You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  General Chat -> Chatterbox
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
radio in france etc
AuthorMessage
userpagey
Posted: 19 August 2007 12:08 PM
Subject: radio in france etc

Lives on the forums

hi silly question really but one i dont know the answer to ...what wavebands do i need to recieve any of the bbc broadcasts when im in france or germany thanks in advance ,,pagey
userTerrytraveller
Posted: 19 August 2007 1:29 PM
Subject: RE: radio in france etc

Pillar of the forums

Hi Ken,

Radio 4 is receivable on 197 Khz Long wave, the old 1500 metres Light Programme frequency, over most of western europe. Otherwise its medium wave, search along the band very slowly and you will be suprised what you may pick up after dark, daylight hours usually looses the signal.

Remember your wireless set is using an internal ferrite aerial and and will need rotating to make the best of any signal you might receive.

If no signal is received on analog radio, I use the satelite dish and sat rx coupled to a cheap and low power consumption (0.08 amps) TV as a radio, although the sat dish and rx use around 2 amps.

Regards Terry
usercaraprof
Posted: 19 August 2007 5:24 PM

This isn't my experience I'm afraid. I lose any decent reception of Radio 4 long wave fairly soon after leaving the French coast! And medium wave programmes are even worse.

It's not much use when driving but if you really want to keep in touch with the news etc. when abroad then only a short wave radio will do the job properly. The BBC's World Service is what I tune into wherever I am on the globe.

Short wave radios aren't too expensive nowadays and of course they have the normal wavebands as well so can be used at home for the popular programmes.

userTerrytraveller
Posted: 19 August 2007 7:13 PM

Pillar of the forums

Hi Frank,

I agree the cab radio is useless while motoring, too much interference from the MH electronics when trying to listen to other than local FM stations.

The BBC are ceasing nearly all shortwave transmissions for overseas reception, in fact many have now been abandoned in favour of satellite broadcasts.

Have a deco at http://tinyurl.com/2acx3r gives detailed info. regarding MW & LW radio reception, I have found some portable radio sets are more sensitive than others, Roberts are usually pretty good radio sets and worth a look.

I have two identical looking portable radios, one badged as Phillips and cost £20 and the other badged as Alba and I paid only £8 for it, both sets were new. The Phillips Radio will pull in 50% more stations on MW than the Alba, and LW is also stronger with more low signal strength stations received.

Also have a look at http://tinyurl.com/vwhe to find MW & SW local transmissions when in europe.

Regards Terry

Edited by Terrytraveller 2007-08-19 7:18 PM
usertwooks
Posted: 19 August 2007 8:30 PM

we use the LW [only I think it's 198!] mentioned by Terry for radio 4, especially on Monday evenings at 7.30 [their time] and - if we're feeling really nasty we listen to the traffic reports of all the jams and tail backs from our bed on a morning

Edited by twooks 2007-08-19 8:31 PM
userW3526602
Posted: 20 August 2007 7:34 AM

Epic contributor

Hi,

At our place in France, about 30km South of St Malo, we can receive BBC Radio Jersey and Classic Gold between just after 0900 and 1700 local time. At about 0855 we are still getting what sounds like several foreign stations, all on top of each other, and its amazing to hear them fade away as the big hand nears the 12.

Woulsd a igital radio help with the stations mentioned above.

userTerrytraveller
Posted: 20 August 2007 9:46 AM

Pillar of the forums

Hi John,

I wonder if you are receiving the stations from the channel Islands on FM or MW? I know you can receive the channel islands on FM and even TV around your area and all the way up the Cherbourg peninsula, mounting a directional FM aerial on your house will improve your reception on FM and hopefully cut out the unwanted stations.

I am not sure whether digital (DAB) radio is available from the CI yet, as I understand it is transmitted on much lower power than FM and MW and requires a different type of aerial, although I receive DAB at home okay in the Swindon area on an internal aerial.

Your best bet for solid radio reception would be to use Satellite, all radio stations are broadcast on sat, even all the newer DAB stations are there.

Regards Terry
usertwooks
Posted: 20 August 2007 9:48 AM

apparently DAB in the UK is on a different wavelength or channel or whatever to the rest of the galaxy [so, no change there then ]

userpagey
Posted: 20 August 2007 11:46 AM

Lives on the forums

many thanks guys i had been looking at a roberts radio and i will now buy it ( i did ask this question in the radio shop but got a blank look)..pagey
userike
Posted: 20 August 2007 12:46 PM

A posting machine

i bought a roberts radio last year and have difficulty getting the BBC world service on shortband. Waggling the aerial around, including hanging out of the window with it (when not driving!) all to little avail. Is their a knack to it? We do manage to pick up radio Scotland on our MH radio in the north of France though!
userOld Git
Posted: 20 August 2007 7:13 PM

A posting machine

I know very little about these, but my wife won one for a "letter of the week" and I have to say I'm very impressed.

I spoke to a friend who is quite expert, and he thinks Pure are better than Roberts - though there's not much to choose. This one, called the "Pure One" looks very plasticky, but it is ABS and the tone is excellent with no case vibration at all.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews/review.phtml/1502/2526/pure-one-dab-digital-radio.phtml

I think I'd avoid the "Barbara Cartland pink" one though. Vinny Jones might get away with using one, but I wouldn't risk it.
userJudgeMental
Posted: 20 August 2007 10:49 PM

will this pick up local UK stations whilst away in Europe
userOld Git
Posted: 21 August 2007 10:29 AM

A posting machine

Don't know Judge. Pure has a pretty good website with lots of information but I'm thick when it comes to electronics so I probably wouldn't understand. Ask Mr Google to give you a hand.
userVernon B
Posted: 24 August 2007 7:28 PM

Lives on the forums

caraprof - 2007-08-19 5:24 PM

This isn't my experience I'm afraid. I lose any decent reception of Radio 4 long wave fairly soon after leaving the French coast! And medium wave programmes are even worse.

It's not much use when driving but if you really want to keep in touch with the news etc. when abroad then only a short wave radio will do the job properly. The BBC's World Service is what I tune into wherever I am on the globe.

Short wave radios aren't too expensive nowadays and of course they have the normal wavebands as well so can be used at home for the popular programmes.

Useful tips Caraprof but my experience is that BBC World Service output is limited to what's going on in Africa. These reception problems once again raise the question of what are the benefits of being in the EU. We don't get any info on what's going on in member states on our news programmes and we can't find out what's going on back home when over there.

Vernon
userMick H.
Posted: 28 August 2007 12:16 PM

Epic contributor

So why bother listening to the radio anyway in france. Get out and enjoy the scenary and the ambience, and dont worry whats happening here.

Mick H.
usercaraprof
Posted: 28 August 2007 12:35 PM

Mick H. - 2007-08-28 12:16 PM So why bother listening to the radio anyway in france. Get out and enjoy the scenary and the ambience, and dont worry whats happening here. Mick H.

Here we go again! Someone asks for info on satellite TV and some smart alec always pops up and says "TV, who needs TV, read a good book and watch the scenery."

And here we have it again - listen Mick H, I want to know what's happening when I'm abroad. Most intelligent people who are interested in politics and current affairs also do.

Now you may be the type who doesn't read a decent newspaper and who couldn't care less if the government falls or the queen dies whilst you're away, but some of us do, so please let us carry on with our discussion on the best way to receive radio whilst abroad, with the interruption of fatuous comments like yours.

Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator