First Aid

Brock

Having been scalded on my last motorhome outing, I was grateful that our First Aid kit contained BurnShield pads which help take the heat out of the burn. These pads, or similar, are often a standard piece of kit in First Aid kits.

I am told normal treatment for scalds/burns is to run tepid water over the area affected for 20 minutes. Not easy in a motorhome. I was lucky. 440mls of boiling hot tea was deposited on my right thigh. A combination of some water - nowhere near 20 minutes worth, the pads and the Community Hospital which was within walking distance meant my burn only took off the first layer of skin over c60 sq inches.

My tip is to ensure your motorhome first aid kit is kept up to date and will deal with the risks you face in the van. I'm not a first aid expert so I cannot advise you on content but I am grateful that we have always kept the van's first aid kit up to date by reviewing it annually. Those who motorhome in the wilds may benefit from a first aid course [my wife is first aid trained].

I find Aloe Vera , most effective for small burns I keep a plant on my kitchen window sill, for when i need it.

I am quiet good at getting burnt from my oven!!

You can get balm in a jar . Or keep a small plant in van, and break the leaves to get sap, for burns . It works for me

PJay

I've been disappointed with the stuff I got from Aldi of late.

I got a DVD player that would only play 4:3 picture (eg Dad's Army DVDs) in stretched wide format - but they gave me a no-quibble full refund.

Got some silver metal paint - made in Germany- for my van wheels that was rusting through in a couple of months. Then I did them with Hammerite Smooth Silver thats been on over 2 years with no sign of rust.

• 4 months later...

A basic first aid course will cost around £75 and is money well spent. Responding correctly to a burn is one of the things taught.

Incidentally we were told by our tutor that at least from a first aid perspective don't distinguish between a scald and a burn.

The first aid equipment (especially dressings) sold by First Aid Organisations such as St Johns (St Andrews in Scotland) is different and arguably more useful for "real" situations and easier to use than the sort of kit you buy from Halfords or a Pharmacy. St Johns also have a very good First Aid App which is well worth having on your phone.

• 3 months later...
hi there buy a burns kit to put along side your first aid kit ive combined my first aid kit with my burns kit and and put together and made a fpos kit (first person on scene) as im fully fpos trained and im a casualty on a fpos and mira course I can highly recommend that you enrol on a fpos/mira course as its very useful to know mira stands for Medicene in remote areas

Archived