sunscreen

ROON

Are there any Chemists, scientists, or other out there please who can tell me of what to use as a sunscreen (on me not on van) that doesn't contain Oxybenzone which studies are more and more proving may do more harm (and be more carcinogenic) than the good it is doing. Thank you. Joy

Thanks Colin. I'll look into them. I have been into several health shops but they all seem to contain ONE ingredient (if not the oxybenzole) which breast cancer patients are told to avoid. It is absorbed through the skin (mainly on the arms). But I will have a look and am grateful to you for your reply. Joy

Thank you for your replies, but I've just had a shock. Been onto the sites and found that there is not a single sunscreen product that doesn't contain something called titanium oxide which is supposed to be a natural product. However, it turns out it is taken into the body via the skin (especially arms and legs) and that large amounts of this were found in the urine of cancer patients.

QUOTE FOLLOWS FROM ONE SITE.......

There are companies that make sunscreens, and they call them organic, but they have synthetic chemicals in them. But that´s not the worst of it. According to our research, sunscreens give users a false sense of security in that while they effectively prevent sunburn, they do little or nothing to prevent skin cancer or the accelerated aging of the skin caused by sunlight.

There is a substantial body of evidence that shows that there is an increase in cancer when sunscreen products are used. We've done a lot of research into sunscreens. The bottom line is this: we have found no sunscreen ingredients which we consider to be safe.

So now you're thinking that the minerals titanium dioxide and zinc oxide might be "safe" sunblocks, right? Isn't that what "natural" personal care products manufacturers have suggested?

The shocking truth is the fact that both chemical sunscreens (avobenzone, methoxycinnamate, padimate-o and the like) and physical sunblocks (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide) have been found to generate free radicals when exposed to sunlight, which then can attack the nuclei of your skin cells and cause mutations. That´s right: they can cause skin cancer. Furthermore, sunscreen chemicals have been found to pass through the skin and mimic the effects of estrogen, which may disrupt the delicate balance of the body´s natural hormones.

The following excerpt is taken from a book called "Sunscreen Photobiology—Molecular, Cellular and Physiological Aspects": "Illumination of titanium dioxide suspensions with sunlight can degrade organic materials and purify drinking water, while illumination with short wave UV kills human cells. This work shows that the distinction between 'chemical' sunscreens and 'physical' sunscreens, attractive though it may be to those who market them, is not based on any significant difference. Both varieties have the potential to produce reactive species that can attack biological materials (human skin cells) when they are exposed to normal sunlight... What is established is that particles of titanium dioxide as large as 220 nm can enter human cells in culture, and so it seems entirely plausible that if titanium dioxide does pass through skin it could enter cells under the skin (carrying with it the absorbed UVA and UVB radiation and hydroxyl radicals)."

Titanium dioxide is now being used as a new treatment for window glass because it attacks and degrades anything that touches it, thereby helping to keep windows clean. You probably don't want to have anything attacking your skin!

Small amounts of sun are healthy. Adults and children should remain indoors (at work and school or play) during the hottest part of the day, and when they venture out they should be sure to cover themselves properly. Schedule gardening, errands, play, etc., for early morning or evening hours. Our recommendation for protection: Loose-fitting clothing, shady trees and big floppy hats. Organic cotton is a good way to go!

END OF QUOTE

:'(

just goes to show you should never read the small print and/or believe everything you read - especially if said by experts >:-)

side effects as quoted on travel sicky pills - include nausea and upset stomach and giddiness

B-)

Archived