Advice on generator.

cookie

I assume that if we use a generator it has to be used outside, both to keep the elf and safety man happy, and to keep us alive. If my assumption is correct are there any options, ie venting a side cabinet. I have looked at the spec. for onboard generators and they seem to be a lot noisier than suitcase ones. Any help would be appreciated.

I think a lot will depend on the spec of the generator you have. Some can be used in a cabinet if ventilation is provided and ehausted to the putside. However many generators are a bit messy with leaks from the exhaust flanges and this can result in fuel/oil collecting on exterior of generator and floor below. Bear in mind petrol as a very strong an lingering smell and is also very volatile and potentially explosive.

Also leaks from the carburettor end. I would not recommend fitting in an integral cabinet of the van unless specified for such use.

Many generator users will position it well away from the van, area with a separate vented box over the top. Well away both for noise and safety to both you and other users of the area, but be warned you do not make friends, when using a generator, with others who can hear it.

Jon.

Archived