You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Hints and Tips
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
2008 avantgarde water pump.
AuthorMessage
userathiest
Posted: 4 October 2015 4:19 PM
Subject: 2008 avantgarde water pump.

Keeps coming back for more

Hi all, I have the 2008 Compass Avantgarde 145. The toilet flush pump failed on our last trip & I have replaced this. I think that I also need to replace the main water pump for shower/wash basin & kitchen basin as this is the same age. Can any one tell me where this pump is & give me any tips on replacing this please? Cheers "A"
userTracker
Posted: 4 October 2015 4:27 PM
Subject: RE: 2008 avantgarde water pump.

Best advice - if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Flush pump body and/or impeller can block with algae especially if you use Aquakem Pink fluid in the flush and with a little ingenuity you can clear this and the pump might well start working again.

Main water pumps rarely give trouble but disturbing it without good cause can create more issues than it solves with the risk of air or water leaks on refitting.

With a tap open listen for the sound of the pump ticking when operating.

If it is not a submersible pump in the tank, it will be under a locker or at the back of a cupboard somewhere and should be easy enough to locate.

Getting at it to work on it or replace it might, depending on it's location, be another story!

Edited by Tracker 2015-10-04 4:35 PM
userathiest
Posted: 4 October 2015 4:47 PM

Hi Tracker, I have replaced the toilet flush pump but not fitted it into the tank yet. At this time the main pump is working alright but being of the same age I do not want it too let me down while on our next trip which will not be until next April. The MH is now covered for the winter & I am doing preventive maintenance on anything that I feel may go wrong on a van that is not used for the winter. I just like the experts on this site like yourself (not the first time that you have given me directions) to assist me. I have already found a Post to another Compass Van water pump problem but was hoping that some one would have already changed one on my model. "A"
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 5 October 2015 8:13 AM

These previous forum discussions suggest that your Avantgarde’s water pump may be the submersible type and (as Tracker has said) consequently in the motorhome’s fresh-water tank.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Noisy-wElddis-water-pumps/37198/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Noisy-water-pump-in-2004-Compass-Avantgarde/19444/

Pressure-sensitive water pumps are normally relatively loud when running, producing a distinctive rhythmic ‘hammering’ sound that’s hard to overlook, whereas submersible pumps - because they work differently and are submerged in water - tend to be fairly quiet. As you haven’t been able to identify where your Avantgarde’s pump is ‘by ear’, it’s likely that your pump is in the water tank and, if that’s the case, quite likely a Whale-made pump.

Wires leading from the underside of water taps indicate that the taps have micro-switches. Although the presence of tap microswitches (or the lack of them) isn’t 100% proof of the type of water pump used, if your taps have micro-switches this is good clue that your motohome’s pump is the submersible type.

I tend to agree with Tracker that replacing the water pump just because it’s 2008-vintage is a questionable plan. But it would certainly be worth you establishing where the pump is (and its type and make/model) and what’s involved in replacing it.

Provided that access is straightforward (usually through a large screw-in service ‘hatch’ in the water tank’s upper surface) replacing a submersible pump should present little difficulty. Submersible pumps aren’t that expensive, so you might consider buying a replacement but not fitting it until you need to. That way you’d pretty much ensure that your original pump would never fail!!
userTracker
Posted: 5 October 2015 8:50 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2015-10-05 8:13 AM
Provided that access is straightforward (usually through a large screw-in service ‘hatch’ in the water tank’s upper surface) replacing a submersible pump should present little difficulty. Submersible pumps aren’t that expensive, so you might consider buying a replacement but not fitting it until you need to. That way you’d pretty much ensure that your original pump would never fail!!

Absolutely Derek!
Access to the pump itself inside the tank is easy, access to the top of the tank will be far from easy if it is an underslung exterior tank as it means disconnecting, draning and dropping the tank.
However whilst there, if you do it, try to make sure the pump has enough hose to reach the bottom of the tank as some are left danging well clear of the bottom of the tank thus very effectively reducing the tank's usable capacity.
If I were doing the job I would also take the opportunity to extend the tank overflow to well above the top of the tank to both ensure the tank fills fully and to reduce water loss from a full tank when on the move.
userSteve928
Posted: 5 October 2015 9:17 AM

Epic contributor

If the water system in your 2008 Avantgarde is the same as that in our old 2008 Elddis 140 here are a few pointers.

- The pump was a Reich Twin submersible of which there are 2 versions available, one with a non-return valve and one without. Ours was the one without which was quite hard to find at the time that I needed one. As in this link here: http://www.obelink.co.uk/car-caravan-accessories/water/reich-dompelpomp-twin-19l.html

- Keep the filter gauze from the bottom of the old pump - it needs to be transferred to the new one.

- The tank needs to be dropped as there is no access through the floor. One fill connection (28mm hose), one supply connection (12mm Pushfit) and 2 wiring connections for the pump and the level sender unit. The only hard part on ours was getting the 28mm hose off and back on and sealed as it was a bit of a bodge and had been crushed to make a sharp 90 degree turn. I chose to replace it with a formed 90 degree silicone hose elbow from Ebay which made the job much easier.

The access under the back of the 140/5 is so good that it's quite an easy job and the tank once empty is very light but, as the others have said, personally I wouldn't bother unless the pump is faulty - just buy a spares pump for your spares kit.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Capture.JPG (76KB - 359 downloads)
userathiest
Posted: 5 October 2015 1:25 PM

Hi, Derek, Tracker & Steve , Thanks for the reply's. I can at least find out where it is, even though it may just be a case of following the pipe work & wiring. I still think that asking on this site about replacing items that may be easy but may have hidden things to go wrong is the first port of call. In my 6 years of ownership you lot have never let me down. Thanks again to you all. I still intend to replace the pump before the new season starts. (belt & bracers) "A"
userTracker
Posted: 5 October 2015 1:43 PM

Good luck with that then!

Having never had a pump fail in over 50 years we take a different view and we carry two x 2 litre cola bottles filled with fresh water just in case the pump fails, or much more likely, the battery fails or runs out of charge enough to run the pump - and that has happened!

We also carry jump leads so that if either battery fails or lacks charge we can start the engine or even provide enough power from the engine to run the pump to fill the kettle!

Belt and braces!!

Edited by Tracker 2015-10-05 1:43 PM
userathiest
Posted: 5 October 2015 2:11 PM

Hi Tracker, as you say "no right or wrong way, just different" I too carry Birmingham water, 25 litres every time that we go away in a separate container,the Wife is always upset on any other. A filter jug as well, just in case. Jump leads made from fork lift truck cables, A small compressor, Code reader, Spare quick release battery connections, A second 125aph leisure battery not normally connected while running & numerous tools, different lengths of RG6 cable for the tele along with a Varity of connectors & fuses, AAA AA & 9 volt batteries. Also a 300watt inverter. These have helped me to be of assistance to other members of our fraternity during the last six years while on different sites. I do like doing my own maintenance on my vehicles. May be over the top carrying this much but I do like to know that I can get away with most things that happen to try and spoil my breaks. "A"

Edited by athiest 2015-10-05 2:20 PM
userTracker
Posted: 5 October 2015 2:25 PM

Ah, a man after my own heart!
You can never have too many tools and spares and as we all know the tighter we pack things the less thaey can rattle!
userathiest
Posted: 5 October 2015 2:41 PM

AMEN
userpepe63
Posted: 5 October 2015 2:48 PM

I could perhaps see the reasoning behind swapping a working pump, "just in case", if it was an inline pump that was maybe sitting under a cupboard base...but I don't think I'd voluntarily start dropping the tank,..not unless I really had to.....

If you do get stuck into it, I wonder if there is any merit in swapping the pump for an on-board one?(that's if it's possible?)
..at least then any future "just in case" dabblings would be easier to deal with...?

Edited by pepe63 2015-10-05 2:49 PM
userathiest
Posted: 5 October 2015 5:52 PM

Hi pepe, I would rather change the pump at a time of my choosing while the van is not being used than carrying the new pump as a spare to try and change on a site where I would not have access to all the tools that I may need. The old pump after a good wash through would then become the spare. To try and change it for a suitable pump fitted outside of the tank may just be a good idea & will certainly be looked into. I will picture the replacement as I do it & post the results on here. "A"
userTracker
Posted: 5 October 2015 6:53 PM

There is of course no guarantee that a new pump and existing pipework will prove to be any more, or less, reliable than a well proven and settled pump that is not showing any sign of giving you any grief!

Edited by Tracker 2015-10-05 6:53 PM
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator