new to this pastime!!

gadjo

Hi Ya'll

The time have come for me to purchase a motorhome!!! I'm very excited about this as it is some thing I have wanted to do for a few years and now the time is right (lol)

This has probably been asked many time before and will bring many varied opinions but here goes.

I have been reading MMM (which i have found very infomative and dircted me to this forum) and doing a bit of research around dealers, got all of the glossy brochures and such and am intending to go to the show at york in september I have decided on a coach built 'van 4-5 berth around the 25-30 grand region around 20 foot long. Quite like the mid lounge with rear gally configeration, but the idea of a fixed bed also appeals.

To be honest there is so much choice I feel like a child in sweet shop and just like them all!!!

any advice about make, new versus used, recomened dealers, any pit falls to watch out for would be really appreicited.

also I have read about weights and such laden and un-laden and this seem as though it can be quite crucial with reagrd to the law and the performance of the 'van. Plus whats the deal on seat belts I have had conflicting advice bout the leagilty of travelling with and with out these.

I know all this may sound a bit niave to some of you more seasoned 'vanners out there but there is so much info and some times it can get a bit over whelming.

Cheers

howie - 2007-08-09 11:40 AM

Hi George and welcome. Plenty of advice from our resident experts, just fire away. All other subjects dealt with as well, but in the best possible taste if you will please.

specially when Howie's involved cause he's a sensitive soul [or even sole??]

oh yeah, welcome to the asylum, and make sure you spend a lot of time going round the different vans at York, and make them demonstrate how everything works, especially the beds *-) and try to chat to as many users as you can - we all invariably suffer from verbal diarrhoea - especially when it comes to our favourite subject :D :D :D

B-)

seriously tho but..

the issue of weight - doesn't seem as much of a problem as it was - I think the manufacturers have begun to use the appropriate chassis, although this then brings the over 3.5 tonne topic into play

not easy to discuss the reliability of dealers in open forum - there has been a lot of contentious discussion over the years. -

seat belts - apart from the question of legality - I would not like to use a van without some safe and secure restraint for all passengers -

take a lengthy test drive before you sign on any dotted lines - and get someone with you to listen and check for rattles [it's a problem with motorhomes because of grills n things - make sure that whatever rattles is meant to be loose]

Plenty of vans around the 20ft mark with the a mid lounge layout George, but best to approach this step by step. What sort of base vehicle do you favour. The choice is your,s of course, but I would suggest plenty of horses under the bonnet.

Hi George.

Again welcome.

Ask away by all means but be sure to make up your own mind in the end. You will have to live in the thing.

Try as far as possible to define just what you will be using it for. Different horses for different courses.

Passengers? Two mostly and occasional others, or others mostly and occasional two?

Long/short holidays, weekends, away days support vehicle for any sports or walking/cycling.

Places to visit? Narrow lanes, tight parking spots?

Make sure that the van you end up with does exactly what you want it to. Then there is nothing to stop you taking occasional forays 'out of the box'.

You may find that friends/family will all say that they would love to come out with you to all those exotic places etc. Ask yourself seriously, will they?

Don't want to get a six berth 27ft coachbuilt when after six months a high top van will do very well.

Best of luck, enjoy yourself, and give Eeyore a wave if you see us on the road.

Thank you all for the replys, some good advice, and friendly too.

I must admit I dont like the idea of any one in the back not strapped in so the seat belt thing is on me must have list.

I agree with the commnet about people wanting to go with and at the moment the only member of the clan who I will be taking on a regular basis is my 13 going on 25 year old daughter, Believe you me there has been much rasing of eyebrows *-) at the mear suggestion of sleeping in a 'van "how uncool" "you are sooooo sad" she even walked around a dealers with her sunglasses on the other week just incase we bumped into any one we knew you all know the stuff so I'm not being tempted by the 30ft RV although they are very nice B-)

Understand about the dealer thing different peoples experince etc but a nod in the direction of some good ones might be a help???

anyway might see some of you at the york show

cheers

ps how do you get those cool avatars? particuarly like howies looks a real sweety

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Hi Geroge

Like my previous learned colleagues have stated, a warm welcome to you from us members of the madhouse.

Not too sure where you live, but obviously you've stated going to the York show, there is another show coming up at the NEC in Birmingham later in the year, there is also the very big annual one in Feb'08 - also at the NEC. Best to look around all makes and models that are on display so that you get a feel for what YOU want. Once this is done then you can start to narrow it down to a specific make & model. Also at the York show, there will be day visitors - we are a friendly bunch really - and if you see someone outside their van, ask to have a look inside, again this might give you some more ideas.!!

There is no easy answer, but you will settle on a style that you like, then it's a case of whether you want to buy brand new or go for a used van. Some of the used ones are not all that old as people do change on a regular basis.

On dealers, well there's good and bad, again look in magazines for one near you and go and see them to get a feel.

Good luck, & let us know how you get on, if you need any further advice then come back to the forum.

Thai

gadjo - 2007-08-10 9:19 AM

ps how do you get those cool avatars? particuarly like howies looks a real sweety

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Sorry to go off thread for a moment George, but before I add any further comments could you please clarify your gender. Thank you.

gadjo - 2007-08-09 11:18 AM

Hi Ya'll

The time have come for me to purchase a motorhome!!! I'm very excited about this as it is some thing I have wanted to do for a few years and now the time is right (lol)

This has probably been asked many time before and will bring many varied opinions but here goes.

I have been reading MMM (which i have found very infomative and dircted me to this forum) and doing a bit of research around dealers, got all of the glossy brochures and such and am intending to go to the show at york in september I have decided on a coach built 'van 4-5 berth around the 25-30 grand region around 20 foot long. Quite like the mid lounge with rear gally configeration, but the idea of a fixed bed also appeals.

To be honest there is so much choice I feel like a child in sweet shop and just like them all!!!

any advice about make, new versus used, recomened dealers, any pit falls to watch out for would be really appreicited.

also I have read about weights and such laden and un-laden and this seem as though it can be quite crucial with reagrd to the law and the performance of the 'van. Plus whats the deal on seat belts I have had conflicting advice bout the leagilty of travelling with and with out these.

I know all this may sound a bit niave to some of you more seasoned 'vanners out there but there is so much info and some times it can get a bit over whelming.

Cheers

Hi Gadjo

I dont think the experienced ones really know the rules, just that they are more blasea about it.

Mick H.

Hi Gadjo,

As has been said go to the shows, but then find a group of campers who have come to look as well, that has the van you are looking for. Talk to them .You will find as you go that the motorhome fraternity is a very friendly and informative bunch of people,ready to help and advise at the drop of a hat.Needs filtering sometimes but is honestly given with no financial incentive.

Mick H.

Again thanks to you all

I am in the Eastriding of Yorkshire region so have visited Barrons at york and been down to Brownhills in newark I am intending to go Oaktree near Mansfield and maybe a few dealers in Lancashire as I have realtives over there. and there are some other dealers near Hudersfield which aren't too far I think

There is show at the Lawns in Cottingham near Hull soon which I'm going to, but i have a feelng its more caravans than motorhomes.

Sorry howie just winding you up >:-)

I am male but your avatar does suggest you have sence of humour :D

Cheers

Gadjo

If in Mansfield then there is also Edge Hill motorhomes, admittedly they are Hymer importers and mainly left hookers. The dealer at Huddersfield is Lowdham, there is also one in Bradford - Dick Lane garages who have a good reputation and go mainly on referals.There is one also on Leeds road in Huddersfield very near the old ICI factory, but again these are mainly left hookers, and they do not have new models.

Hope this helps.

Thai

Gadjo

there are a lot of dealers in Lancashire - especially round Preston, like Todds and Marquis

Barrons branches always seem more caravan biased

whatever you do I'd wait until you've checked out the shows - like York which is handy for you, and make sure that whatever you think you've agrred with the dealer you get in writing >:-)

B-)

ps just spotted this thread on motorhome matters forum

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oheve

Hi Gadjo.

Just a thought from one who rarely contributes but reads a lot, Where you want to go is also a thought to bear in mind. I like to tour around Devon and Cornwall (as well as Spain) and You cant get a Coachbuilt van around the best parts as the lanes are to narrow, so to me a conversion is better. (I couldn't find what I wanted so I built mine.) But whatever yu choose, just enjoy, then sort out any problems after, not during.

Good luck. (lol)

Hi Gadjo, we're in Cottingham, if you want to 'natter' in person to someone drop me a PM (personal message - click on the PM button below left) and we can exchance phone numbers.

The Lawns show is a caravan show, it's okay if you want some accessories, although there aren't that many, but no good for looking at motorhomes I'm afraid.

Just a couple of more quick things:

1) do you have any particular hobbies that you would like to do whilst you travel around in your motorhome? If so, you'll need to make sure you can get the 'van to where you want to, to do them and also that you can store all of your kit in the van itself.

2) do you inten to use it just in the summer mainly or in winter too, if so you'll need to make sure you get one that is witerised with a good heating system etc.

Also, do a search of the forum looking for 'newbie' as the key word (make sure you select for it to look at 'all posts'), and also 'first van', you'll find a few previous postings on the subject.

Mel

How about the Autosleeper Pollensa George which meets all your requirements as far as I can see .

Ford Transit base, and as i,ve only had Peugot/Fiat for the last twelve years no bias.

All grp bodywork so water ingress highly unlikely.

20ft long with end kitchen and centre dinette and long settee including seat belts for two extra passengers.

4/5 berth. Officially four, but no problem fitting the extra youngster on board.

692kg payload, which is pretty good for a coachbuilt.

Recent second hand well within your budget plus good reputation for quality and no trouble when it comes to trading in and hold their value well.

Ticks all the boxes and a good safe buy. (if such a thing exists of course.)

Hi George, welcome again, it is not a 'pastime' it is a 'way of life', something like an asylum, you don't have to be mad but it helps. Like Howie says an Autosleeper Polensa may be good for you, I have the Autosleeper Legend, for forerunner of the Pollensa.

Archived