security on side windows

jdh

it seems that the latest way of robbing our mh when abroad and sleeping soundly is to cut around the rubber seal on the side windows with a stanley knife and then the windows can then just be taken out and the hand put in to either open the door or rob the glove box or even undo the device we have to fix the doors together.

lve been thinking of ways to try and counteract this problem some of the ideas lve come up with are :- to glue the window in from the inside gluing it to the inside rubber seal or by fixing a thin bar across the centre of the window which some how would have to attached to the glass this would stop the glass being taken out and also act as a deterant

has anyone out there any input or even over come this growing problem (?) (^)

Hi David. If you go to search at the top right of screen and type in "simple security" and time limit (twelve months should do) then you will find plenty of threads covering this subject. I think everyone agreed there was no reasonable deterrent to stop a determined thief, but if you have any ideas then let us know as it affects us all one way or the other. Howard.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
michele - 2006-12-06 6:45 PM David, What would you do if it caught fire ? don't glue your windows...

Good thinking Batman! There have been numerous cases of people dying because they couldn't get out of their heavily fortified homes before the fumes rendered them unconscious.

l seem to have given the wrong impression, when l say make the window so it can not be removed l mean the Quarter lights in the cab of a fiat etc which is just to easy to remove with a stanley knife, of coarse this will not infringe any escape route in case of fire but l do think that taking a simple precaution would save a lot off heart ache later on, in the case of this window you may as well just not bother ot lock the doors :$

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Am I the only one who remembers that, when the Caped Crusader came up with a brilliant wheeze, Robin would say "Good thinking Batman"?

See what you mean regarding the side window John, and anything that improves security, then why not, but it may be easier to fit deadlocks to the doors or a strap/chain between the doors to prevent them being opened. You still need to strike a balance between security and easy access in any emergency, and it was generally agreed that highly visual deterrents were the best solution.........

Hi Frank. Yes we all remember Batman, but the way you replied made it seem you were referring to Michele. She,s been called quite a few things on these forums, but this was a new one to me. Howard.

How about guillotines ! Fix a couple of very sharp blades, hinged at one end only, held up clear of the windows, with free ends supported on gossamer thread, so that were anyone to intrude, by placing their hand in contact with the thread, it will part and allow the very sharp blade to descend, rapidly!

BUT make sure you place a warning sign adjecent to the suspect windows, as required un "H&S" legislation *-)

Guest Frank Wilkinson
howardtcz - 2006-12-07 9:21 AM See what you mean regarding the side window John, and anything that improves security, then why not, but it may be easier to fit deadlocks to the doors or a strap/chain between the doors to prevent them being opened. You still need to strike a balance between security and easy access in any emergency, and it was generally agreed that highly visual deterrents were the best solution......... Hi Frank. Yes we all remember Batman, but the way you replied made it seem you were referring to Michele. She,s been called quite a few things on these forums, but this was a new one to me. Howard.

I was complimenting her on her quick thinking! Perhaps I should have said "Good thinking Batwoman"!

Archived