retirement

KD

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest starspirit

As soon as the potential retirement income gives you an inflation proof income that is enough to live comfortably and run a motorhome and two cars on, and as soon as capital held exceeds the capital owed (mortgage).

That's what we did and it worked well.

The simple answer is when you can afford to do it K&D. However, this is a huge subject, to great to be discussed in depth here, and will of course vary with individual circumstances. A very wary eye on future inflation if you need to retire on a fixed income is one of the great unknowns.

its not all about money but when can you say you dont want the income anymore and just be satisified with having enough. also is retirement all it is cracked up to be can you look forward to the breaks as much without the daily routine in between

Guest starspirit

There is never any need to apologise Ron because I never take offence but I thank you for the kind gesture and wish you many good years of contented loafing and exploring.

Just don't tell 'em all or they'll all want to join in and all the good places will get crowded.

Guest starspirit
K&D - 2007-10-09 9:06 PM

its not all about money but when can you say you dont want the income anymore and just be satisified with having enough. also is retirement all it is cracked up to be can you look forward to the breaks as much without the daily routine in between

Pardon me mate but it is all about money because without it you are up a certain creek sans paddle and would be unable to relax and enjoy.

That said you don't need a fortune as long as you are able to control your budget sensibly and not use capital for day to day living costs.

Retirement is a frame of mind. Some folks love work and/or worship high income and I doubt they could happily retire early.

Others love the freedom, lack of pressure, lack of responsibility, certainty of a guaranteed pension and can find plenty to do.

Just know which group you fall into before making an irreversible jump!

starspirit - 2007-10-09 9:11 PM

K&D - 2007-10-09 9:06 PM

Pardon me mate but it is all about money because without it you are up a certain creek sans paddle and would be unable to relax and enjoy.

That said you don't need a fortune as long as you are able to control your budget sensibly and not use capital for day to day living costs.

no other things considered i have children youngest being only 14 months old thats him in the picture

K&D - 2007-10-09 8:48 PM

on the claim to fame thread people are going on about how they have achieved retirement, what would you say would be the right time.

When your as rich as Mr Caraprof. :D

Guest starspirit

Children that age means you have a long wait folks - at least about 25 years probably - and whether you can save during that period is also dubious.

Try and get into a job with a good final salary pension if you can find one other than working for the government!

peter - 2007-10-09 9:18 PM

on the claim to fame thread people are going on about how they have achieved retirement, what would you say would be the right time.

but he aint retired

Guest caraprof
K&D - 2007-10-09 8:48 PM on the claim to fame thread people are going on about how they have achieved retirement, what would you say would be the right time.

It certainly helps I must admit!

Yes, but Mr Caraprof is also very OLD, Peter - way past state retirement age. *-)

caraprof - 2007-10-09 9:20 PM
K&D - 2007-10-09 8:48 PM on the claim to fame thread people are going on about how they have achieved retirement, what would you say would be the right time.

It certainly helps I must admit!

but your not retired is it the love of your job

J9withdogs - 2007-10-09 9:20 PM

Yes, but Mr Caraprof is also very OLD, Peter - way past state retirement age. *-)

Sorry J9 hadn't thought of that. You forgot to add that he's also very grumpy. :D

Guest caraprof
J9withdogs - 2007-10-09 9:20 PM

Sorry to disappoint you J9 but I'm quite a way off getting my state pension. I've a terrific one from a lovely Scottish Widow, which I had to take recently as it had a guaranteed annuity rate of 10%. This is the one thing that the government is very generous about. For every £1.13p I take out of my business I end up with 60p but if I put the whole £1.13 into a pension fund I get the lot. And I put a lot in for over 30 years!

Then the good old Widow demutualised and gave me a six-figure sum to add to the pot! Best and luckiest decision I ever took as it turned out that my scheme had the afore-mentioned guaranteed annuity rate, which paid out 10% as opposed to the market rate of 6%.

And I still have a couple or three little businesses, so life's just fine thank you!

At 55 I went into semi-retirement, as I have many other social interests, and have gradually worked it down to about half a day a fortnight, just to keep my eye on things.

Guest caraprof
J9withdogs - 2007-10-09 9:31 PM You're cruisin' for a bruisin', Peter :D

Not from me he isn't! Peter is very direct and says what he means, as do you. What I really hate is sly asides without any names mentioned. You know who is being got at but it's done in a kind of creepy, insidious way!

Peter is also never guilty of the kind of false 'hail fellow well met' crap that we get a lot of on this forum, remember 'Old Git'? Made me want to puke!

"Well done Jimmy, my old friend".

"Wonderful bit of insight Freddie my old mate" etc. etc.

All this to blokes he'd never met and probably couldn't stand if he did!

Ah well, I suppose he waves at everyone so that's OK!

Keep it up Peter!

michele - 2007-10-09 10:07 PM

Uhmmm`moving along before it starts again and we all get our legs chopped .

Should we gentleman ??? 8-)

You speak for yourself girl. Us men are pure as the driven snow and wouldn't say a word out of place. (lol)

Archived