Bike covers / rear view

Gray

I have a Compass Calypso which has excellent rear view through the bathroom window --- UNTILL -- I fit bikes on the rack. I am then looking through the maze of cross bars down tubes etc. I would also really like to cover the bikes when it is wet and then there is zero rear vision.

Has any-one already found an answer to this problem. Maybe a transparent bike cover? Possibly a means of dropping the rack lower ?

I do have a reversing camera set low down, although the image is poor anyway, but understand it is illegal to use it continuously ? Is this true ?

I`m sure some-one has been here long before me & I hate re-discovering the wheel !

(?)

Hi Gray

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you will get a wide spread of answers.

But here's my twopenneth.

I have a Bessacarr E410 with the rear window offset to the Passenger side.

I use our Bike Rack (Fiamma) for a wheel chair in it's cover, which did intrude on the rearview.

I simply loosened the bolts on the wheel carrier rails and slid them further right. This does not completely move it clear of the Rear window, but was a big improvement.

Regarding the Rear View camera - ours is mounted at roof level and gives a good wide angle view - ideal for reversing, but I use it all the time to as additional rear view when travelling.

This gives me the best solution, as using the rear view cab mirror does not see that driver how decides to increase his mpg by sitting in the hole in the air made by our van. He doesn't escape detection by the camera though.

I started a thread (late 2006) on the subject of the legality of using the Rear view Screen forward of the driver, whilst travelling and the concensus appeared to be that it would be doubtful if the police / authorities would take any action, especially if it is a single function unit (i.e. not also usable as a TV or DVD player)

I can't see any difference between the use of a Sat Nav screen being dashboard mounted. They are both driver aids.

Thanks Flicka,

The rear window is about dead-center, so sadly a sideways move doesn`t help me.

I may try useing the camera all the time then, if it`s not regarded as a problem. ( Can`t see why it should be really - it`s mounted ON the rear view mirror anyway! )

I know what you mean about slip-streamers, I had a little Fiat hiding in there for miles on my very first outing on the motorway. He chickened out at about 70 (lol)

The answer, short of carrying the bikes inside, or not at all, is a rear view camera.  Illegal?  No, why should it be, it substitutes for your rear view mirror.  Mount high so that it sees over the bikes.  If the image on yours is not good, it is due to a poor camera or monitor, there is no need for this and the best are very good.  You'll need to research lens angles a bit, as many are aimed at reversing only and the angle on these is too great for normal rear view purposes.  A reversing camera won't be much use to you with the bikes on board, but you could, with a little help from an expert, install a second camera for reversing as many LCD monitors will switch between two inputs.  However, do make sure the monitor will give a reversed (mirror) image, if necessary for both cameras if you take that route.  Waeco has a range of reversing cameras and monitors, not among the cheapest, but good quality, or ask our very own Dave Newell if he can come up with something, he did for us a couple of years back and it worked very well - even in tunnels!

Hi I recently had a rear view camera fitted, the monitor fits over the rear view mirror, so from a passer by's point of view, its just a rear view mirror.

As far as the law concerned, most hgv's use them all the time as do I, don't see how you could be procecuted for improving your rear view.

pete

Hi I recently had a rear view camera fitted, the monitor fits over the rear view mirror, so from a passer by's point of view, its just a rear view mirror.

As far as the law concerned, most hgv's use them all the time as do I, don't see how you could be procecuted for improving your rear view.

pete

Archived