Fly Screen - Autotrail Apache 2013

KenR

The Concertina type fly screen on my Autotrail Apache has lost it's "rigidity". By that I mean, the tensioning cords have become detached. I am told by Autotrail, the door type is Cara- D RF L/H Door Dometic Seitz.

I have checked with the supplying dealer, surprise, surprise, the warranty (in the third year) does not cover this, since it is regarded as wear and tear.

Does anyone out there know, how to remove the fly screen cassette from the inside of the habitation door frame?

Has anyone out there managed to fix similar problem?

If yes, to either or both questions, would you be kind enough to share your knowledge?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ninian.

Yes, if no-one on here knows, then I would probably try Dometic Seitz.

However, since they did not assemble the unit into the Autotrail Campervan, it would, in my mind, be understandable if they were unable to answer.

Autotrail, on the other hand, did assemble the unit into the van, so, you would think, they might like to show a bit of customer service, and, say, EMail me some guidelines (at my own risk of course).

No such luck.

My first, and last Autotrail.

Ken

Normally I wouldn't plug the competition magazine, but this month's issue has the information for re-tensioning Seitz blinds & flyscreens for windows in text & picture form.. May not be what you want but should give you an understanding.

Not familiar with your door but it may have push-pin rivets holding the inner skin. If so push the pin through to release the rivets. Most of the pins will push into the door insulation for retrieval once the skin is removed. When all the rivets have been removed the skin may be held with Velcro also.

The door screen frame on my outfit is removed by lifting each side 10 to 12 mm then pulling away from the keyhole stud fixings. When I took mine off it was stiff to start with and I had to use a screwdriver under each side piece to get it off.

However, once mine was off the van I discovered that the tension had simply been lost and that the cords had not become detached. So check yours before removing the entire assembly as it can be adjusted in situ..

There are two tension adjusters, one in the upper track for the bottom three cords and one in the lower track for the top three. The one in the upper track can be seen if you look carefully, the lower one on mine is hidden beneath the dirt excluding brushes but can be seen if you part the bristles. To adjust use an allen key to slacken off the set-screw in the small bar and slide it along in the track until tension against the spring is felt. Tighten up the set-screw with some tension still on and try the screen for operation.

Archived