Cab condensation

mco

Where there are breathing forms of life in the 'van, there is bound to be some condensation, and if the front screen is the coldest spot, it will attract the moisture to it.

The answer is probably best to start using exterior screens, which will retain heat and so reduce or even stop the condensing action.

mco - 2007-11-09 10:03 PM

Autosleeper Rienza. Anyone had problems with condensation forming overnight on cab windows now that it's getting colder? If so suggestions for curing it please. Never had this problem with Autosleeper Legend.

Interesting - we had an Autosleeper Legend, but got condensation on cab windows if not using silver screen. I'm sure all motorhomes get cab condensation whatever their make, although I did read that there is one make which has some sort of heating under the dash/windscreen. Can't remember the make. Bit drastic though, changing van to stop condensation!

We now have a Hymer and have one of those cylindrical electric heaters which we put on the dash. The cat also likes that arrangement :-) We also use external silver screens.

Ina.

Hi There,

We use external insulation screens which all but eliminate condensation on the cab windows on all but the coldest nights. We also turn the heating off at night and keep some vents open which will help, but the colder it gets outside and the warmer you keep it inside, the greater the problem. :'(

Lee

I wonder if your Rienza has a tinted screen and the Legend didn't?  Tinted screens tend to chill quicker than clear, due to the pigmentation. 

However, be that as it may: using your van increases the relative humidity inside and, if any surface is below the dew point for that level of RH, the moisture will condense onto it.  The windscreen and cab windows are single glazed, so chill quickly.  They then tend to become the coldest surfaces, so are where the condensation will first form.

What to do?

Two things.  First, drop the internal RH by ventilating the van to let the fug out.  Second, insulate the cab windows with an external cover.  (The internal ones are less effective in reducing condensation).  However, if the outside temperature drops really low you'll get overnight condensation whatever measures you take, just less of it!

Easiest way to cure condensation in the cab area is to isolate and ensure adequate ventilation. Decent curtains to separate the cab from the living area will help, and with wind deflectors fitted this allows us to leave the side windows open a inch or two allowing air to circulate without rain getting in and no draughts.

I dont think you can completely stop it,mine was worse on the windscreen if I only used the internal silver screens so I rolled up a long thick curtain ,put some elastic bands around it to keep it tight & lay it along the dash tight into the windscreen,this soaks up the condensation that runs down then I hang it somewhere in the van during the day to dry out.Having now bought a set of external silver screens seems to have completely cured the problem,I put these up if staying more than a couple of nights. (lol)

:-D 8-) :-D

We are in fact living in our motorhome (Rapido) while building our house. There is a lot of heat generated by cooking meals all day and every day and without doubt the answer are external screens. Since changing to these from internal we have had NO condensation at all.

Paul and Ann

Hapiness is no white bits!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tracker
Highlander - 2007-12-12 9:02 PM

I've just purchased a pro-tec breathable cab cover for use when the van is not being used in winter. It only takes a couple of minutes to put on. Has anyone used a cab cover to prevent condensation and can I expect similar results to using a silver screen cover?

Thanks.

I doubt a cover will either prevent, cure or cause condensation?

Condensation occurs when air temperatures and relative humidity differ either side of an uninsulated barrier - a fine example of which is a windscreen.

If the van is not in use and the temperature inside closely resembles the temperature outside there may well not be any condensation anyway.

Covers do tend to restrict air flow and stale unmoved air can also lead to dampness and condensation as well as a stale smell.

It's your choice whether to use a cover to protect paintwork - although modern paintwork is designed to spend it's life out in the open - but a cover will never cure condensation in the cab.

Thanks Tracker, so do you reckon when we are using the van if this type of cover was on overnight there would still be condensation in the morning?

Paul, we WILL be using the van next winter for long periods abroad - bl00dy freezing here and the dog will have his passport by then :-D

Guest Tracker
Highlander - 2007-12-15 7:10 PM

Thanks Tracker, so do you reckon when we are using the van if this type of cover was on overnight there would still be condensation in the morning?

Paul, we WILL be using the van next winter for long periods abroad - bl00dy freezing here and the dog will have his passport by then :-D

Yes very likely that the inside of the windscreen will be wet every morning - unless you turn the heating off and all stop breathing!

Although I don't use one, I gather that the best way to stop inside cab condensation is to use an external Silver Screen (other brands are available!) - as long as you have somewhere to store bulky wet screens during the day!

Don't bother with the internal insulated screens 'cos they just don't work anything like as well - allegedly!

I believe these covers are intended only to protect the cab finish while the vehicle is unused.  I would not expect them to offer much, if any, insulation of the windscreen and cab windows, which is what is needed to counter condensation.  I also think that using such a cover while in occupation may be unwise: it would seem to reduce your emergency escape doors to just one.  Your call.

External, insulated, windscreen and cab door window covers offer the best safeguard against condensation.  However, nothing can prevent condensation under all conditions of external temperature/internal humidity.  The better they are likely to work, the bulkier and more expensive they tend to be.  Top range covers suitable for Alpine conditions are bulky, fairly heavy, and cost around £200 per set.  I am unaware if these are avialable in UK.  The typical UK version is lighter and thinner, so probably less thermally efficient, and costs around £100 per set.  Below this, there are covers down to around £50, but look closely at what you are getting before you buy.

Good fit is essential for maximum benefit.  They should exclude as much rain as possible, since cold rain quickly chills the glass, and should also exclude as much air movement as possible, since cold air blowing under the covers has a similar, though less pronounced, effect.

Guest Tracker
bjphillips - 2007-12-18 11:05 PM

Very difficult to remove all traces of washing up liquid when you need to drive off.If you dont thoroughly clean it all off oncoming vehicle headlights appear like stars & tend to be very dazzling!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-)

WUL (washing up liquid) will not stop condensation forming but due to the reduced surface tension on the class it will tend to run off to the bottom of the windscreen rather than linger on the glass.

Quite where said water goes when it reaches the bottom of the glass is anyone's guess but I would rather it stayed on the glass, where I can wipe it off, than find it's way into any of the dashboard electrics.

Cleaning the inside of the window with Jif (now Cif) has the same effect and as a real bonus you can also clean your bathroom mirror with Cif which means you will be able to see in it to shave as it will remain mist free with a bowl full of hot water in use.

Our Hymer cab screens have condensation every morning during the colder months, didn't want the extra hassle of external screens so our answer is a Squegee, a wash leather and three of the microfibre towels.

The towels are positioned around the bottom of the dash and side windows, then in the morning we squegee off the condensation and then wipe with leather, drips are caught by the towels, only takes a few minutes and it also means you always have clean internal windscreen glass :-D

• 1 month later...

Make sure your pollen filter is not blocked and at nightime ensure the switch is set to outside air not reirc and set to windscreen only. Some windscreen design is very poor as the vents are too far back from the windscreen surface. One can easly make up a deflector from the vents up close to the windscreen and under your silver screens. It works.

Tracker is correct a lot of condensation dripping down can play havoc with modern electronics in the dashboard.

Please do not use Jif or Washing-up liquid on the windscreen as they contain Salts.

Great idea to use Microfibre Towles. You can also use Silca Gel bags aswell.

Regards

Brendan

I'm probably preaching to the converted but wouldn't be without the external screens that were recommended now. Good insulation and no condensation.

If we're not moving the van during the day they stop on, if we move, it only takes mins. to remove.

To anyone thinking of buying them I would say go for it.

Archived