GEL Battery help

potjoe

We too needed to change the Gel battery in our Hymer and looked at fitting two batteries, but could not get them in the alloted space, so in the end we bought a 130 amp battery. There was not much different in size from the original 80amp battery. We purchased it from Pheonix Batteries who are nearly always at the shows, we paid £95 which we thougth was a good price, we have used it all year in conjunction with our solar panel and had no problems at all, just a thought if two won't fit in your alloted space. Carol.

Guest Tracker

Or you might consider buying two new 'normal' leisure batteries to pair up, and keep the old Gel type as a spare?

A spare battery is never money wasted in my view specially if it is kept fully charged and easy to access and deploy.

It's to do with the way they are charged up so you need to make sure your van's charger can charge the 'normal' type of batter (or vice versa if you are changing from normal to gel), othrewise if you charge it wrongly it won't last very long at all.

Replacing with one larger power battery, rather than 2 smaller ones, could be more beneficial. When using battery power you can only discharge it to a certain level, can't remember the exact percentage, but for two batteries each would then be taken down to this percentage so overall you are actually getting less power out of them. I hope that makes sense!

Thank you all for the info thats why i was looking for another battery to put with the one on the Hymer as the the one on is a Gel (new).But looking to find the best price for one .Regards John

PS: is there no one going down to Spain in Nov 20-07?.

Easiest thing, I think, is for you to do a GOOGLE search of UK web-pages using the key-term "Exide gel battery", as this retrieves plenty of potential suppliers. The asking prices do seem to vary quite a bit and you'd need to check whether or not carriage is included or if it's practical for you to collect. (Might have been helpful if we knew roughly where you live.) The following link looked promising price-wise:

www.hampshiremotorhomes.co.uk/electrical.html

Exide gel batteries won't be cheap, whoever the supplier is. I doubt if you can obtain a non-Exide equivalent capacity gel battery at a bargain price but, if you can, there's no great reason not to do so. As long as your parallel-connected batteries are the same type, have a similar capacity and are pretty much the same age, it's not essential that they be manufactured by the same company.

The later Hymer usually has the charging unit fitted under a drop in panel.

The charger should have a small switch for selecting the charging regime to either gel or wet batteries. Wet batteries will need ventilation tubes to the outside air fitted. My Hymer was operated on two wet leisure batteries for three years with no problems.

Don't be tempted to mix the battery types. Both must be either gel or both wet. Hope this helps

Copied from my previous post

Importers (Hymer and Brownhills) say that you must only use the gel type as origionally fitted.(Expensive)

I fitted two liquid lead acid batteries to my new Hymer 14 months ago together with a 65 watt solar panel and regulator. To date this works well and to date I have not had to resort to mains charging.

You must however take the following precautions regarding charging regime and ventilation.

The manufacturer(Schaudt)of the Electroblock EBL 100 charging/distribution unit fitted to most recent Hymers has written to me and state that their charging unit is capable of working with either gel or liquid lead acid batteries to no detriment of either the batteries or their unit.

1. To change battery types the charging rate must be changed. To do this a small sliding switch marked Batterie-Wahl on the unit has to be moved to the type being used.

They do stress that battery types must not be mixed ie use two gel or two liquid lead acid batteries.

2. The latter will need venting through the floor with the venting being done through a small flexible plastic tube.

Your charging unit is located under the small storage unit on the offside of the vehicle.If it is made by Schaudt they can be contacted at www.schaudt-gmbh.de

Archived