Air compressor

Caddies104

Hi all

Have been looking at buying an air comoressor, seen the ones that plug into the cig lighter, but lead is only 3 to 4 metres long, which would not reach the rear tyres... Am I missing something ? or do I gave to buy the portable ones and charge it up ?? OR the all in one battery charger and comoressor...

Any recommendations please ......

This earlier thread on tyre-inflators (some of the links may be out of date) seems to cover most of the points you've raised:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Tyre-infators/31095/

As I mentioned in the thread, running the more powerful 12V pumps from a dashboard socket may prove tricky. I have a Ring RAC-700 12V electric pump that should (and used to) run from my Transit's 20A dashboard socket, but nowadays it blows the fuse. It still runs OK, though, when crocodile-clipped directly to the battery.

If my Ring pump dies, I'd replace it with a T-Max Adventurer pump as shown here

http://www.difflock.com/accessories/compressors/portableaircompressor.html

but, with a 30A supply requirement, the T-Max pump would very definitely need direct battery-connection.

If it's any help, I have just bought, but have yet to use a Ring RAC900. After much research, this heavy duty compressor should do the job on the tyres, and I will connect it directly to the habitation battery, using an in line fuse, and an in line plug and socket from Maplin. Other cigarette lighter powered compressors seem to have problems, not least the time taken to inflate a tyre! The ring unit is not too large, and comes with a long lead, flexible hose, and a 3 year guarantee, cant be bad.!

flyboyprowler - 2014-01-05 9:08 AM

...The ring unit is not too large, and comes with a long lead, flexible hose, and a 3 year guarantee, cant be bad.!

Are you sure about the 3 year guarantee?

My understanding is that a Ring RAC900 has a 12-months guarantee as standard, plus an additional 12-months if the product is registered with Ring Automotive (UK) - a 2-years guarantee in total.

Thanks Derek for all that reading, now I am confused!!

Think I would like to go for a 240v supply as most times the van is at home on EHU or on a pitch with EHU..a lot of the replies were about getting up to 65/70 psi but we would need 80psi (5.5bar) on the AutoTrail, not sure how efficient 12v would be getting up to that pressure...

I have a track pump but was ok at around 60/65 psi but then struggled, albeit it was not a Joe blow track pump

Perhaps a 12/240v compressor would also suit the bill....

Derek Uzzell - 2014-01-05 10:24 AM

...The ring unit is not too large, and comes with a long lead, flexible hose, and a 3 year guarantee, cant be bad.!

Are you sure about the 3 year guarantee?

My understanding is that a Ring RAC900 has a 12-months guarantee as standard, plus an additional 12-months if the product is registered with Ring Automotive (UK) - a 2-years guarantee in total.[/quote

Whoops, yes your right. Misread the wording, and it is two years, as you say.

The Ring RAC compressor has a max pressure of 100psi which means it will possibly struggle to reach the pressure you require in a reasonable time.  This one might be a better bet for you and is cheaper.......much cheaper as it has been reduced in price.

http://dynamic.focalprice.com/ERZ84B/Car_DC12V_150PSI_Metal_Air_Compressor_Kit_EMS_Shipping_Black.html?Currency=GBP

RogerC

Your link doesn't seem to work, so I've repeated it below

http://dynamic.focalprice.com/ERZ84B/Car_DC12V_150PSI_Metal_Air_Compressor_Kit_EMS_Shipping_Black.html?Currency=GBP

The 'on paper' specification of a 12V tyre pump doesn't necessarily translate into real-world performance or (more importantly) reliability.

This £5.99 12V pump is advertised as having a 250psi capability

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MINI-COMPACT-COMPRESSOR-BIKE-INFLATOR/dp/B008DFDQZA

but one would need to be very optimistic to believe it would be suitable for inflating a motorhome tyre to 80psi.

I work on the basis of a 12V pump's weight, amperage, flow-rate and tests/reviews - the heavier the pump, the higher the amperage and flow-rate, and the fewer negative test/review comments, the more I'll be attracted to it. And, of course, let's not overlook the price...

I can't find any reviews of the USA-advertised pump you mention, but its labelled 25A amperage and 45 litres/minute flow-rate look promising. Much the same pump is shown here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Compressor-Double-Accessories-Storage/dp/B00725BLZY

though its label shows a slightly lower amperage and a much higher flow-rate (85 l/min). At least, if one bought from Amazon, it would be easy to return the pump if it failed (as one reviewer's did).

The Ring RAC900 gets generally good reviews and - despite its quoted 100psi maximum - I don't envisage it having difficulty adding fairly rapidly, say, 20psi to a motorhome tyre's pressure at the top end (eg. 60psi to 80psi). But none of these relatively inexpensive 12V inflators is designed for really heavy-duty regular tyre-inflation.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'd opt for the T-Max pump at a sub-£60 price rather than an RAC900. I'm not greatly enamoured by the build-quality of my RAC700 pump and this would deter me from buying another Ring-branded pump.

Thanks for re posting the link Derek..for some reason I couldn't get it to attach as a 'clicky' link.

I'd just like to add I bought the Halfords Powerpack 200 which clearly states it will inflate to 250psi.  Well it did inflate to 60 psi OK (never had cause to go any higher)...'for a while'.  I say 'for a while' because after 12 months or so I was trying to inflate a tyre on my previous Iveco based race MH.  It was taking an age and getting nowhere so being a bloke I took it to bits to find a moulding core on the 'tiny tiny' compressor had blown.  I got a warranty replacement from Ring no problem but ...yes you guessed it after a similar period exactly the same thing happened.  That prompted me to buy a 'proper' compressor.

The problem with these 'power pack' types of compressors appears to be that, despite the capability to inflate to high pressures, if they run for too long (the piston in the compressor is the size of a thimble) they overheat and this causes the cylinder to fail.  So for a quick top up they are OK but for anything more I would stay well away from them.

RogerC - 2014-01-06 10:47 AM

Thanks for re posting the link Derek..for some reason I couldn't get it to attach as a 'clicky' link...

The reason you had a problem with the link is due to you having the "Use rich edit box when composing messages?" option in your Profile set to YES

This will embed 'codes' into your posting's text and, if a code immediately precedes the start of the character-string comprising the link, it will cause the string to become unrecognisable as a link.

If you go to your first posting and click on the QUOTE button, you should see the codes before the link. If you then click on PREVIEW, you'll see that the link is invalid.

If you repeat the process, but this time insert a space before the "h" of "http", when you PREVIEW the posting again you should find the link is OK.

Derek

In one if your earlier posts, you gave us the instructional manual, see below. One of the instructions of when NOT to use the air Compressor was.................

When the Vehicle is moving!!!

Now that would be good to watch, could just imagine someone running along trying to fit it on the valve.LOL

http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/p47111374.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

If it's any help, I have just bought, but have yet to use a Ring RAC900. After much research, this heavy duty compressor should do the job on the tyres, and I will connect it directly to the habitation battery, using an in line fuse, and an in line plug and socket from Maplin. Other cigarette lighter powered compressors seem to have problems, not least the time taken to inflate a tyre! The ring unit is not too large, and comes with a long lead, flexible hose, and a 3 year guarantee, cant be bad.!

Ainsley

Have you tried it out yet, as like the look of this one.. Anyone know of a way to use it off a 240v supply as well as off the battery... i.e. Have the means of plugging into the mains with a convertor/connection to clip on the crocodiles, so it can be used off both supplies...12v on the road, and 240v at home....

Caddies104 - 2014-01-22 5:36 PM

Ainsley

Have you tried it out yet, as like the look of this one.. Anyone know of a way to use it off a 240v supply as well as off the battery... i.e. Have the means of plugging into the mains with a convertor/connection to clip on the crocodiles, so it can be used off both supplies...12v on the road, and 240v at home....

Sorry, but been a bit slow of the mark there, and just back from holls. Just fitted a plug directly off the hab battery which can be used for other 12v accessories. Will report back on Friday when I try the pump for the first time,

Caddies104 - 2014-01-22 4:36 PM

...Anyone know of a way to use it off a 240v supply as well as off the battery... i.e. Have the means of plugging into the mains with a convertor/connection to clip on the crocodiles, so it can be used off both supplies...12v on the road, and 240v at home....

In principle, you could use a 230V/AC-12V/DC transformer to power a 12V tyre pump.

In practice, because a Ring RAC-900 has a 23Amp requirement, you'd need a transformer with a hefty capability and I believe the cost of such an equipment (assuming you could actually find one) would be far in excess of the price of a 230V tyre-pump (about £54 for a Ring RAC-750).

As your motorhome is usually within reach of a 230V power supply, you might be better off opting for the RAC-750.

(There are rechargeable tyre pumps that are charged-up via 12V or 230V - for example http://tinyurl.com/osz8jet - but I don't how effective they'd be with motorhome tyre pressures.)

A pal of mine today showed me a power converter, available at up to 4 kw output that will convert 12v to 240v. whether that would be enough to power a 240v compressor I don't know. As Derek says, if you go down the 240 route, then you should be able to plug in direct. Should be able to test the Ring over the weekend!

flyboyprowler - 2014-01-23 6:05 PM

A pal of mine today showed me a power converter, available at up to 4 kw output that will convert 12v to 240v. whether that would be enough to power a 240v compressor I don't know. As Derek says, if you go down the 240 route, then you should be able to plug in direct. Should be able to test the Ring over the weekend!

What Caddies104 had in mind was to run a 12V/DC Ring RAC-900 using a 230V/AC power source. As I suggested, this is technically possible but obtaining a transformer with sufficient output may prove difficult and the cost is likely to be off-putting.

Going the other way - running a 230V/AC tyre inflator using a 12V/DC power source - is a lot simpler as suitable inverters are readily available. Ring's RAC-750 mains-powered tyre pump

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/uk/products/Cars/Tyre+Care/Air+Compressors/RAC750

is advertised as having a 145W demand, so a 300W inverter in the £20-£30 price range should do the job.

There's a practicability issue though. It's easy to see how an RAC-750 pump could be operated satisfactorily when powered directly from 230V mains and using a common-or-garden 230V extension cable. However, when no 230V mains power-source were available, you'd have your motorhome's battery powering an inverter and then you'd need to connect the RAC-750 to the inverter - except an RAC-750 only has a 1.8m power-cable, so you'd also need an extension cable between the inverter and the RAC-750.

I don't think I've ever used my 12V tyre pump except at home where i could use a 230V pump instead. But, as I've seen people need to pump up a well-deflated motorhome tyre when there was no 230V power available and I want to be able to do that myself. As a 230V tyre pump costs much the same as a high-powered 12V pump, but is less versatile, I'll choose the latter.

Archived