Ducato door mirrors

Lennythelizard

Like many others, I broke the outer casing on the drivers door mirror. Driver error, all my fault. In an attempt to be 'clever', I bought a second hand complete door mirror with a view to removing the mirror casing and putting that on mine. However, I fell at the first hurdle and couldn't find a way to remove the casing. I removed the glass and the screws holding the casing the metal frame but it wouldn't budge.

Anyone else tried this or am I wasting my time?

Lennythelizard - 2013-09-16 10:16 AM

...or am I wasting my time?

There are (as I expect you've found out) plenty of on-line discussions relating to replacing/repairing/protecting Ducato door-mirrors.

It would seem from these discussions that the type of door-mirror assembly (examples shown here)

http://www.micksgarage.com/body-parts/wing-mirrors-mirror-glass/fiat/ducato/ducato-van-2006-onwards/

fitted to 2006-onwards Ducatos (and to similar-vintage Citroen Relay and Peugeot Boxer models) has the plastic casing that houses the mirror 'welded' to the two arms leading from the casing to the section of the assembly that attaches to the door. As the casing and arms are essentially one-piece, removing the casing from the arms probably isn't a practical proposition.

I'm also doubtful that the casing+arms part of the mirror assembly can be detached from the base part that fixes to the door. If that's so, you'll need to replace your complete broken mirror assembly with the secondhand assembly you've bought (assuming, of course, that the secondhand mirror is identical to your current one). Alternatively, if the existing casing isn't too broken, you might consider fitting mirror-guards to disguise the damage.

http://www.outdoorbits.com/motorhome-mirror-guards-c-156_245_486.html

If you do need to remove the complete mirror assembly, this thread may be helpful

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/door-mirror-replacement-2009-Ducato-save-more-than-200-/20627/

I punched a large hole in my n/s mirror. Fortunately I managed to recover most of the bits. I repaired the hole using zinc sheeting attached to the inside of the casing with plastic padding leaving just enough space to get my finger in. I then used plastic padding to attach the recovered bits and make good the hole and filed/sanded the repair down. Then bought mirror guards to fit over the top.

If you fit mirror guards make sure that you align the guards properly as they can't be moved once they are pushed fully home.

I hit an overhanging fence pole with one of mine and the lower mirror popped out but did not break. The impact was sufficient to cause a small (10mm) crack in the corner of the guard where it goes around the indicator. I have also had a problem due to the trim pulling off while driving for miles down a very narrow road with overhanging bushes/trees branches brushing against the mirror. Despite pushing the trim back on it keep coming away. A glue job I think.

Archived