I'd seen it all...

Martyn

I would imagine that most Motorhomers are like us - previous Caravan owners so i cannot see any reason for any dislike between the two.

Some of our best friends have caravans and some like us have motorhomes, the only reason we changed was because of health problems, it became a little hard for my hubby as we live on a hill and our drive is very sloping.

So if there is anyone looking in who feelS they are better than everyone else "GROW UP & GET A LIFE" ;-) by doing this you will have many many friends and friends are good to have (lol)

Let me make this clear, I do not dislike caravanners. Full stop, end of, period.

My own personal grouse that is linked to caravanners, originates from site owners/C Club etc reluctance to provide some pitches which are an adequate size for the majority of Motorhomers.

As Dean says, "our" pitch is the same size as "theirs". This of course is true but INMHO, completely missing the point.

If Caravan person chooses to have awnings etc, fine no probs, but I believe site owners would benefit from a provision of motorhome only pitches.

To me, it's a win win situation. Caravans get the room they need, albeit with a proportional hike in pitch fee and motorhomers get the same with a reduced fee.

Yes, occasionally they would be empty as Caravan person couldn't get on them but that would be more than outweighed by the extra pitches the smaller size would create.

If this sounds nonsense to you, I urge you, when next on site, particularly CC sites, to have a look at the area motorhomes take up versus caravans. But then of course you know this already don't you..

DonerantingMartyn

On one CC site years ago up in sunny Yorkshire we saw one pitch that was truly unbelievable. There was a 3.5 Tonne transit based coachbuilt motorhome with a roll out awning and safari room set up. Then on the grass at the side of his pitch was a Citroen Saxo tow car with the A frame stored under the motorhome. On the rear of the motorhome was a chequer plate covered deck for the disability scooter. to the side of the awning was a free standing gazebo and round the lot was a series of windbreaks each one overlapping the next. The elderly gent in the motorhome would get up each morning and open his "gate" (a section of the windbreak that overlapped the neighboring windbreak) and each evening he would close it again. The free standing gazebo seemed to be in use as a laundry room as all their laundry would constantly be hanging there to dry/air. Top it all of each morning, presumable after breakfast, he would bring his plate across the road and scatter all the crumbs next to our pitch!

D.

On site in France a couple of years ago, in late afternoon, I watched a motorhomer pitch up and proceed to fit covers. Very sensible I thought, although it wasn't scorching and the location didn't lend itself to be a long stay, more a night halt.

Anyway, he appears to be struggling a bit and he's getting on in years so I offer him a hand. I got them all on in 15 mins or so and go back to our van.

He then proceeds to get the awning/chairs/BBQ/Missus/dogs etc etc out and he's done somewhere early evening just as we are going out for a walk.

I thought he was going to be there for a few days, at least.

He left the site at 9am the following morning - barely 16 hours after arriving.

The sun didn't get near the bl**dy tyres.

maryowlgirl - 2008-04-02 10:24 AM I would imagine that most Motorhomers are like us - previous Caravan owners so i cannot see any reason for any dislike between the two. Some of our best friends have caravans and some like us have motorhomes, the only reason we changed was because of health problems, it became a little hard for my hubby as we live on a hill and our drive is very sloping. So if there is anyone looking in who feelS they are better than everyone else "GROW UP & GET A LIFE" ;-) by doing this you will have many many friends and friends are good to have (lol)

Amen to that Mary.

Dave Newell - 2008-04-02 11:31 AM On one CC site years ago up in sunny Yorkshire we saw one pitch that was truly unbelievable. There was a 3.5 Tonne transit based coachbuilt motorhome with a roll out awning and safari room set up. Then on the grass at the side of his pitch was a Citroen Saxo tow car with the A frame stored under the motorhome. On the rear of the motorhome was a chequer plate covered deck for the disability scooter. to the side of the awning was a free standing gazebo and round the lot was a series of windbreaks each one overlapping the next. The elderly gent in the motorhome would get up each morning and open his "gate" (a section of the windbreak that overlapped the neighboring windbreak) and each evening he would close it again. The free standing gazebo seemed to be in use as a laundry room as all their laundry would constantly be hanging there to dry/air. Top it all of each morning, presumable after breakfast, he would bring his plate across the road and scatter all the crumbs next to our pitch! D.

That is ridiculous!! and my Daughter in her caravan puts a pup tent up inside her awning for the boys because they were going to charge her extra for putting it up in the C.C.C.

Archived