A Tale of Two Lights

crob

Once upon a time our campervan had two ceiling lights with 10” long U-shaped fluorescent tubes, both of which stopped working within a few weeks of each other. In one of them a small part had fallen down onto the light cover. So, as I happened to be passing the dealer, I called in so they could tell me what the problem was. “Ah, it’s the power transistor that’s failed”, they said. “What”, I said, “in both of them?” “Well, certainly in one of them”! So I asked how much to get a new part. “Oh, we can’t supply a new part, but we can fit a complete new light”. “How much?”, I asked. After they picked me up off the floor I gathered that I had heard correctly - £100 for the light plus £35 for fitting. Even in my stunned state, I worked that out at £270. So I mumbled something about getting it done cheaper and drove away.

Back at home, I took the lights to our local electronic shop and asked him which part of the lighting control unit was the power transistor. He pointed out a part about the size of my small fingernail. He didn’t have them, but he told me the part number and suggested I look on the internet. I quite quickly traced some at FarnellinOne in Leeds, and ordered two for £2.49 each. Unfortunately, they didn’t do the trick. Next stop was the manufacturer of the light, Pfeifer und Siebel GmbH in Germany. After a couple of e-mails and a photograph, they confirmed that they could supply two replacement control units, or inverters as they called them, for just under £40, including postage. A few days later, the two units arrived, complete with wiring diagram, and, hey presto, I now have two working lights again.

The moral of the story? A bit of internet research and DIY can save a small (or large?) fortune on our beloved motorhomes.

(lol)

• 1 month later...

Archived