Airlock in water system

Grumpyman

Hi DJ

By airlock, I assume you mean the water coughs and splutters out of the taps?...

Of the 3 vans that we've had, we've always found that it can take a few minutes to "bleed" their systems through.(..although sometimes it could take longer than others).

But we used to find that just running and clearing through, each tap in turn, soon sorted ours.

("Bleeding" all the Hot taps, then the Cold, worked best in our last van).

I can't see that the speed that you fill the tank will have any bearing on it...

Have you tried filling with the pump off and the taps open, no guarantees but it can help.

The hot water boiler has to fill before the system will pressurise properly and for this you will need the pump on preferably when the hose is not filling as the incoming water can aerate the water in the tank and the air can get pulled into the pipework.

As a last resort a good suck on an open tap with the pump running and just the one tap open can kick start it but you do run the risk of a face full of water, or take the shower head off and suck through that!

Can we assume that you know about closing the drain down valve on the boiler?

I would go round tightening as many joints and jubilee clips as I could reach just in case there is an air leak but if it works OK when the ailrlock is cleared I doubt there is any problem with the system itself.

It would be helpful if you said what you mean by ‘airlock’ and identified the type of water-system fitted to your Starburst.

I have owned two motorhomes - both with a Truma combination air/water heater and a SHURflo diaphragm water pump - and the only time I’ve ever had a problem with water not flowing cleanly from the fresh-water tank to the taps was when a water hose was not properly attached to the fresh-water tank’s outlet connector.

After a ‘drain down’ and having filled the fresh-water tank, it never took me more than 10 minutes to fill the rest of the system and bleed all the air from it. I never found it necessary to resort to Tracker’s sucking method and I’d be astonished that it would be needed (or effective) when a diaphragm pump is involved. It might do some good, I suppose, if the pump is the submersible type (ie. the pump is in the fresh-water tank itself), but I’ve no hands-on experience of that type of system.

Archived