Don't Forget to Check/Change your gearbox oil.

BGD

Hi there guys n gals -

I guess many of you will have new or newish MH's and get your dealer/a garage do your vehicle servicing.

But for those of you with older chuggers who do service them yourself.......don't forget that from time to time you should change your gearbox oil as well as your engine oil.

And you should be checking the gearbox oil level as part of your maintenance regime.

I've just changed the gearbox oil on our old-dog-of-a-van (1992 EuraMobil on Peugeot J5 2.5 litre non-turbo deisel).

Previous owner said it had been done shortly before we bought it from him about 9 months ago. No way!!

Van has done just short of 100k miles, and from the state of the stuff that drained out, I don't think it has ever been changed in the van's entire life.

It was so grotty that I had to change it twice (fill with new gearbox oil, run for a while, then drain that and re-fill again).

Also the oil level is actually where it should be, rather than half empty (it's a bugger to check the gearbox oil level on these engines, but it really should be done from time to time 'cos if it gets too low, 5th gear can get starved of lubrication).

One other thing that I added (I've used it many times before) is "Slick 50" gearbox oil additive.

IMHO it's a fantastic product and really does what it says on the box................. the difference now really is substantial: van is quieter, gearchanges are much easier and much smoother.

Well worth the effort.

:-D

Quality oils already have all the additives required, extra additives could make for difficult gear changes because the syncro relies on some drag to slow the faster turning bits down, or something like that.

Waste of money, just buy quality oils

Syd - each to his own I guess.

I've always forun that adding Molyslip or Slick 50 has made a noticeable difference to gearboxes compared to just putting in normal (good brand, but normal) gearbox oil.

Perhaps I should add that this has always been on my older vehicles, my toys (cars and bikes) that I have maintained myself - on my Company cars I couldn't give a toss, just let the Main Dealer apprentices do their incompetent worst.

I think it's not that rare to find 'approved' gearbox additives on sale at vehicle main agents - I've certainly seen them at a local Ford main dealership.

From the early-1980s onwards I owned 4 Golf GTi cars in succession and a molybdenum-based gearbox additive was available from VW dealers and approved by VW. I used to add it and it definitely made gear changing significantly 'slicker'. I doubt that this type of product would inhibit the working of synchromesh in good condition, but I guess it might worsen existing problems caused by worn synchromesh.

Early 16-valve versions of the Golf GTi gained a bad reputation for heavy (and I really do mean "heavy") oil consumption and tuners began to recommend Mobil 1 oil, plus a molybdenum-based additive - a policy that VW quickly recognised. It resulted in a peculiar situation at the VW dealership I frequented, where I bought Mobil 1 oil from their parts department (at a very reasonable price) and then handed it back across the counter for it to be put in the car when it was being serviced.

From what I recall, it was advised that several thousand miles be put on new vehicles before adding friction-reducing additives to the engine or gearbox, otherwise it could impact adversely on the running-in process.

(Gearboxes can be remarkably tolerant of abuse. Due to a misunderstanding I ran a sports-car for several years with straight 30-grade oil in its Ford gearbox instead of the correct EP80. It seemed to have no damaging effect, although, once I had recognised my mistake and with the benefit of hindsight, I did realise that, during gear-changes, all the internals in the gearbox had been whizzing around in a very carefree manner when I had been using the lighter oil.)

• 3 weeks later...
Syd - 2008-01-12 8:01 PM

Quality oils already have all the additives required, extra additives could make for difficult gear changes because the syncro relies on some drag to slow the faster turning bits down, or something like that.

Waste of money, just buy quality oils

Click here and learn

Myth about fuel additives

Archived