over xmas+new year

Forester

Myself & Maggie (she dosn't know yet) have decided to take the festive hols at ONE OF YOUR HOUSES we WILL require full board ( at your expence thank-you ) incl a double bed/morning paper/if poss maid service ALL DAY presents optinal can supply my own booze but would prefer yours and if poss out of pocket expenses. the other alternative is " Get raided by the police" they pay for that when they rehouse us. any offers?. he he  

[QUOTE]Forester - 2006-10-13 6:33 AM

Mel whats wrong with Humberside? its a lovley quite, clean, trouble-free place.  

[/QUOTE] That's probably because you're not there to cause trouble you little "wood chopper" - the un-educated call it Humberside (or 'umbaside') - if you want to keep calling it that, it's up to you ... are you educated or not?:-S Why not have a go at diving off the nice high platforms of the Humber bridge into the river, I'm sure you'd enjoy swiming with the fishes!! (lol)

I thought that was rather cruel as well Wayne. Maybe Mel could replace the picture of the mices with a chart of some kind that would let us know what to say and more importantly when to say it. Everyone I know refers to Hull and the surrounding area as Humberside Mel. Perhaps you could clarify the situation and save any further misunderstandings. Howard.

Now then gentlemen if you kindly stop having little 'digs' by calling it Humberside just to annoy, I'll stop making suggestions about swiming with the fishes and the like, okay? I take all of this as a bit of fun as that's how it's all meant, but seriously the name Humberside really does annoy a lot of people from these parts - don't ever say to someone from round here that they live in Humberside, you're likely to get more than you bargained for ... the fight to get the name back was a long one and hard won. Just because it is still referred to as Humberside doesn't make it right. The only thing that kept the name was Humberside Police to save millions on re-branding etc. We are officially the East Riding of Yorkshire again and have been for over 10 years or so now. This is what we were called before Humberside existed, which was only created as far as I can ascertain for government 'administrative/funding' purposes. With these being changed again we were were finally given back our original name - I was born in Yorkshire and am therefore a Yorkshire(wo)man, I was not born in Humberside and am not a Humbersidian (?) - or whatever it is. Which conjurs up the best image - Humberside or East Riding of Yorkshire? You may think all of this is rather daft, but I prefer to keep the correct name for our area, as I'm sure others prefer for their own place of birth. Just think, if you were born in Lancashire for example but they suddenly changed the name to Luneland (after the river Lune) would you like it??? Would that make everyone there Lunies!?!?!? :-S :-S 8-)

My dear Mel B.

I know what you mean I WAS born in Stockport Cheshire, but the powers that be moved the wicket to encompass manchester so we are Mancunian BOLLOCKS I'm a Cheshire lad through & through A STOCKFORDIAN & proud to be.

You have my deepest regards Wayne

And my god go with you my dear child 

No more little digs then Mel as I know how sensitive people can be and agree that East Riding has a far more dignified and romantic ring to it. Maybe you could do a little bit of research and find out where the name Ridings came from as we are hoping to tour that part of the world next spring and a little bit of local knowledge wouldn,t come amiss. Often wonder why these areas were reorganised as the result is always more cost and less efficiency with the resulting confusion that has all the hallmarks of goverment interference. Have to justify their wages I suppose even though it allways ends in a complete cockup. The discription Humbersidion doesn,t sound right either so how about Humbrarion and seeing as my grandfather came from northern Scotland you could refer to me after the delightfully named village in South Orkney. We had to wait in line to have our pictures taken next to the sign post and if Wayne carrys on with his happy clappy quotations you can call us a matching pair. Howard.

Quite right Mansell. As Mel has already stated the term Humberside was thrown out in 1996 and replaced with the areas of North Lincs. N.E. Lincs, Kingston on Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire (these may have been their original names but I don,t know). Like many others I use the term Humberside to describe the general area and not any of the specific locations mentioned. I once worked with a guy from Sunderland and because of his accent was always referred to as Geordie. You can well imagine his reaction and it is gaffs like this that make you realise how sensitive people are to where they come from. Howard.

Quite right Howard , I would not be called a Macca for no reason I am a true GEORDIE born & bred , Newcastle General Hospital ....People are sensitive. & although we left there when I was 10 and moved to London for work ...I still can speak as broad as OZZIE Auf weidersen Pet. AKA Jimmy Nail GET ME DRIFT ah howay man..yu na wra a mean . (lol) (lol) (lol) ;-)

Same here empress,, wish I was back there, I moved away when I was 18, for a man of course, and not been back to live there since, and I still miss it loads. At least I get the chance to go back often as all my family are in East Yorkshire, and by the coast too so when we finally get the MH the trips will be more frequent hopefully. My mum has been known to send circulars back to the senders with "This is not the correct address please re send to East Yorkshire."

Archived