Extra leisure battery

Sonofagun

My new Swift Mondial 09 has a 85ah leisure battery located under the driver's seat. It appears that the battery is fitted on its side with the terminals facing the dashboard. It is an M Tec battery and I want to put another one under the passengers seat. What kind of battery is it ? Hope someone can help.

Tim.

Guest Tracker

If you want to fit a second battery you will need to access the first to do so, so it will have to come out which probably means removing the driver's seat.

Not difficult but seats are heavy so watch the paintwork as you move it.

Once out the label should tell you what it is.

I have no experience of batteries on their side so maybe it is a 'gel' type?

A second battery should be the same capacity and type as the first and ideally in a similar condition.

Tim

"M Tec" seems to produce gel and more 'normal' battery types. See below for the silver-calcium type:

http://www.designfourhosting.co.uk/store/acatalog/lp_leisure_batteries.html

If your battery is indeed lying on its side, then it may well be the (expensive) gel type as these can be installed any-way-up. As Tracker advises, your extra battery should match the original regarding type and, if the original battery is gel type, your extra battery will also need to be gel type.

It is imperative that you confirm exactly what type of leisure battery your Mondial has before thinking about adding an extra one. This should be evident from the battery's labelling. If you can't read the labelling with the cab-seat in place, then you'll need to remove the seat: you can't afford to guess about this and get it wrong.

(Presumably there's nothing in your Mondial's handbook about the type of leisure-battery used? I would have thought that, if Swift had chosen to fit a gel leisure-battery, the motorhome owner should have been made aware of this through the handbook. Then again, maybe not!!)

A few possibilities.

You do get batteries with terminals on there sides not top.

It could be a misunerdstanding and its is fixed lenth of battery across te van like most under seats and terminals are just towards front.

Battery has not been clamped down and fallen over.

Battery is a sealed VRLA gel battery.

Incidently M-Tec is a trading name of Moura batteries and I think if it is gel has probably been manuctured by Exide.

Sonofagun - 2010-02-26 6:01 PM

My new Swift Mondial 09 has a 85ah leisure battery located under the driver's seat. It appears that the battery is fitted on its side with the terminals facing the dashboard. It is an M Tec battery and I want to put another one under the passengers seat. What kind of battery is it ? Hope someone can help.

Tim.

The battery is fitted in the underseat storage space, their is one, storage space that is, under the passenger seat also which probably has a jack in it. You do not have to remove the seat to get battery out. Would suggest you give Swift customer service a ring, they are the most helpful around these days. They will probably give you all the information you need to fit the second battery.

rupert123 - 2010-02-28 12:13 PM

Would suggest you give Swift customer service a ring, they are the most helpful around these days. They will probably give you all the information you need to fit the second battery.

Indeed Swift Customer service is very helpful. They emailed me wiring schematic diagrams to guide me with a problem on my vehicle. Definately the first place to go.

• 2 weeks later...
I rang Swift who told me that it was an AGM battery and I could order one from my local Swift Dealer. I rang the dealer who quoted a price of £209.99 and it would take up to 30 days. I called in Sparesworld ( They have 8 stores in S Waes) last Sat and they said they could get one direct from the importer at a cost of £109.99, am picking it up tomorrow. Quite a saving and great service.

Archived