Electric Steps

Jackal

Join the luddites and replace it with a manual extending step - about 70 quid, and no more problems with the motor thereafter.

Have just replaced the marine ply on the inner step area on our old dog van (as it collapsed!) and re-installed the manual step on a new 18mm marine ply base instead - gorgeous!!!

Cheers,

Bruce.

BGD - 2007-08-22 1:58 AM

Join the luddites and replace it with a manual extending step - about 70 quid, and no more problems with the motor thereafter.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Hi Bruce

Could you please tellme where I can get this manual step from please

Thank you

• 2 months later...
Jackal - 2007-08-21 10:33 PM I have seemingly worn down one or two teeth on the ratchet on the electric step on my 05 Hymer. When I try to activate it it just judders until you give it a helping hand. Is it b****red or is there a quick fix?

If your step is an Omnistep of cassette type, try dismantling it and removing the step itself.  Can be a bit of a fiddle to get back together, though.  However, the mechanism is quite simple, and easy enough to understand once you're in. 

First thing that didn't work right on ours was the step, with similar symptoms, and when I got it apart I discovered it had a lot of road grit in it after a long, wet, journey.  They seem a bit prone to this as the casing isn't as well sealed as it could be. 

Once cleaned, and with the aly and nylon slide bearings lubricated with silicone and the rest with a bit of Gozon dry cycle lubricant, it was transformed.  Worth trying, but don't push any buttons with your fingers inside if you like your fingers!

There's nothing wrong with a "converted wiper motor" as a power unit for steps or many other things Clive. They're cheap, give high torque and in general are very reliable. Think how many times you use your windscreen wipers and how often have you had to replace the motor, not very often I'll wager.

D.

Just to keep to the subject I agree with Brian, electric steps are not rocket science but can be fiddly and Brians warning about pushing switches while fingers are in the mech is spot on.

• 3 weeks later...

My own experience with electric steps is that they are too often positioned where they catch maximum spray from the wheels. This, plus the road grit contained therein, seems not to be too good for either the electrics or the lubrication of the step.

Mel E

====

Mel E - 2007-11-28 10:15 AM

My own experience with electric steps is that they are too often positioned where they catch maximum spray from the wheels. This, plus the road grit contained therein, seems not to be too good for either the electrics or the lubrication of the step.

Mel E

====

i made some mudflaps out of carpet tiles, they stop all the c**p hitting the step and motor, they work much better than the fiat ones at the front that cost£40

Archived