Ducato 3.0 Remap

WildDogz

The link to another thread you provided makes interesting reading and illustrates that adjusting a Ducato engine to extract more more is complex and has limitations - so you need to be confident that whoever is doing your remap genuinely knows what they are doing.

I had my 2.8JTD remapped shortly after buying it, by TBTurbo of Lancaster who were doing quite a bit of motorhome work (appearing at shows etc) at the time and had also become Fiat commercial franchise holders. I'd dealt with them before and gained confidence that they were a decent firm and did indeed know their job, even though I didn;t really understand what was going on or what was at stake. They boasted having a dynamometer, so they would show you the power curves before and after. My LHD Hymer truned out to have a more powerful engine than a standard UK Ducato and they were rally pleased with the dynamometer result they got after remapping - or was it rechipping, I didn't know.

Whatever it was it did the trick, lots more power and especially torque, for towing, so I was pleased. Apart from puffs of black smoke from the exhaust sometimes. presumably because of a bit of excess fuel injection, no problems. 40,000 miles later all is still well and I have no regrets.

Unfortunately TBTurbo went bust a few years later, I don't know why. The lesson for me has been that power tweaking can work out well but there is a bit of blind faith in getting someone to do it for you, so choose carefully.

Archived