Downsizing

Ralph

After moving up in size each time we've changed vans, we've just traded in our A class van for a Rapido V56 panel van, although 6 metres is still a reasonable size in my book. :-S

I couldn't believe the stuff we kept in the old van and I know that we need to cut down. This is the first time we've ever had a panel van and we are bound to notice changes (the big chairs have to go for a start) so I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone who's done it before.

Hi Ralph,we carry our chairs on the living area seat when travelling and at night stand them behind the swiveled seat by the dashbord.The silver screen sits on the drivers seat at night and boots and ramps in the footwell.

Baz

rhe screen if not being used. likewise the ramps.

We have a Royal foldaway laundry bin which we keep the screens in when they're not needed. It fits nicely under the dinette table against the wall so we can still use the table to eat on.

We also use some vacuum travel bags to put towels, bedding etc in as they reduce the size of stuff by about 70% when you roll the air out of them, they are also very useful for dirty washing as they not only reduce it to a small size but also 'seal' it so if you have smelly socks you don't know about it!!! (lol)

royal-foldaway-laundry-bin.jpg.63d749c72402549a42141568ca8258b3.jpg

1300849472_Royalbin.JPG.de64b931d517a8aee6b2e44d5d2a3abb.JPG

Mel B - 2014-04-04 11:06 PM

We also use some vacuum travel bags to put towels, bedding etc in as they reduce the size of stuff by about 70% when you roll the air out of them, they are also very useful for dirty washing as they not only reduce it to a small size but also 'seal' it so if you have smelly socks you don't know about it!!! (lol)

I like the vaccuum idea but how do you suck the air out when you are away in the van?

Ralph - 2014-04-06 7:18 PM

Mel B - 2014-04-04 11:06 PM

I like the vaccuum idea but how do you suck the air out when you are away in the van?

Vacuum as in removing air, not using a vacuum cleaner .... :-D

There are 2 types, the ones you use at home which tend to be much larger and for ease a vacuum cleaner hose is put into them to remove the air and reduce the bulk, however the travel ones are smaller and come in a range of sizes - once you've put your stuff in you seal them and just roll to expel the air through a bladder at the bottom. I suppose you could try having a suck to get the air out if you wanted but it wouldn't be very pleasant!!! (lol)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JUMBO-SIZED-TRAVEL-ROLL-UP-VACUUM-BAG-Luggage-Storage-/191036527103?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item2c7aaa11ff

We adapted to downsizeing by getting all the utensils and crockery out and sorting just what we can and cant do without try to buy duel use equiptment. Towels Ive replaced all of them with quick drying sport type that fold up much smaller so taking up less space. We leave the largish table at home and O.H made a smaller one that we leave up so freeing up the large storage area above the cab, my SHOES !! (lol) well I now only take a couple of pairs and sandels where is I used to have at least half a dozen pairs and O.K you wil soonl get the hang of it Ive just deleted a load of rubbish (lol) (lol) the chairs though I prefer the ones that fold up and fit into a bag like small tents O.H likes the recliners so we will be discussing that ;-) before we pack for our six week hols !! dont worry about it when you have a largish van you fill it because you can, !! you dont need all that stuff. I bet you find there is loads of hidden area,s that you didnt know were there once you get it. Enjoy it is much better and cossier we find .

maggyd - 2014-04-10 4:40 PM

Towels Ive replaced all of them with quick drying sport type that fold up much smaller so taking up less space. .

Just been looking at these on EBay and surprised to see how reasonably priced they are. This seems to be a great idea, not just to save space but also because microfibre is so much easier to wash and dry.

Only trouble I now have is that OH now wants to buy lots of them in all different sizes :-D

:-D Ive bought 4 bath size and 4 hand towels even the dogs have them, we bought ours off ebay and they are good, Ive just put them in the van this week and I have loads of space left in the top cupboard where I keep them ;-) so maybe a couple more of MY things can go in there as well. (lol)

maggyd - 2014-04-18 10:16 PM

:-D Ive bought 4 bath size and 4 hand towels even the dogs have them, we bought ours off ebay and they are good, Ive just put them in the van this week and I have loads of space left in the top cupboard where I keep them ;-) so maybe a couple more of MY things can go in there as well. (lol)

I bought them to save space/weight on long distance bike rides/walks. Save space/weight they certainly did, but fell down badly on the getting me dry bit. Don't use them anymore, just use hands and stand around for a few minutes, then get dressed while still damp. No problems so far, might need a light spray of WD40 on the joints soon though. :D

maggyd - 2014-04-20 12:16 PM

Like any new towel you need to put them through a wash first before they dry you properly !!

We have used ours and they absorb the water very well and dry much quicker than the terry ones.

When you wash towels ideally don't use any fabric conditioner if you can avoid it and they will actually dry you much better - using the conditioner puts a 'film' on the fibres and stops them being so absorbent.

It seems that microfibre is the Marmite of the towel world. Lots of people seem to hate them.

I love Marmite and I'm hooked on microfibre too. A whole bale of them fit into a small cupboard in the washroom and they work very well for drying too.

When they arrived we washed the whole lot by hand, wrung them out and hung them on the line. 2 hours later they were dry.

Towel washing has always been a problem when we are away so this is an ideal solution.

Also bought a microfibre duvet cover and hoping that will work well for easy washing too.

Now where can I buy microfibre underwear? :-D :-S B-)

Ralph - 2014-04-22 7:05 AM

It seems that microfibre is the Marmite of the towel world. Lots of people seem to hate them.

I love Marmite and I'm hooked on microfibre too. A whole bale of them fit into a small cupboard in the washroom and they work very well for drying too.

When they arrived we washed the whole lot by hand, wrung them out and hung them on the line. 2 hours later they were dry.

Towel washing has always been a problem when we are away so this is an ideal solution.

Also bought a microfibre duvet cover and hoping that will work well for easy washing too.

Now where can I buy microfibre underwear? :-D :-S B-)

(lol) here you go nice and comfy too they look

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=microfibre+boxers&tbm=shop

maggyd - 2014-04-29 6:30 PM

Spoilsport (lol) I wonder if Mel was tempted she is there I believe ;-)

I did see them Maggy but they reminded me of old style thermal long Johns that someone had cut the legs off! :D

Ooooooo .... sexy .... NOT! :$

Archived