tunnel

carioca

It's a first for us this year on the tunnel so I don't know, (or care for that matter), how they price their fares, i.e. better times/worse times to book, but..

We booked in Nov for late July, (one way), 5.5m x 2.8m, £72, so your £149 seems fine to me.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2008-06-11 5:44 PM

It's a first for us this year on the tunnel so I don't know, (or care for that matter), how they price their fares, i.e. better times/worse times to book, but..

We booked in Nov for late July, (one way), 5.5m x 2.8m, £72, so your £149 seems fine to me.

Martyn

i thought it was ok late afternoon out morning return, ferry was about £10 cheaper but takes about a hour longer plus train seems more flexible

Never done the Chunnel in the van, but did it probably a couple of hundred times over 4+ years up to 2002 (I used to be a Director in an international aerospace group with HQ in Paris, so was over there at least every two or three weeks).

It worked out cheaper to drive over rather than fly, especially as you used to get "tunnel miles" so about one trip in 12 was free.

It was also a lot quicker to drive there, go through, and then drive on down to Paris, than to drive up Birmingham airport, wait for the plane, fly over, then have to get a taxi around Paris to HQ.

I always found it absolutely excellent.

Very easy, fast, delay-free, and flexible (many times I got there early/late and they just put you onto the first/next available train).

Also been through it maybe 20 times on motorbike tours over the years, and again the service and ease, and speed, were great.

You can save maybe 3 or 4 hours in total compared to taking a ferry over.

And I don't think they've ever had trains cancelled because of bad weather in the Channel, or French fisherman blockading ports.... :-D

Archived