touring holland

pagey

Holland is a very nice place to visit. Roads are good and well signposted and diesel is one of the cheapest in europe. Plenty of campsites and cycle tracks. Roadside bistros/restaurants have a good choice of decent properly cooked food. One particular item which can be found just about anywhere is a warm sausage roll with well cooked pastry, may also come curry flavoured.

Public transport is good and modestly priced and the staff usually speak english and do offer assistance whether you need it or not.

Having said that you have to be aware that although the dutch love a bargain, free is better, just about everything is priced. As an example - we use the ACSI Camping Card which is dutch in origin and although the card says site 'A' costs 14 euro per night for pitch, electric, showers the usual arrangement at the site is to charge 12 euros because the showers only work by inserting a coin. This has also happened at the odd site elsewhere but in Holland it seems standard. Most of the camping card sites elsewhere do include the showers and no coin is necessary.

The dutch also seem to charge for parking at visitor attractions, eg Het Loo costs 3 euros for the parking and you have to get a token to exit, whether or not you actually decide to enter the attraction.

From this you can gather that aires are a rarity, personally I don't know of any.

;-)

There are some aires in Holland. They can be outside campsites, where you can overnight for from 5 or 6 o'clock until next morning 9 or 10, for 5 Euros or so, or they can be at the back of a hotel/restaurant or on the carpark of some caravan/motorhome dealers.

There are a couple of websites I know of: http://www.campersite.nl and http://www.campercontact.nl. Unfortunately both are only in Dutch, but the last one is pretty straightforward, on the homepage you get a list of countries, so click on Nederland, then you get a map of the country, where you then click on the province you want. You then get a map with towns/villages, which you can click on to get the info. Some of them have reviews by people who have stayed on them, so that is quite useful. Of course, that is all in Dutch. But as I am Dutch myself, if you have a particular destination in mind, I could look it up for you and let you know what it says.

I am off for 3 days tomorrow until Thursday though and then again from the 29th of August for nearly 6 weeks so during that time response will be very slow!!

Ina.

Archived