rudeness to women

KD

for many years I used to frequent my local estate pub, sadly it as now been knocked down to make room for some overpriced apartments. anyway I used to always sit along with a couple of friends my own age with a couple of oldish men. again sadly I attended both their funerals a couple of years ago. these two old man im sure most of you could relate to. big characters could swear and tell dirty jokes with the best of them, argue black is blue. hate whoever was in power. never a quiet moment in that old fashioned scruffy full of smoke and stunk of stale ale pub. one thing neither Ted or Neil would ever have done was swore or have been rude to a lady. something im grateful to them for as it as rubbed off.

now I don't know how old a certain few of you are but until now I thought this to be common amongst a generation sadly some have let that generation down

and yes before you say it aren't I patronising

Guest Tracker
I do try to hold true to those ideals Dean - but I make an exception for Mel and Janine - and I would for Michele too but she's bigger than me!

Tracker - 2008-04-24 8:14 PM

I do try to hold true to those ideals Dean - but I make an exception for Mel and Janine - and I would for Michele too but she's bigger than me!

(lol) at above

I treat woman as equals, so I'm rude to woman and men

Dean this thread so brings a sad smile to my face, making me think of my Dad he was a real mans man ex Royal Navy and very tough, he always enjoyed a drink or 3 but would never tolerate anyone swearing in front of any women I never heard him swear all my life, but Ed always says if they went for a drink in a pub and anyone was swearing, he would just go up to them hold the top of their arm squeeze, believe me they stopped swearing immediately, I know you can't do things like that now, but that was my Dad. Carol.

K&D - 2008-04-24 7:49 PM for many years I used to frequent my local estate pub, sadly it as now been knocked down to make room for some overpriced apartments. anyway I used to always sit along with a couple of friends my own age with a couple of oldish men. again sadly I attended both their funerals a couple of years ago. these two old man im sure most of you could relate to. big characters could swear and tell dirty jokes with the best of them, argue black is blue. hate whoever was in power. never a quiet moment in that old fashioned scruffy full of smoke and stunk of stale ale pub. one thing neither Ted or Neil would ever have done was swore or have been rude to a lady. something im grateful to them for as it as rubbed off. now I don't know how old a certain few of you are but until now I thought this to be common amongst a generation sadly some have let that generation down and yes before you say it aren't I patronising

Sadly Dean the Age of the Gentleman seems to have gone or is going!! I dont know who is to blame for this maybe its our own faults! Womens lib and all that but it is a shame I know my Husband would never use a four letter word in my presence and was very embarressed when he let slip one day when talking to a friend about work! Ive never seen him blush before or since.

Guest peter
I agree with you, but have you noticed how rude Women are now. it makes me very glad I got married a long time ago, as there would be very few of the current crop of Females that I would want to take out let alone spend the rest of my life with.

Guest Tracker

Just as there are unpleasant men so there are unpleasant women but that does not mean that all women are horrible.

Sure many women are not nice these days but only if you allow them to cross your path and in my experience the vast majority of women are more loyal dependable and supportive than men.

Most people are born with a inbuilt politeness and courteous attitude towards others and sometimes feel its how life has treated some that makes them so beligerent and ill mannered.

Rather than respond in kind perhaps the best approach would be to always offer a polite and friendly attitude towards them which i,ve found, once you have gained their trust and confidence, usually brings out the best in them.

One example would be Victor. Full of bile and spite, but always lacking that true venom that puts him beyond the pale.

Look on it as a real challenge. Usual response initially is a defensive barrage of even more abuse, but by continually chipping away we may even get him, and others of the same ilk, to actually start making a positive contribution to this forum.

My Dear Dad was a miner and I expect could use foul language with the best of them but we never heard him say anything other than bl--dy hell or bug-er.

If he was out with mum & myself and anyone used bad language he used to tap them on the shoulder and say "not in front of the ladies please". Usually the person would apologise and not swear anymore, the odd ones would moan and then leave.

My dad, who is 90 this year, was and still is a gentleman as far as I am concerned. He is very ill with cancer now and has the onset of Altzheimers but he still maintains his dignity and respect to EVERYBODY. He sometimes makes me stop the car so he can help 'an old lady' across the road ..... they are usually at least 30 years younger than him!! But everybody loves him.... We were always poor but he says 'manners cost nothing, as does a smile.' I love him to bits.

You are so right about the changing world and sadly a lot of women have also contributed to the way we have lost the right to demand respect. But it isn't just the swearing and manners: I still remember the men stopping (and removing their caps, if applicable) when a funeral procession passed in the street - now I still find myself nodding at the leading car in respect, and then feel stupid.

Joy

Most people of that generation were the same Mary, and while swearing in the workplace was the norm it was never allowed at home or in other company.

Part of the problem is the ever increasing amount of bad language on tv etc. Once used to shock or put over a point strongly it is now something most have come to expect and lost any impact, and as my Mum used to say, a poor substitute for those who cannot string more than two or three words together.

Not a prude, but nothing more off putting than someone effing and blinding regardless of who might or might not find it offensive.

yes Howie I agree, I am no prude either but using the F word constantly makes people look small in my opinion.

TV has a lot to answer for because it sometimes spols a good film or show, in fact if bad language is every other word I either switch off or go to another programme.

I also agree that women themselves have caused a lot of it in fact some ladies (I use the word losely in this case) are worse than men.

Archived