remember these

gaz43

Gaz

When I had a market stool in the late 70's I had a commer gown van, exact shape as camper 7, and caravan 2 looks very familer, it is like one that my parents toured with when I was young, pos in late 50's early 60's. I seem to remember that the floor lifted out and there was a tin bath under it, filled by hand but cant remember how it emptied, tried not to get to near LOL

Geof

Great photos.

But if you could go back and take another of the last one because you only have half of the Land Rover Series 1 that presumably towed it.

For us Land Rover anoraks such a picture is abit like having a donut only to find no jam in it.

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Ooooo .... lovely!!!

Our first camper was a Commer Autosleeper pop-top conversion - one owner from new (56k miles I think), unfortunately he'd been ill for a couple of years before passing away so it had been stood around and needed a lot of work/overhauling to get it running again but the interior fittings and exterior paint etc, were almost perfect and most was original.

Marmajuke (MMJ was his reg) was lovely to drive but just tooooooo small - we knew how sardines in a tin felt! :D

Yes Gaz I remember them very well. I worked for a Rootes Group garage. They smelt lovely when brand new; you don't get the same new car smell these days!

When they first came out they wouldn't start from cold and you had to hold a piece of burning rag in front of the air intake to encourage them! (Easy start not invented yet). The cure was to change the oil from 40 to 30 grade.

And do you remember these? Only a few motorcaravans were made on this model, the Standard Atlas. They originally had a 948cc engine and would do about 50 flat out.

As I was then young and foolish I put a Triumph Herald 13/60 twin carburettor engine in mine with an overdrive on 2nd, 3rd and top. Much better.

Soon after this picture was taken I cut a big hole in the top and fitted the lifting roof out of an old Dormobile. Went all over in it, great machine.

Later models had, I think, the 1600 engine.

An Italian waiter from Wells bought mine in the end, took the fittings out and took his family and furniture back to Rome.

Regards,

Andy.

2041854692_Atlas1EM.jpg.02a86a8c6a6a3375bd6e6194c437f760.jpg

Archived