Down the invertor road?

mco

Why would you want to top up a battery from an inverter? as an inverter runs off a battery. I would suggest for what you want a generator is the best bet.

Hi thanks for the info.

Inverters are thirsty on batteries if you are going to use a heavy load you will need 2 batteries, you can work out the load you need by dividing the load, watts by the voltage eg: roughly a 1000w hair dryer would use approx 4 amps on a 250v supply and 83amps on a 12v supply through an inverter, so as you can see this would hammer the battery.

You cannot top your battery up with an inverter because you are using the battery to run it . I have a small inverter on my camper (200w )to run TV, digibox, lap top dvd player ( not all at once) when not hooked up, I find the 110a leisure battery copes well with these. high resistive loads are not a good idea (kettles hairdryers etc )as the demand high and you would need a bank of batteries, alright for boats where weight is not an issue.

Small inverters are not expensive and there are plenty on the market to choose from sterling products make an excellent range have a look on sterling power.com

Hope this helps let me know if you require further help

Regards Geoff

We use a 300w inverter and as Geoff Cole said, we run a 15" LCD TV/DVD Player, sky digibox and a Laptop, no problems at all.

Don't use a hairdryer, only when on hookup, just let it dry naturally and then use a gas powered hair styler if necessary. I don't think 12v hairdryers are a lot of use, having tried a 12v hair styler which was a complete waste of time. Its like 12v kettles, takes too long to get hot.

Sylvia

(thought I had better sign this post as some might think it was the other half that used the hairdryer!!!!)

We have an inverter connected to the vehicle battery and when we want to use it, e.g. a hairdryer, (if we are not hooked up naturally), we just run the engine and plug straight in to the inverter. We "survived" this method for 12 weeks in the summer in France and Spain and managed fine. It ran the air con whist we were moving and if we were stopped we just run the engine, (On tick over), for 10 minutes or so after the sun had gone down and it cooled the van off great.

As to charging the battery from an inverter, we did connect a charger to it whilst we were driving just to "boost" the leisure batteries and again it worked ok. We only did this on short journeys otherwise it cooks them. Also, just remember NOT to have the inverter switched on whilst the engine is stopped though as it will suck, not drain the power from your vehicle battery!

Tomo3090 - 2008-02-02 6:06 PM

We have an inverter connected to the vehicle battery and when we want to use it, e.g. a hairdryer, (if we are not hooked up naturally), we just run the engine and plug straight in to the inverter. We "survived" this method for 12 weeks in the summer in France and Spain and managed fine. It ran the air con whist we were moving and if we were stopped we just run the engine, (On tick over), for 10 minutes or so after the sun had gone down and it cooled the van off great.

As to charging the battery from an inverter, we did connect a charger to it whilst we were driving just to "boost" the leisure batteries and again it worked ok. We only did this on short journeys otherwise it cooks them. Also, just remember NOT to have the inverter switched on whilst the engine is stopped though as it will suck, not drain the power from your vehicle battery!

Our inverter is just plugged in to the cigar type socket in the cupboard for the TV which I presume runs off the leisure battery. As we have a solar panel fitted we do not have to have the engine running. Don't know much about them but maybe yours is a different type of inverter.

Our inverter is large enough to run our microwave oven and we use it regularly whenever travelling between sites. ie GB to Spain

2x110amp batteries run inverter, microwave, TV, lights, laptop and they do so for three nights at least without any problem.

One of the good things we have had installed

I used to have the inverter connected to the battery for power and then through a switch into the caravan system but I got fed up with having to remember to switch it off before plugging into 240v so just prior to leaving for a trip to Spain last year I fitted a relay into the system that automatically switched to inverter off when the 240 was plugged in and on again when 240 is disconected. I always take the view that a "too large" an inverter is far better than a "too small" inverter.

There are easier ways of doing this Ive been told and it has been covered on this forum before somewhere complete with pictures.

I have a German caravan so my wiring system is slightly different to UK caravans

Your best avenue to proceed down would to contact by PM either Clive or Dave Newell for more professional advice.

I came under a lot of criticysm when I mentioned my set up on here but it has worked absolutely perfectly since and under pretty heavy use for some 10 weeks in one stint. You can get inverters that also contain a battery charger when useing site power.

Speak to Moore Power too, I have found them VERY helpful people, they have a web site

I did promise to put my wiring diagram onto the forum but never got around to it but I may do so after I have been to the show as I will have the caravan here at home for a few days, will take some pictures of the system as it now is as well.

Good luck and post your results for us please

My inverter is wired up as follows.

The 240 site input into the caravan is put through a switching device that corrects any reverse polarity connection.

Then to the output side of this switching device there is a relay fitted that takes the pos and neg 240v supply from the inverter and feeds it into the caravans own system , this relay disconnects the inverter supply from the caravan system as soon as you connect the site 240 supply and then connects the outside 240v supply to the caravan electrics.

At the same time a second relay switches the 12v supply inside the Inverter off, through a pretty thin wire from inside the inverter its-self when connected to the outside supply and on again when disconnected, there is an over-ride switch for this relay with my inverter

The inverter is connected to the battery with the quiet heavy leads that came with it.

Seek better advice from Clive or Dave if you are doing this job by yourself don't rely on me

Thanks Syd, and there is no danger of me doing the work! I just read "inverter blah blah, 240 v blah blah!" No reflection on your description at all, just my inability to understand anything technical!

I do have a tame motorhome equipment fitter that does all my work and I'll just copy the instructions and let him figure it out. Then I just plug something in at one end, flick a switch and electricity comes out of the other! It doesn't come more simple than that :-D

Don't forget to switch the inverter off before you plug into the site 240 supply or you may damage your inverter with a reverse flow of current.

Have you checked with Clive, there are pictures of his setup on this forum somewhere and it is different to mine. Try a search, maybe just under inverter but go back 6 months

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to upload the wireing diagram for the relays that switch off my inverter when I plug into the site supply

See previous post

Just realised that one is not supposed to be able to edit a post 30 mins after posting but here am I managing to edit a post some two weeks later.

Does that show you just how special I really am?? (lol) (lol) >:-)

Syd - 2008-02-29 7:14 PM

Just realised that one is not supposed to be able to edit a post 30 mins after posting but here am I managing to edit a post some two weeks later.

Does that show you just how special I really am?? (lol) (lol) >:-)

Does that mean I'm special as well? 8-) just added a photo to 6 day old post on MH matters

• 2 weeks later...

We have an 1800watt inverter for the 230 volt kettle, (750wt) 2 slice toaster (850wt) and the wife has a 1250 watt hair dryer as we wild camp a lot.

What you must remember/work out is that each of these items are only running for a max. time of 5 mins, so the largest of 1250 watt dryer takes 104+ amps but it is only in use for 4mins i.e. 1/15th of an hour taking less than 7 amps. I should also mention we like to have plenty amps in reserve so I have 2x75 amp solar panels, 2x110 ahr batteries and for good measure carry the Honda 1000 watt geni, we are determind to be sell sufficient and never caught with our pants in a twist.

I should also mention that I have a battery monitor that tells me all what is going in and out of the system and much much more, needles to say I like Gizmos.

Happy 'vanning

As my grandpappy would say "It is better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt"

We find that in reality you only need an inverter that is big enough to run your heaviest piece of equipment plus a margin for safety, because you will seldom run more than one item at one time

Our heaviest piece of equipment is the microwave oven

• 1 month later...

Before you just buy an invertor consider the following chain of events:

Battery power is going to be drained, do you have sufficient capacity for the appliances you intend to use?

How will you replenish the batteries?

We have had our Mobilvetta Driver 57s for six years now and the "power mods" began with wanting to run a toaster at breakfast time when "off site."

I began by fitting a solar panel to the roof to keep the leisure battery topped up, the size is 75 Watt.

I then coupled up a 1200 Watt invertor to the existing lone leisure battery which had an 85 Ampere hour capacity.

My 700 Watt toaster was tested and successful for two slices, but it flattened the battery.

I then parralleled up two additional 85 Ahr batteries so to give a combined capacity of some 250 Ampere hours.

This remains our existing setup and it comfortably powers the toaster for as many slices as you can eat, 750 watt microwave, sat receiver/tele (though obviously not all at the same time.)

Concerning the sockets dilemma, for ease as much as anything, I fitted a double socket to the outside of the cupboard which houses the invertor and this does us just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental

you can buy a single slice gas hob toaster for a £5 at any show and it makes great toast in seconds.

Archived