Battery & Gas Saving Tips

AndyLou

Hi All,

Just thought I would start a handy tip thread.

I know there are probably others but you can never have too many good tips.

To save battery power and gas on the heating of the kettle.

We carry a gallon water container to fill kettle. Much quicker than the tap and uses no battery.

Also we carry a thermos flask that we put the excess water from the kettle in after it has boiled.

We then fill the kettle with this water first meaning that we are not boiling from cold every time.

Hope this was useful .

Andy :-D

• 2 weeks later...

How about being ahead of the game....

I know that I am going to have to make a mug of coffee for me, and a mug of tea for the wife.

I know how much water I need for those items, and that, plus a tiny drop, is all that needs to go in the kettle.

This not only saves wasted hot water, but is also quicker to boil, and when she wants tea, quicker is always better.

I carry a thermos flask jug. Any hot water left over can be put into this for further use. I always boil kettle prior to leaving a site, and fill flask, we then have hot water for a cup of coffee on route. Saves having to get out out of van to put the gas on.

• 1 year later...

I am new to this site can’t beleive what I am reading here bet these people never wash up in their van or use their toilet or shower

Boiling a kettle has minor impact on your gas and battery power

When we are away in Europe one 6 kg gas bottle will last over 6 weeks including all cooking and tea making

Each to his own??

Chill out and enjoy the wonderful life of motorhoming !!

For over fifty years we never took any gas or battery savings actions beyond common sense maintenance and usage as we just used each van as it was intended to be used, loo, shower, washing up and all, and we never had any problems?

Just make sure your batteries are in good condition and your gas adequate for the trip.

Simples!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
PJay - 2017-05-17 12:04 PM

I carry a thermos flask jug. Any hot water left over can be put into this for further use. I always boil kettle prior to leaving a site, and fill flask, we then have hot water for a cup of coffee on route. Saves having to get out out of van to put the gas on.

"Turn the gas off when driving " never turn it off and have driven for miles /Klm with the fridge on gas (not intentionally ) but never had a problem. As for saving electricity just change all your lights to LEDs the saving is noticable .

"Turn the gas off when driving " never turn it off and have driven for miles /Klm with the fridge on gas (not intentionally ) but never had a problem. As for saving electricity just change all your lights to LEDs the saving is noticable .

Not a problem until you crash and a gas pipe is fractured. Quick risk assessment - unlikely to happen but very dangerous result if it does.

Archived