the motorhome passenger

handyman

amazing stuff this........

you are reversing a 30-40K motorhome, and the passenger is in the passenger seat peering out the window, instead of getting out and looking.

driver. "I'll reverse into that space, i should be able to thread this 40K van in there."

lazy passenger. "yes dear, i'll sit on this nice seat and tell you to stop when i hear some crunching of metal"

I am most fortunate inasmuch as Cherry will always position herself either in or out of the m'home, whichever is the best position, to help me reverse if required. However, as our m'home is only 5:95 meters in lenght we do not normally have to have a 'guide' when reversing.

Regards, Mike & Cherry

When we were at the Malvern show and nicely pitched up another motorhome arrived, the wife got out and told the husband what to do, he did the opposite ... yelled comment from the wife for all to hear (very appropriately!)

"You're cak-handed!" :$

Come on! Come On! Faster! Faster! Come on!........Now look what you've done.

My experience is that when I'm driving fast, and something happens, my foot is instantly on the brake. But when driving very slowly, usually in reverse, I tend to look around to see what is causing that funny noise. 8-)

The one I like (especially abroad) is where you have wall-to-wall impatient rush-hour traffic, and a choice of several very adjacent exits from a junction or roundabout.

Suddenly, over to the left, there appears a furiously waving hand and the frantic cry, "Up there --- quick!!"

When in Europe and I signal to turn left to pull out and overtake my passenger ALWAYS leans forward to look in the mirror and blocks my view.

Or

Holds up a magazine that blocks my view

I usually am the passenger and if my husband listens to me we never get lost, however, he sometimes thinks he knows best .... oh dear, wrong way again! He even argues with the sat nav!

Anyway, to the point, when I had to drive us back from France in May (sunburn and all that, won't bore you all again!), he was trying to do a bit of navigating to 'help' me, he was totally hopeless, couldn't read the map properly and telling me to turn right instead of left and vice versa. He often gets his right and left mixed up - summut to do with being left handed I think, but unfortunately it's not consistent so he can be correct one time, then the next it's the opposite of what he tells me ... it would've made life much simpler if he just got it wrong all the time then I'd know to do the opposite all the time! In the end I had to tell him to stop trying to be helpful and to shut up (at one point banned him from sitting in the front seat) and leaving me and the sat nav to our own devices - no problems at all from then on! (lol)

Mel B - 2007-08-22 6:57 PM

I usually am the passenger and if my husband listens to me we never get lost, however, he sometimes thinks he knows best .... oh dear, wrong way again! He even argues with the sat nav!

Anyway, to the point, when I had to drive us back from France in May (sunburn and all that, won't bore you all again!), he was trying to do a bit of navigating to 'help' me, he was totally hopeless, couldn't read the map properly and telling me to turn right instead of left and vice versa. He often gets his right and left mixed up - summut to do with being left handed I think, but unfortunately it's not consistent so he can be correct one time, then the next it's the opposite of what he tells me ... it would've made life much simpler if he just got it wrong all the time then I'd know to do the opposite all the time! In the end I had to tell him to stop trying to be helpful and to shut up (at one point banned him from sitting in the front seat) and leaving me and the sat nav to our own devices - no problems at all from then on! (lol)

It has nothing to do with being left handed Mel. I'm left handed and don't have a problem. A friend of mine many years ago (right handed by the way) always got left and right mixed up but we found a solution for him navigating, he said peas for left and carrots for right, as long as the driver (usually me) could remember this all was well. Strange world innit?

D.

Archived