Data sim for abroad?

maggyd

i want a pay as you go data Sim for abroad! I spoke to 3 yesterday and the young man said theirs would work in France but not Germany! He agreed with me when I mentioned buying it once over there that that would be the by far cheapest way to do it.

How easy is it to do when you don't speak French? Any tips as to which one and from where? We are heading for Brittany first. I'm not putting it in my phone, I bought a mobile wifi.

Thanks.

It is something that I discovered the hard way when i was 'persuaded' to buy a new Smart phone. As I have PAYG deal already I assumed I would just swop the SIM and be on my way. Firslty, I found out the new phone uses a micro SIM, so I had to use the one supplied. It was only after 1 month i found out that it had whipped £40 from my account despite my not using the phone due to data roaming charges from the apps supplied with the phone, which I never used.

My daughter switched the data roaming off, which stopped the bills and suggested i buy a SIM from a supermarket as the call prices were much lower than what i was paying to my supplier (He is known as 'beardie', but does not make pickle anymore). I did as she suggested and bought a SIM for 50p from ASDA, popped it into the Smart phone and it all worked. However, as the OP mentions, the problems will re-appear when we go to Europe as we would need to switch data roaming back on to make calls etc. So, I have cheated and gone back to the old phone, which has no internet facility, and will use it as normal to make and receive calls. £30 lasts us 2 months abroad. For internet we will just get a card from the site which costs us €20 for 1 month unlimited access. Yes, it is a bit slow, but workls all we need. I know that is not what the OP may be looking for but it is a way round it. The oither thing my daughter suggested was to look for free wifi, park outside Macdonalds etc.

So, my suggestion after this rambling is for the OP to maybe see if she can buy a SIM at a supermarket and use that by buying topups as she goes along. You will not need to have any address etc. The young 'uns all have Contracts nowadays which allows them to do many things which do not interest me, and paying 40-50 quid a month seems a good deal to them for unlimited whatever.

Hi I should have explained, we have bought a huawei mobile wifi so I can connect to the Internet on my iPad abroad. This is what I need the data card for, it works as hub I can connect 10 devices to it through wifi! I won't be though !

I do as you did with my phone switched the data off I lost £ 25. In a few mins when I first bought it trying to download a free app !

I just want to check on camp sites, Trip Adviser , and FaceTime on my iPad. I don't use contracts either my phone stays in my handbag and is only used rarely.

Guest pelmetman

I have a 3 mobile broadband contract which apparently is now usable in Spain and France at no extra cost B-) ..........Unfortunately my dongle had packed up so couldn't try it out *-) ............

Got a new one now which works great in the UK, can even watch tv :D ............It'll be interesting to see if I can get the telly in France & Spain :-S ........I'll be able to sell my Aldi satellite ;-) ........

maggyd - 2015-05-03 11:36 AM

i want a pay as you go data Sim for abroad! I spoke to 3 yesterday and the young man said theirs would work in France but not Germany!

Thanks.

What 3 does at present, is allow you to, "Feel at home" in France (and other countries) and use your mobile at UK rates when there. As Germany is not, at present one of the, "Feel at home" countries, you pay a higher rate when using your 3 mobile there.

In fact 3 works in all countries, but is much cheaper in one of the, "Feel at home" group; which includes amongst others: France, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland and Austria

Hi

I too have the dongle and have had it for about 3 years now. I have not used it in France but have successfully used it in Germany, Spain, Portugal & Ireland. Wherever we are going I just find the nearest phone shop and ask for a data sim card, they are usually about 10e which will give about 2Gb but sometimes providers throw in a bonus of double the allowance.

I have used several different providers including Vodaphone & Yoigo and never had any trouble. In Portugal earlier this year they did not understand what I wanted so got Google translate up on the internet so I typed it in in English and they saw it in Portugese- clever eh?

So no problem methinks

have a good trip

bob

Thank you if I can't find a phone shop as we aren't heading straight to a large town I thought a post office might be a possible, I have a translator app on this iPad so I'll remember to have it with me ;-) Jibbibo or something like that . (lol)

Archived