Breakfast in bed!

Mr. Grumpy

In many recent test reports on Motor homes with fixed rear beds there have been complaints that it is not possible to sit up in bed because you would lean against the rear window. We have a Burstner t-615 and solved the problem by making a small bed head with two down struts which slip between the bed frame and the rear wall. The bed is mounted on a strong metal sub frame and the two struts just sit on this making the bed head easily removable and as it is only 30” wide it can be stored in the wardrobe or even under the bed, although we tend to leave it in place. The only down side is that we cannot drop the blind but as my wife has made curtains for all the windows it is not a serious problem.

Why not just put the mattress in the garage and sleep in there then? Plenty of headroom! (lol)

Seriously, I know what you mean, some of them are very high and no better than an overcab bed, fortunately our van has a fixed rear bed with a garage but it's not one of the really tall ones, big enough to get the bikes in by removing the quick release front wheels (we could probably do it without removing them but it's easy enough), but low enough so that I just need a little step to get up there and it keeps the dogs off so we don't get jumped on in the middle of the night.

Our pull down bed in the Hymer is low enough to sit up on, high enough to stop the dogs reaching, unfortunatley all that does is have our Staffy trying to climbe the ladder and whining while the Cocker Spaniel will just sit on the floor looking up at you and bark, so we have to use the rear bed as well and we swap who gets the peacfull nights sleep on the top bed and who has to put up with the dogs.

Must try to train them better some how???

:-S

My lady wife brought me breakfast in bed every day for the first 11 years of our marriage. Work patterns then changed and its only been on Saturdays and Sundays for the 21 years since then. Naturally, I made a thorough assessment of the over-garage bed space before ordering my Knaus 650 MG!

Before the feminists throw a fit, I should add that I do ALL of the other cooking!

Bob

Archived