Finding fuel prices in France and Spain

plwsm2000

While travelling around France and Spain, I have been using a couple of websites that lists the current fuel prices on my route. With the wide variation in fuel prices, these help to get the best price.

For France, the website is

I tend to use the route option (Trajet) to find the best prices on my current route. You need to select the fuel type and press search. You can also search for LPG (GPL) in addition to diesel etc.

For Spain, the website is

[url=] http://geoportalgasolineras.es

I did not find the website that easy to use so I installed the Android app that you can find the link to on the webpage.

Again, I found the route option the best and it shows a map with all the stations on route with a red symbol for the higher priced stations, green for cheapest and yellow for inbetween.

Overall, the prices seemed accurate as they are government monitored rather that relying on user updates.

If anyone knows of similar sites for other countries, then please post them here.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

In the grand plan of life does it really matter if you save or spend a Euro or two more on a tankful of diesel?

I would rather spend my time enjoying my holiday than faffing about looking for cheap fuel, especially in France where cheap fuel can sometimes bring trouble unless you know exactly what you are buying.

We always bought from any convenient supermarket that we happened upon where prices are generally reasonable and it often tied in with a break and a leg stretch on a long haul.

I don’t recall any credible reports of ‘cheap’ fuel in France causing problems, though there were warnings in the late-2000s that the biofuel (petrol) that began to be marketed in France then could damage the motors of older vehicles.

What evidence do you have for your cheap-fuel statement, please? Presumably you were referring to diesel?

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-11 1:55 PM

What evidence do you have for your cheap-fuel statement, please? Presumably you were referring to diesel?

I don't recall the details but there was some talk a few years ago about too much bio content or poorly blended diesel in France and we did have one half tankful that seemed to give inferior performance and caused the engine to smoke a bit.

Fortunately that was a top up because it was cheap following a night stop near Bordeaux rather than a fill up and after 150 miles or so I topped up again jsut inside Spain with some expensive stuff that seemed to restore the equilibrium.

Of course it may all have been just a figment of my imagination but I didn't buy any more exceptionally cheap fuel again to retest the theory.

• 1 year later...

I have an Esso Pump King card.

Every weekend I receive a text message setting out what the price per litre is at every Esso pump in the country for unleaded and diesel. . This is then paid on my pump king card linked to my bank account money source. This is great at a motorway service station or A road where the advertised pump price is expensive while what you actually pay is significantly cheaper. It is usually fractionally more expensive than my local Tesco but not always.

We live in France and run a diesel car ( no motorhome at the moment but I'm working on it ) and we find that it is cheapest to buy our fuel at the local supermarkets. When we travel further afield and need to refill the tank, when the tank reaches quarter full we go to the poi pages of the GPS satnav and search for the nearest convenient supermarket along our route and fill up with what is most likely to be the cheapest fuel in the area. it involves very little inconvenience or extra mileage and saves a fortune.

AGD

The website mentioned by Phil in the original posting of this mid-2018 forum thread should provide the most reliable details of the least expensive fuel prices in a given area of France or during a trip.

Looking at current prices of diesel at ‘supermarkets' in the Lot departement retrieved 34 entries, with the (euros per litre) price ranging from 1.379 at Carrefour Market at PRAYSSAC to 1.479 at SPAR at VAYRAC.

• 4 months later...

Archived