the starers

handyman

since starting motorhoming i have noticed a new race of people called ' the starers'.

They appear to lurk in plastic/compressed foam pods, and stare through clear plastic at your every move. Normally this staring is accompanied by a vacant expression in their faces and a slightly open mouth.

Very odd

Goodmorning Handyman, on the canal narrow boats we call them Gongoozlers, they are waiting for you to make a mistake and cock-up your manoeuvre, but I like to think they are watching me to see how it should be done properly!!! so show-off a bit and it may make you feel better about these odd folk! My Wife hates starers.

This is not a new phenomenon.

Nearly 40 years ago (see the avatar!) in Southern Italy for example, it was commonplace for the locals to re-arrange their chairs in a big semi-circle so they could watch new arrivals struggling to erect their tents in the sweltering heat. They obviously considered it a spectator sport, and since there were so few English tourists we attracted more than our fair share of attention - though the Memsahib still claims it's because she was even better looking in those days!

But this is what I love about motorhoming - people watching.

I usually adopt the dark glasses so as not to be too obvious when I'm outside, and am considering putting up net curtains for when I'm inside.

Let's face it - it is a spectator sport, and speaking as one who can reverse into the awkwardest of spaces perfectly everytime, hook-up and have a cup of tea made within ten minutes of arriving on site, I usually command a round of applause from other campers. (lol)

Couldn't agree more Janine.

I think you need a bit of practice with the teapot though. 10 minutes usually sees me on my second cup - AND I sometimes have to have two attempts at the reversing (I blame the varifocals). No prejudice toward caravanners since I was one until recently, but motorhomes have got the edge haven't they!

Our last home converted camper had silver tinted windows in the rear that were perfect for people watching 'cos nobody could see in. On more than one occasion though we surprised people who came right up to the windows to try and see inside not realising we were "at home". you should see the expressions when you deftly snap the sliding window open and confront them! >:-)

Our favourite pastime on campsites is watching the new arrivals with caravans putting up the awning, I could waste a whole day on a busy site like that.

D.

Last year I was on a very empty site when a rally of ex-army types turned up.

The site filled up quickly with caravans and motorhomes arriving all day.

One of them backed in beside me at some speed, but very accurately first time.

I commented to someone that the manouvre was a bit dangerous and he just turned to me and said " Tank corps - they all drive like that"

Everyone is France stares especially when a women drives it maybe the French the Germans The Dutch I have only to pull up sling it into reverse and hey presto I have an audiance :D Hubby gets a look as if to say you need to keep that women in check.....I just love it :D

michele - 2007-08-18 11:54 AM

Everyone is France stares especially when a women drives it maybe the French the Germans The Dutch I have only to pull up sling it into reverse and hey presto I have an audiance :D Hubby gets a look as if to say you need to keep that women in check.....I just love it :D

Yes Michele we have the same with us as I drive as well, but the best used to be when I used to arive at horse shows in a 7.5 ton horse box with no husband and just my daughter with me men used to take one look and start to wave there arms about all over the place , then stand with there mouths wide open well I would manage to park probably as well or better then they could them selves,very entertaining :-D (lol) Polly (Mrs Mike H)

Yep agree never ever forget on the buses in Bank London had another driver that used to fancy me we were young then anyway Bank was having work done scaffolding both sides of the stock exchange and all that . The guy who fancied me aimed his double decker for mine I sat there laughing as he totally had me stuck up against the scaffolding obviously I had to watch the top deck ...All of a sudden the Stock Exchange emptied out about turned looked at me and started to say this way love over here little bit more come on luv .........make you laugh the lad who fancied me just sat laughing as he had caused it funny how they always look at the women as if its their fault *-)

the male species and its courting rituals at its best :D

michele - 2007-08-18 7:48 PM

Yep agree never ever forget on the buses in Bank London had another driver that used to fancy me we were young then anyway Bank was having work done scaffolding both sides of the stock exchange and all that . The guy who fancied me aimed his double decker for mine I sat there laughing as he totally had me stuck up against the scaffolding obviously I had to watch the top deck ...All of a sudden the Stock Exchange emptied out about turned looked at me and started to say this way love over here little bit more come on luv .........make you laugh the lad who fancied me just sat laughing as he had caused it funny how they always look at the women as if its their fault *-)

the male species and its courting rituals at its best :D

i have know idea what this means 8-)

There's nowt funnier than caravanners trying to put up an awning for the first time, especially if they think it's going to rain and try to rush it. (lol)

Sorry, I know I shouldn't mock, but it is soooooo entertaining ... now be honest, who hasn't watched or spied on others at some point, anyone who says they haven't is telling porkies. :-> :D

Hi,

One of my ladies (mid 30s?) at DVLC told me how she had been sleeping in her caravan when she heard hubby arrive back from a fishing trip. So she knelt up and drew the curtains....to be confronted by hubby's friend standing outside with a dropped jaw, staring. Car headlights were still on and shining through the window. Did I mention she slept in the raw?

The following day, hubby's friend said that what really stopped him was that she had spent the day sunbathing in a bikini top.

This was the same lady who returned from lunch, took her coat off and hung it on the rack, took her jacket off and hung it on the back of her chair, took her blouse off....looked round the office, and put it back on again. Happy days!

A good few years back some friends of ours told us about a little incident in South Wales. They'd stayed overnight on a seafront in their T3 camper and he got up in the morning to walk the two dogs. As he was heading back to the van he saw an elderly gentleman stood on the footpath and staring transfixed toward the rear of their van. As he got closer he saw what had got the elderly gentleman's attention. His partner, who was a very attractive and physically fit lady was squatting on the rear deck clearing the condensation off the back window, in the altogether 8-) , legs akimbo 8-) 8-) and completely oblivious to the outside world!

D.

Being on site certainly seems to loosen inhibitions, with the usual procession for the early morning shower confirming this. Various states of undress, with not a lot left to the imagination sometimes, and a complete disregard to what others may think is the norm, but all part of the entertainment.

years ago we were in the caravan at the Forestry Commission Site (as is was then) at Beddgelert.

We were sat outside and watched a couple trying to light a charcoal bbq, it was hilarious, they had the wine out too, and the bbq would not light and they got more and more inebriated and when it eventually lit, their antics with the food were just as good as they were in no fit condition to cook. :D

In June this year we watched an elderly German Couple trying to erect an awning on their caravan in Luxembourg - and in the end we just could not sit there any longer and went to their help - with our limited (nearly non existent german) and the Frau's limited english we got it up. They were really grateful, and came over the following morning as we were leaving to shake our hands and saying danke danke. Nice to be appreciated.

Carol

Archived