Credit card to use abroad

frenchman

Am going fulltiming in july, and been looking around for best card to use in Europe. We have an account with lloyds and they have suggested their new credit card called Avios. Looks very good, you pay £24 a year and all transactions and cashpoint withdrawels are free! Not bad! best one i've found, hope this helps. Just pay off balance each month and Roberts your Fathers Brother! (lol)

Saga or Nationwide give charge free use (not for cash extraction) and the Saga exchange rate tends to be a bit better than Nationwide, but if fulltiming I can see the advantage of charge free cash.

Just make sure the card issuer knows what countries you will be in and they have your mobile phone number to avoid them blocking the card.

Halifax Clarity is free for purchases, but not for cash withdrawals.

Nationwide Flex Plus is free for cash withdrawals. this is part of a packaged current which provides medical cover all as part of the monthly charge.

Santander Zero is our backup card, however I think this is no longer available to new customers.

Check them out, also Norwich and Peterborough BS apparently have a good card,

A couple of options that could work.

Use a pre paid card in euros and load it up when the rate is favourable. Then there are no further charges when you use the card. The main disadvantage of this type of card is that you cannot use it for car hire or hotels etc where they need a 'deposit' to be charged against your card.

The other suggestion is that if your finances are such, you can get a euro credit card from a UK bank through its offshore branch.

The only caveat I see with your Avios card is that although there are not transaction fees, there will be an exchange rate, which knowing Lloyds, is probably not the best. You may save with one hand and lose with the other, however, only you will know that with time and experience. If it does not work, then change it after a year.

starvin marvin - 2015-04-29 9:33 AM

Halifax Clarity is free for purchases, but not for cash withdrawals...

There is no fee for cash withdrawals via the Halifax “Clarity” credit card, though interest on the amount withdrawn will (potentially) be charged.

As explained here

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money#bestbuys

the interest charge can be minimised (or sidestepped completely) by repaying the cash withdrawal amount as soon as practicable.

This ploy can also be used with Santander’s “Zero” credit card (no longer available to new customers) that has terms similar to those of the “Clarity” card.

Archived