Carrying a windsurf board

griffo5

I am weighing up the alternatives available to me for carrying windsurf kit on my Autotrail Tracker. There doesn't seem to be enough space avialable on the roof, so I was thinking a bike rack might be the best and least expensive option. Any advice would be welcome - can I fit a bike rack myself or is the mounting point info a secret available only to Autotrail dealers ?

I'm puzzled as to why there isn't enough room on roof. Saying that if you have a board short enough to be mounted at back it's got to be easier than getting it on top after a long days sailing, but won't you still have to put masts and sails on top, or are you storing them inside?

Hi Griffo

Fiamma do a Ski rack that fits their Bike Rack, that may take your Windsurf Board. Don't know about the mast though !!

Regarding fitting a Bike Rack on your Van, alot depends on your Van's age.

If it's still under Warranty, I would not risk self-fitting.

If older the Tracker is a fairly popular model so it may be possible to approach other owners to check fixing points.

Then again someone on this forum (like "Tracker") may have the info. He is a regular poster so check the search above for his posts.

The roof is a a right clutter of windows, vents etc with no free space that I can see. I would also have to get a roof rack of some sort, plus a ladder, hence the bike rack idea - especially as its a short board and a 2-piece mast. I guess I'd better get the dealer to fit it as its still got a year's guarantee left. Thanks for the comments.

I use a 'high lift'? rack (well not much nowadays), this gives just enough room to open vents couple of inches, as I said bit of a pain lifting gear on top after a days/weekends racing, but when used most I was carrying full kit for F42 racing, choise was fill van or put on top.

Archived