BP Gas Light

Jackal

Has anyone tried to use this as an alternative to the normal gas cylinders?

I'm attracted to the reduced weight of these and need to buy for the first time having given up our two 6kg cylinders with our old van.

I also only have space for 2 x 11Kg cylinders and as this comes in a 10kg size am hoping it will fit but does the reduced overall weight result in a bigger cylinder?

Would we need an adaptor, their website is unclear?

Carry out a forum search and you'll find plenty of previous stuff on this.

Search all forums using keywords = "bp gaslight" (omitting the quotes) and Date limit = All posts. I suggest you start with the "what size gas" thread in the Caravan Chat forum as that's likely to be the most comprehensive.

Regarding your "Would we need an adaptor?" question, a BP Gaslight cylinder has a 27mm 'clip-on' valve that requires the appropriate adapter to connect to it. The adapter is the same type as used on Calor Patio Gas and BBQ Gas cylinders and Gaslow market a version (Part No: 01-1673).

The new Calor cylinder is to be called "Calor Lite". It's a 6kg capacity lightweight-steel container holding propane and having the normal UK POL propane connector-valve. The weight saving over a traditional Calor 6kg cylinder is said to be 4.48kg. There's an integrated gas-level indicator, but, assuming this records gas pressure within the container, is unlikely to be particularly accurate.

More details on:

http://www.calorlite.co.uk/

I don't quite understand the excitement about lightweight gas cylinders. If there is only 4.5 KGs weight saving why bother? Surely if you're so close to your max weight that saving 4.5KGs is important you have the wrong 'van (or carry too much gear)? Not trying to be controversial or upset anybody but is 4.5 KGS really so important a saving?

D.

Guest Tracker

Not to me it isn't Dave, and cynical old me bets that it has more to do with Calor reducing costs than a direct benefit to users?

Not that reducing costs is a crime - far from it, as it's good business sense - but let's have some marketing honesty in that the weight saving for users is probably a side effect bonus rather than the 'spin' of being a purpose in it's own right?

I wonder who this point of view will upset now!

My understanding is that Calor-lite (and BP Gaslight for that matter) targets caravans rather than motorhomes. A 9kg weight-saving on a pair of 6kg-capacity gas bottles may well be incidental for a damn great motorhome, but it could provide a valuable reduction in nose-weight for a large caravan.

Frightened of lightweight steel, eh? Next thing you'll want commercial aircraft built from cast iron!

Guest Tracker

That might depend on the grade of steel used and the quality of welding?

Given that automated welding can be very consistent these days and that there is much experience of the interaction between natural gases gas and steel it might just be that a newer lighter bottle built to a higher specification could be stronger than the old heavy bottles?

I really don't know - but I bet someone on here will?

• 3 months later...

Just to confirm that the level gauge on the Calor-lite LPG cylinder comprises a rise-and-fall float connected mechanically to a dial-needle near to the bottle's output valve.

I think the readout varies from "Hi" to "Low" (rather than 100% to 0%) and will hit the "Low" reading when there's still about 25% of gas in the bottle, but this should be accurate enough for users to be able to estimate their rate of gas usage and to provide a useful advance warning of when the bottle needs to be swapped.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that gas bottle manufacture and the manufactured bottles themselves are subjected to very strict examination and that a fairly substantial number of bottles examined are rejected.

Assuming that this criteria will apply to these lightweight bottles then there should be no problems.

Why reduce the weight of the bottle on the small sizes only is what I would like to know

Syd:

The Calor-Lite website indicates that the lightweight cylinder (available next month) targets the caravanning fraternity who would most benefit from gas-bottle weight savings. Traditionally, UK-manufactured caravans have been designed with gas-lockers that would accept 7kg/6kg Calor bottles but nothing larger. (This dimensional limitation was a potential problem when the BP Gas-Light container was introduced.) As the next step up in the Calor 'armoury' from 6kg(propane) is a 13kg(propane) cylinder (that no UK-built caravan would accept), there's little incentive for Calor to market a larger capacity (and more expensive) lightweight container.

I was told at the NEC that plumbers had expressed an interest in the Calor-Lite bottle as it's weight made it easier to handle in confined spaces and the level-gauge reduced the likelihood of accidentally running out of gas part way through a job.

Thanks Derek

Not much good for me then

Keep thinking all caravans are the same as mine, we take two of the larger bottles when we go abroad.

I often wondered why people were always talking about the need to get gas abroad and now I know.

Archived