A 'How To' Guide on Downloading POIs for SatNav

Way2Go

I've written a 'How-To' guide for all those people new to SatNav systems (TomTom, Garmin, Navman etc) who are struggling a bit in finding POI (Points of Interest) and how to get them on to their SatNav systems.

The document is in a PDF format so you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open it.  It is approx 424 MB in size because it contains several screen dumps to illustrate how to carry out the procedures.

I am happy to host the download from my own web site so please click on the hyperlink to download the document. 

http://www.nodarkroom.co.uk/downloads/downloading_poi_guide.pdf

Once downloaded please save it to your PC.  It's probably best if you print it off when setting up your downloads.

I'm no SatNav expect but have spent a long time finding out the information I am now sharing with you.  No point in you going through the same learning process.

I will be happy to answer any queries that arise from your experimentation ;-)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

B-) Thank you very much for your time and effort,it is very much appreciated. I had downloaded (so i thought) some POI's to my 'new' tomtom one V2,i could see the icons for tesco etc., but no way could i access them.

Now i know why,i hadn't put them into the 'Map file'. Hmmm silly me !

After all i was a Hardware engineer,we ALWAYS blamed the software guys. (they always blamed us !) when we both actually had a GOOD look we usually found the problem.(if not we called support !) thanks again ! (lol)

Hi, Many thanks Way2Go for the POI guide. I am sorry my previous posting generated such a heated argument. Your helpful website lists were the sort of thing I was looking for, and your latest guide is much appreciated. Very much the "spirit of a helpful contribution to us new-boys (and Gals) on the forum"!

Best wishes, David

• 2 weeks later...

I have found this guide to be very useful although I am still struggling a bit to bottom it (Way2Go) I have sent you a PM.

In the meantime I have successfully downloaded the 'French aires' etc from campingcars-infos.com and I thought it might be useful to give the method. I am using TomTom Go700.

First of all create a new folder on your PC and call it TomTom POI's.

Having sourced the web site - CCinfos - click on 'cliquez pour entrer' and then on the left side column you will see 'synchronisation coordonnees GPS'. Click on it and scroll the resulting page to find 'Fichier Zip' in green print. Click on TomTom 'Fichiers pour TT (.ov2)' and when file download prompts, click 'save' and save it to your readily available folder.

Go to the folder and locate the 'zipped' file = 'Aires-CCinfos-TomTom'. Open this file. Under 'folder tasks' on left side, click on 'extract files'. This produces 'extraction wizard' with file option to save to (TT POI's as above). Click 'next' and then 'finish'.

Return to your TT POI's folder where you will now find a 'new folder' containing the 'unzipped' files which you require for transfer to TT.

Open this folder, reduce it and move to one side of your screen (A).

Connect TT to your PC. Now go to 'my computer' - locate TT icon and click on the icon. On the resulting page, open the folder 'Western Europe Map' (or whatever). Reduce the size. You now have two reduced pages on your screen.

Go back to the donor page (A) and click on 'edit' then 'select all'.

Nearly there - drag the selection onto the map page and the job is done.

After disonnecting TT from the PC, leave it for a few minutes to enable the download to 'sort itself' before switching off.

I have laid this out as an idiots guide, which is what I needed to be successful. My initial problems lay in 1. not unzipping the orginal files, and 2. not dragging to the proper place.

I hope this will be of help to those who are not sure how it can be done.

Roy.

Great, thanks Roy (I've replied to your PM by the way).

To get a 'clickable' link you'll need the full web site address as opposed to typing it.

You can either type www.thisisatest.com or go to the web site address line and copy and paste the link into your message here.

BTW, to make the link really stand out it would be nice to have it in bold so it jumps off the page (ie www.thisisatest.com).  All you need to do with that is type in the web site address then shade it followed by selecting the (B)old button above.

So, the web site you want us to go to should be www.campingcars-infos.com  

. . . . . hmmmm even with a popup stopper there's a nice picture of a scantily-clad young woman that also pops up.  I'll try out the rest of it later . . . .bit busy with the popup at the moment ;-) ;-)

So very sorry Barry - the web site I referred to is in fact:

www.campingcar-infos.com

- there is no s at the end of campingcar.

Strangely enough the 's' on the end gives a completely different web site which I haven't seen before and which I shall explore when time permits.

Thanks for your mail - bit pushed just now but I will get back to you asap.

Regards,

Roy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Can anyone tell me how to copy and paste a website address, or any thing else, when in an email? I know how to do it when I am word processing. My brother is always sending me links and I can't work out how to copy and past them to the browser!!

Pat

If I understand your question Pat, you should be able to just click on the hyperlink in the email and it should launch your browser and take you to that particular page.You should also be able to copy and paste the hyperlink into the address line of your browser.Get back to me and let me know how you get on.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have just printed off your Guide to.... and wonder if it works on TomTom One Europe. Frank sent me files for the Aires but I have been unable to put them on tomtom. Even got no1 Son to help but he couldnt. He said there was no place to download maps ????on our tomtom site. Tomtom one unlike tomtom 700 does not have a built in harddrive and we have to keep a card in it?????

Help

It works with all TomTom devices. The POIs are installed in the map folder on your SD card.The map name will vary depending on your installed map.Read the instructions carefully and it should become clear.I hope this helps.W2G

Randonneur - 2007-05-25 8:54 PM

Hello Way2go,

do you by any chance know if there are any other voices for my Mio 268+, I have just upgraded to MioMap v3.2 but there is only a male voice on, very boring.

Just to let you have an update. I have found this site http://rapidshare.com/users/HQCS3N

the password is sole_mio

I have managed to download voices from this.

Sylvia

Hi,

Sorry for the delay but we've just got back from a long weekend away.

I hope the voices will be OK for you.

Brian, you can't beat a good navigator when they know where you're going but in foreign place, on unfamiliar roads, it's nice to have an 'expert' sat on the dash ;-)

W2G

Way2Go,

Please can you if poss explain how to get Low Bridge warnings added to our Tomtom 910.

Need to get this done before we leave for France in August, had a horrendous experience last year in Rouen.

Hubby and i are not to clever at this downloading business, but can get my son to understand it.

carebear - 2007-05-30 9:45 PM

Way2Go,

Please can you if poss explain how to get Low Bridge warnings added to our Tomtom 910.

Need to get this done before we leave for France in August, had a horrendous experience last year in Rouen.

Hubby and i are not to clever at this downloading business, but can get my son to understand it.

I don't know if this will help, but we have our satnav set up as a "Lorry" and as yet has not taken us on any road that has a low bridge. I don't know if this is the norm or not. On the new mapping software we have recently bought there is a facility for putting in emergency vehicles but I think we will still stick as a lorry, at least if a lorry can get through we should be able to, well, that is our reasoning.

• 2 months later...
Just downloaded aires via instructions succesfully thankyou. Another que stion bought new book in France for downloading aires via Gps coordinates example gps 48 06 59 N 05 09 04 E , my problem is got TT 700 but GPS icon is not highlighted on menu, does anyone know why and if so how do i put in GPS coordinates as there is no other info but name of aire. This book has new aires that the other one hasn't. Les aires de camping-cars 2008 and stresses on front cover avec les coordinates GPS only 7 euros too. :-(