putting avatar/pics on

chatterdog

Please Please could someone tell me what im doing wrong. I have been trying to put a picture on for my avatar for ages but still can not get it right. I have tried to resize but not being sure what the size restriction is i dont know if i am reducing the pic enough. All i seem to get is a box with a small white box with a small red x in it. Im not well up on this side of things with a comp, as only used it for business purposes up to about 12 months ago.

Many thanks for any advice/ guidance (in simple terms please)

The usual reason for the little red cross in the box is if you are trying to 'point' to a picture that is on your own computer, rather than one you have uploaded to the MMM server.

Have you had a look at the instructions on the Forum User Guide home page? They are quite useful for this sort of thing.

Chatterdog that happened to me for ages so I feel your frustration.

May I ask, is it a photo you have or a picture you have chosen in Google that you are trying to download? If it is a picture from Google images, then save it first as a photo in your photo programme.

Then go to control panel and when you click on browse, can you tell us what happens with you next. You go to your photo programme click on the photo you want to submit... and LOOK AT ITS DETAILS. Is it jpg? That was oneof my problems. If it is, then it must be the size that is wrong and you need a Resizer programme. Malc and Mick are good at these. If you want the one I use click on this:

http://www.picresize.com/

and download that. Keep all your programmes running at once by clicking the little - button on top right of screen - sorry don't know how basic you are, but it's maddening when people just said 'shrink it' to me when I had only just got my computer..... 8-)

If you try this and it doesn't work, come back and tell me what stage you got to and what happened. Joy

maggyd - 2008-08-27 10:18 PM

I use photobucket to upload and change it to avatar then copy and paste I think! or email it to yourself save to pics and try that way. I cant remeber myself now. 8-)

Maggy, what are we lot like 8-) *-) ;-)

Thanks for that everyone, and thankyou for the link Roon have just resized and gone to try to put on and it says server down. Before i had tried several times with a pic from my comp and one from photobucket as the info in the help pages says but i have never been successful. Will try again in a little while. Thankyou again

ROON - 2008-08-28 10:40 AM

maggyd - 2008-08-27 10:18 PM

I use photobucket to upload and change it to avatar then copy and paste I think! or email it to yourself save to pics and try that way. I cant remeber myself now. 8-)

Maggy, what are we lot like 8-) *-) ;-)

Well I dont know about you Joy but with me it must be an age thing !! I do something and then forget how I did it 8-) because it was probably more good luck than management.

Roon think I need help also. At long last thought I would put an avatar on but I'm stuck.

Re sized as you said then browsed and put it in me little box then clicked upload but nowts happened. I mean the pic hasn't gone where it should be.

Carol

I had tried for ages and got nowhere tried using photobucket also with another prog on my comp with no results, then roon kindley put a link on for resizing. used the link to pick and resize saved it to my docs. then used the forum control panel and loaded the resized pic from there using the bottom links on the control panel page where it says images. before i had tried to load where it says photo url which didnt work, that seems to pick the info from the images section once successful. Hope this makes sense and helps.

I resized first to 100 x100 pixels and then when the pic became smaller i then used the 75%smaller button to get the right size for putting on.

Hi Carol, when you browsed, did you then go back to your photo that you had RESIZED (having given it a new name with SAVE, don't forget) and then click on it and it shuld automatically come up in the Browse line.

If any probs again, come back and I will give you my mobile number and you can phone me when we are both at computer and go through it.

Joy

Archived