retirement homes

michele

That's your next few weekends planned then Michele.

You will have to visit a few and look around, if they are any good they will let you wander around and talk to the inmates, sorry, residents.

We have had to do this for parents but were looking for nursing care as well, different type of home, same rules apply though.

You could always smile at the kids occasionally or.

Having worked in them since I was 16 I would say always go for the biggest, don't believe all the hype of " oh its lovely and cosy and just like home" all it means is you are sat with 3 or 4 others half of which you probably can't stand and theres no getting away.

In a big home they have much more funding, more staff so you don't get stuck with the same one you probably don't like either, and more rooms to escape to for your own sanity. I have already told my children as soon as I get to much for them to put me in one, no matter how much I object , but it has to be huge and in a nice place. The more people in there to amuse me the less they will have to visit!! .

Sorry just worked in so many of these places as I worked for a nursing agency in Manchester, Northamptonshire, Powys and Shropshire I saw a great variety of good and bad and these are just my opinions.

Mandy

janine I know that Howie he manages to cause trouble even when he's not here I just dont know . He said to tell you that he liked them shoe better in blue he said that red was just a tad umh how did he put it a tad to raunchy for him he liked a lady to look like a lady so he was propsing that you get to keep the fishnets :D but change to blue .

maggie thats it you see I told it like it is you see my kids call me Roxanne

as in Rosanne Barr such a dry sense of humour I told them that they had no inheretance as I intended to spend the lot .

they said its ok we will have the house I said sorry darhlings ..........spit ..you need to ask permission and by then I will of used it in old age retirement home ...so they said not where they intend putting me :D little darhlings....spit :D

i told them not to beleive in everything they think :D

i said darhlings did you both eat an extra bowl of sillyness this morning :D

i told them straight if they have something to say they had to raise their hands and then put them over their mouths :D

i said hello kids your not feeling good today are you I have noticed the improvement already :D Oh dont you just love it they hate my SOH .. :D

I just dont know :D

I think Bruce will just park up whatever M/H we have at the time and all that his retirement home.... :-D

Seriously - a tip is to get in with someone working or who has worked for Social Services who can give you the low down....my Dads just had to find a residential care home for my Mum who has Alzheimers and shes in a wonderful place now in Wimbourne.

You can also go for respite care in some... so you could toddle off in your m/h and maybe book in one for the weekend to try it out.... :->

I think Bruce will just park up whatever M/H we have at the time and all that his retirement home.... :-D

Seriously - a tip is to get in with someone working or who has worked for Social Services who can give you the low down....my Dads just had to find a residential care home for my Mum who has Alzheimers and shes in a wonderful place now in Wimbourne.

You can also go for respite care in some... so you could toddle off in your m/h and maybe book in one for the weekend to try it out.... :->

Tony Jones - 2007-11-14 9:42 AM

That "ISH" is one of the biggest words in the English language Michele!

Tony

Its called being economical with the truth Tony. Ladies are past masters at this form of (self) deception, and while not strictly true its not telling a lie either.

Determined to end my days in my own bed if possible, but for those who have no option, then as long as you do your homework you will find there are retirement homes that will do you proud and live up to all your expectations.

J9withdogs - 2007-11-14 9:46 AM

I'm planning on spending all of my money before I get to that age - my Dad is in a nursing home, paying £500 per week until his money runs out.

Then he will be in the same nursing home with the state paying the bill. *-)

Jan makes a very good point in her post -

It's an EXTREMELY important part of your financial planning that if you think there is a likelihood of having to go into residential care at some point in the not-to-distant future, that you spread/sign/over "give" as much of your financial assets as possible to spouse/children etc, to bring you under the savings threshold if at all possible.

Can't remember the exact threshold now, is it somewhere in the region of £36,000?

I know of many many people who have done that to avoid this sort of "extra-stealth-tax-because-you've-worked-hard-and-been-prudent", on the clear (but informal and of course unwritten) understanding that "It's still Dad's/Mum's money really, I'm just holding it for them in accounts that are in my name rather than theirs".

Health Warning: I am not a registered IFA, so am not giving any specific financial advice here, I am however strongly suggesting that people discuss this issue with their own IFA.

B-)

I think it is now £21,000 savings before benefits kick in. Then there are 'top-ups' where a third party have to pay the difference over and above the state minimum contribution. It's a nightmare.

Then when Dad says' I haven't got to spend the rest of my life here, do I?' it breaks your heart.

Archived