reading test

flicka

Don't delete this just because it looks weird. Believe it or not, you can read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigd Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

So for all of us out there who can't spell there's still hope. *-) 8-)

Joking aside Michele, I can think of nothing more frustrating than suffering from dyslexia. The difficulty you and others have experienced from this problem must have had a huge impact, especially during your formative years, where something we all take for granted such as learning to read and understand words must have created problems hard for the rest of us to imagine.

No wish to pry, but a insight on how you faced and overcame, or at least came to terms with dyslexia would be of interest, and hopefully give us a better understanding of what its all about from a personal point of view rather than some medical explanation.

the teacher said I was lazy ? lazy only with writing and reading .

i used to put my hand up to go to the toilets she used to shout at me .

It made me vomit and not want to go to school .

When it was time to learn the clock and tell the time I said to my mum I am going to vomit again with nerves mum taught me with two balls I used to play two balls and say 5 past 10 past 15 past etc .

mum went to school and I was evntually sent to see a man who gave me yellow glasses these glasses made the letters appear to be around the right way so I could read .

Its always been a stuggle and even now its funny because the Sw fred has is dyslexic also and between her and me its hard to reda the e mials

if anyone saw them they would think it was an inigma .

people think if you are dyslexic you msut be silly well thats not the case.

now I just get on with it if I am typing fast it gets alot of muddles in it apart from that I usually dont spell it wrong just the wrong way around .

Grammar capitol and stuff like that dont play an important part as its hard enough already

Well I think you do great Michelle to have overcome such a massive hurdle :-D My Son who is a Art Teacher at a Comp School discovered he had a problem when at Teachers training College! they were testing pupils at a school he was training in and he asked for a test, they were amazed he has a slight problem he is also colour blind!!

When he was in the infants the teacher pulled me up and asked me to teach him his colours! I clicked that he had the problem after about 10 mins working with him :-S you would think that Teachers would be trained to spot these problems wouldnt you? He managed to hide the fact he was colour blind right through Comp until his last year when his Art teacher said he was brilliant except he used too much green in his work! I said well that is probably because he cant tell the difference between brown , green and red ! he nearlly fell of his chair! and said right I will have him tested , I dont think my Son ever forgage me for that as his class mates now had something to quiz him about. :-S

The same with my friend I worked with him for years at a cash & carry we used to get the whiskas cat food free from the rep by the case.

The cats prefered the green one I used to go to the tannoy in the office and call jack get us a case of whiskas the green one . One day he brought the brown one and we didnt know . His mum worked there asol and she told us after that we used to give it a name . :D He laughed and then we usde to aks him how he couloed coded his clothes in the morning his reply mum does it :D lazy sod ... actually he was quite capable of doing it himself but thats what mums are for :D

Just shows how amazing the human mind is.

Our niece suffers from dyslexia and things like this are a great help to dispell hers concerns about her ability with spelling and reading.

We are still trying to fathom out why the condition causes so much difficulty with letters as opposed to figures. Her maths are excellent.

funny that but I am crap at Math but the numbers are the correct way around . I dont retain them very good thats another problem .

i think its something to do wtih the fact taht the letters are all together but the maths is not so long if taht makes sense. 8-)

N

Knowing me it doesnt :D

Michele

Just curious about your dyslexia, but do you know which is your dominant hand and eye?

I instruct target shooting and have found out over the years that dyslexics tend to show little eye dominance.

Everyone knows which is their dominant hand (the hand that they would use to pull the trigger), but I often find that students are unaware of their dominant eye (the eye that they would use to look through a telescope).

It is normal for the dominant hand and eye to be on the same side, but about 15% have them on opposite sides and this causes them big problems when rifle shooting (or for clay-pigeon). The degree of dominance is normally very marked indeed, but dyslexics, I have found show very little dominance effect. Do you know what is the case for yourself?

Just curious ;-)

flicka - 2008-04-28 8:21 PM

Don't delete this just because it looks weird. Believe it or not, you can read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigd Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

So for all of us out there who can't spell there's still hope. *-) 8-)

Just looking at John,s original posting Michele and as he suggests, no problem reading it.

Does this apply to you with regard to dyslexia, with the problems of getting the words and letters in the right place, or do you have difficulties reading it straight through.

spospe - 2008-05-01 4:07 PM

Michele

Just curious about your dyslexia, but do you know which is your dominant hand and eye?

I instruct target shooting and have found out over the years that dyslexics tend to show little eye dominance.

Everyone knows which is their dominant hand (the hand that they would use to pull the trigger), but I often find that students are unaware of their dominant eye (the eye that they would use to look through a telescope).

It is normal for the dominant hand and eye to be on the same side, but about 15% have them on opposite sides and this causes them big problems when rifle shooting (or for clay-pigeon). The degree of dominance is normally very marked indeed, but dyslexics, I have found show very little dominance effect. Do you know what is the case for yourself?

Just curious ;-)

To drift off topic slightly but this is interesting. Personally I'm profoundly leftist, that is to say I'm left handed, left eyed and left footed. Interestingly I seem to recall reading (many years ago so forgive me if I'm mistaken) that most pro photographers are left eyed, interesting because almost, if not all, cameras are designed to favour the right eye. Well they were till the advent of digital cameras with no viewfinder :-S .

I know of several people who although they are normally right handed play golf left handed :-S Mind you I also know one chap who is left handed but plays golf right handed :-S :-S

D.

i have never heard of any right handed people playing golf left handed. but yes left handed people might play golf right handed as when they started they only used right handed clubs

The usual explaination for right handed folk playing golf etc left handed (and vice-versa) is that the dominant eye is on that side. In other words the dominant eye is on the opposite side to the dominant hand and most people will by reflex use the dominant eye.

A right handed person who is left eye dominant will automatically use the left eye for the viewfinder. Given reasonably even development of the right and left hands it is quite easy for a right handed person to learn to use the left hand for any task; what is not possible is to change eye dominance.

Sorry, but I am getting off the original topic, so I will shut up now.

spospe - 2008-05-01 10:21 PM

The usual explaination for right handed folk playing golf etc left handed (and vice-versa) is that the dominant eye is on that side. In other words the dominant eye is on the opposite side to the dominant hand and most people will by reflex use the dominant eye.

A right handed person who is left eye dominant will automatically use the left eye for the viewfinder. Given reasonably even development of the right and left hands it is quite easy for a right handed person to learn to use the left hand for any task; what is not possible is to change eye dominance.

Sorry, but I am getting off the original topic, so I will shut up now.

Well with apologies to Flicka for hijacking his thread but I for one find this much more interesting than the OP which was in all honesty a repeat. There would appear to be many people who are right hand dominant but left eye dominant, does this have any significance?

Don't forget though that left handed people are the only ones in their right minds! :->

D.

Don't forget though that left handed people are the only ones in their right minds! :->

D.

You reckon Dave?. I,m cack handed as well. :-S

Interesting stuff this 'dominant eye' Michael, and something i,ve heard of before. Used to 'shoot' in a local air rifle league, and when it came to judging range or direction then i,ve always found a very marked difference between the one eye (left) over the other. Used to go along with the idea that any weakness in the one eye would be compensated by the other but obviously not the case.

Just wondering why those 'yellow glasses' improve dyslexia. Is it down to the colour, special lenses or a combination of the two.

K&D - 2008-05-01 8:15 PM i have never heard of any right handed people playing golf left handed. but yes left handed people might play golf right handed as when they started they only used right handed clubs

Hi K&D

Phil Michelson is actually a right handed person playing golf left handed.

This was due to the fact the the only way that he could see his father - his original coach - and learn how to swing a club was to stand opposite his dad & copy his swing. So his father being right handed & Phil was acutally making a mirror image of his dad's swing.

In my early days - in Thailand - they did not like left handed children, and sometimes I would get a crack across the nuckles if I was seen writing with my left hand.

Played cricket at school in England - then to quite a high standard in local leagues. Guess what?? Batted left handed but bowled right handed.!!

In the cadet force at school, represented the school in rifle shooting, which were held at the "Bisley" ranges.Very akward when I was shooting left handed - my predominant eye is left eye- when using a right handed 303 rifle!!

I can write with either hand.

Now that's why I'm confused.http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Thai

howie - 2008-05-01 11:43 PM

D.

You reckon Dave?. I,m cack handed as well. :-S

Interesting stuff this 'dominant eye' Michael, and something i,ve heard of before. Used to 'shoot' in a local air rifle league, and when it came to judging range or direction then i,ve always found a very marked difference between the one eye (left) over the other. Used to go along with the idea that any weakness in the one eye would be compensated by the other but obviously not the case.

Just wondering why those 'yellow glasses' improve dyslexia. Is it down to the colour, special lenses or a combination of the two.

You dont even need the glasses you can cover the page with the coloured perspex I think and it also works with colour blindness although the colour is in glasses.

It's all interesting reading.

There is also the fact that usually with people that have dsyleciaor any other difficulty, they are usually compensated in another field.

There appears to be a high % of actors/actresses with dsylecia.

Then there is the young lad with Downes syndrome, who has a photographic memory who is able to draw building archetecturally correct from memory. We also hear al ot of about Downes syndrome being able to play difficult music pieces by ear, yet do not understand music scores.

There must be many other cases of heightened senses compensating for others that are impaired or lost.

As one of the forum membeers signs off

" Everyone is a special individual"

Archived